slony / press??

From
Jussi Mikkola
Date:
Hi,

I have noticed, that Slony is about to have a new version soon. (I think
some of the Slony people are on this list.)

I was wondering, if pgsql-advocacy is going to do something around this?
For example press releases? I think replication is one of those things
that people ask most, and a Slony press release would also bring more
media space for postgresql.

I haven't seen any press related stuff on the Slony mailing list, so I
don't know what the people working on Slony think about this.

I just want to start the discussion. And of course, there are also other
projects than Slony that could benefit of a similar co-operation. Maybe
we should consider those too.

Rgs,

Jussi
PostgreSQL contact in Finland

Re: slony / press??

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jussi Mikkola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed, that Slony is about to have a new version soon. (I think
> some of the Slony people are on this list.)
>
> I was wondering, if pgsql-advocacy is going to do something around this?
> For example press releases?

I am not sure that pgsql-advovacy is the place to press for another
project? We could make sure the PWN would have it, and we can put a
release notice on the postgresql.org website.

What exactly did you have in mind?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: slony / press??

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh, Jussi,

> > I was wondering, if pgsql-advocacy is going to do something around
> > this? For example press releases?
>
> I am not sure that pgsql-advovacy is the place to press for another
> project? We could make sure the PWN would have it, and we can put a
> release notice on the postgresql.org website.

No, this is the right place.  Slony-I is a "postgresql project"; from my
perspective, anything which is "our community" is entitled to PR help from
PostgreSQL advocacy.   Heck, I do enough for the *companies* that support
us.

I've already talked, briefly, to the Slony folks about doing a release.  I
think it's a good idea.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: slony / press??

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> > So, how about you stop grousing about Slony getting press and start
> > working on a PL/* press release?
>
> Alright, alright. You want a release for all of them?

Yeah, I was thinking a "PostgreSQL expands PL support" with the CMD
languages and PL/Java.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: slony / press??

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>>> So, how about you stop grousing about Slony getting press and start
>>> working on a PL/* press release?
>> Alright, alright. You want a release for all of them?
>
> Yeah, I was thinking a "PostgreSQL expands PL support" with the CMD
> languages and PL/Java.

Alright. I will get to work on it.

    === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===No, this is the
right place.  Slony-I is a "postgresql project"; from my
perspective,
              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: slony / press??

From
Chris Browne
Date:
jussi.mikkola@bonware.com (Jussi Mikkola) writes:
> I have noticed, that Slony is about to have a new version soon. (I think
> some of the Slony people are on this list.)

You would think right...

Based on the paucity of complaints about the "pre-candidate," it
probably makes sense to start proposing release candidates soon.

> I was wondering, if pgsql-advocacy is going to do something around
> this?  For example press releases? I think replication is one of
> those things that people ask most, and a Slony press release would
> also bring more media space for postgresql.

We have release notes under way...

http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/slony1-engine/RELEASE-1.2.0?rev=1.3;content-type=text%2Fplain;cvsroot=slony1

Certainly announcements on PostgreSQL fora are planned...

> I haven't seen any press related stuff on the Slony mailing list, so
> I don't know what the people working on Slony think about this.

We tend to send "press releases" to PostgreSQL lists, and watch things
emerge from there...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html

Re: slony / press??

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andy,

> We're happy to also offer some help in drafting and/or editing this
> release. In fact, as a general rule, I'm happy to contribute
> professional PR people's time to any PostgreSQL community press
> releases, just as a service. In this particular case, we'd also
> appreciate a brief mention as a sponsor of the PL/Java work. Thanks,

You're sponsoring Thomas?  I'd no idea.

Anyway, I'll try to figure out a reporter to pitch the story to.
Actually, the fact that CMD and EDB are nominially competitors gives this
story an additional slant.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: slony / press??

From
"Andy Astor"
Date:
Yup. Just a stipend, but we think additional PLs are an important addition,
and very much in line with the other work we do. Thanks, Josh.

andy

Re: slony / press??

From
Jussi Mikkola
Date:
Hi Chris,

I was thinking,that we could translate something, and then send the
material to the local press contacts. Similarly, as is done with new
PostgreSQL releases. (Though there is usually a lot of discussion,
versions and time before having that something ready ;-)

One reason for this is, that PostgreSQL does not launch new releases
that often. So people forget us. So I think that the PostgreSQL
community would also benefit by supporting other PostgreSQL related
projects. And I don't see any reason, why all the different projects
would need to have an advocacy group of their own.

Of course, maybe some people don't like Slony or some other project, and
don't like to support it. But I guess we should be able to live with it.
They will just ignore that project, and that's it.

And well, I think this is just a matter of people and projects helping
each other. I'm sure, that if you would need features in PostgreSQL that
would make replication faster, easier or whaterever, you would surely
get help from the hackers. So, why should the advocacy be any different?

Rgs,

Jussi

Chris Browne wrote:
> jussi.mikkola@bonware.com (Jussi Mikkola) writes:
>
>> I have noticed, that Slony is about to have a new version soon. (I think
>> some of the Slony people are on this list.)
>>

> You would think right...
>
> Based on the paucity of complaints about the "pre-candidate," it
> probably makes sense to start proposing release candidates soon.
>

>> I was wondering, if pgsql-advocacy is going to do something around
>> this?  For example press releases? I think replication is one of
>> those things that people ask most, and a Slony press release would
>> also bring more media space for postgresql.
>>

> We have release notes under way...

http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/slony1-engine/RELEASE-1.2.0?rev=1.3;content-type=text%2Fplain;cvsroot=slony1

> Certainly announcements on PostgreSQL fora are planned...
>

>> I haven't seen any press related stuff on the Slony mailing list, so
>> I don't know what the people working on Slony think about this.
>>

> We tend to send "press releases" to PostgreSQL lists, and watch things
> emerge from there...

Re: slony / press??

From
Michael Dean
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Andy,
>

>>We're happy to also offer some help in drafting and/or editing this
>>release. In fact, as a general rule, I'm happy to contribute
>>professional PR people's time to any PostgreSQL community press
>>releases, just as a service. In this particular case, we'd also
>>appreciate a brief mention as a sponsor of the PL/Java work. Thanks,
>>

>You're sponsoring Thomas?  I'd no idea.
>
>Anyway, I'll try to figure out a reporter to pitch the story to.
>Actually, the fact that CMD and EDB are nominially competitors gives this
>story an additional slant.

I would appreciate recing your press notices.  Thank you.  Michael