Another reason to hate our name...

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql%2Cpostgres%
2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

(Yes, I tried with MSSQL, Oracle and MySQL as well... the results...
weren't pretty)

Re: Another reason to hate our name...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim,

> (Yes, I tried with MSSQL, Oracle and MySQL as well... the results...
> weren't pretty)

There are so many problems with that tool from a data perspetive that I
resolved to ignore it from the day I saw it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Another reason to hate our name...

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hello Jim,

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 18:21 -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql%2Cpostgres%
> 2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
>
> (Yes, I tried with MSSQL, Oracle and MySQL as well... the results...
> weren't pretty)

Did you also try with MS, OracleSQL and My? Removing SQL from Postgre(s)
is the same as this, I think.

I don't see a point in changing our name -- let's focus on new features,
new marketing ideas, etc. If a person does not use PostgreSQL because of
our name, then he/she may surely drop, I don't care.

Re: Another reason to hate our name...

From
"Liam O'Duibhir"

I share Devrim's view. As someone who is principally concerned with the business perception of PostgreSQL, as opposed to its technical noteworthiness, I can't see a lot of point in attempting a rebranding exercise at this point in time. Energies would be better directed at marketing the product more aggressively, I feel.

The PostgreSQL 'brand', for all its awkwardness, is well established and phenomenally successful (though there is infinitely more that can be achieved). Its name is just not a strong aspect of its 'sales appeal'. There are plenty of precedents for this with commercially successful products, in my subjective opinion.

I would rather see the debate move to just that, how to better present PostgreSQL's commercial attractiveness - cost benefits, return on investment, strategic advantages etc...

Regards,

Liam

Liam O'Duibhir - Product Manager - Open Source Software

Fujitsu Australia Software Technology

14 Rodborough Road, Frenchs Forest NSW 2086

Tel: (61-2) 9452 9068 Fax: (61-2) 9975 3779

Mob: 0423 025 852 Email: LiamOD@fast.fujitsu.com.au

http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html

baa@brucealderman.info
Date:
"PostgreSQL. It's easier to use than to pronounce."

--
Bruce Alderman
"It Seems to Me..." http://www.brucealderman.info/blog/

"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 03:33:31AM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 18:21 -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
> > http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql%2Cpostgres%
> > 2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
> >
> > (Yes, I tried with MSSQL, Oracle and MySQL as well... the results...
> > weren't pretty)
>
> Did you also try with MS, OracleSQL and My? Removing SQL from Postgre(s)
> is the same as this, I think.

How is 'My' at all equivalent to 'MySQL'??

Apparently my point was too subtle... If people weren't inconsistently
searching for Postgres instead of PostgreSQL we would be above DB2 in
search volume, which I think is a milestone.