Postgresql Certifications.

From
"Rajesh Sharma"
Date:
I was surprised to find this
on google webclips.

I think certifications should be strictly under our community control, rather than some other vendor issuing Postgresql certified profressionals certificates.
Providing training is fine, but not issuing certificates for the same.

This could be even one of the measure for the community to raise funds and rightly identify PG candidates.

-- Luckys.

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/17/06, Rajesh Sharma <luckysharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think certifications should be strictly under our community control,
> rather than some other vendor issuing Postgresql certified profressionals
> certificates.

I have an idea, we'll register PostgreSQL as a trademark and charge a
fee for any vendor or consultant that says PostgreSQL-anything; that
way no one can have certifications unless they're under contract with
us!  Better yet, they have to pay us royalties for using the
PostgreSQL name and providing downloads of the software.

It isn't April Fools again, is it?  Because I don't know where you've
been living, but in most parts of the world, companies are free to do
pretty much whatever they want.

Frankly, certification is a business venture and not something an open
source project should get into managing.  I believe this was discussed
in the archives before.

Besides, it seems pretty "proprietary" to limit certification to the
project itself doesn't it???  I was pretty sure this was "open"
source.

Oh well, I'm done laughing now.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
"Dave Page"
> I have an idea, we'll register PostgreSQL as a trademark

Marc already did.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
On 4/17/06, Rajesh Sharma <luckysharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think certifications should be strictly under our community control,
> rather than some other vendor issuing Postgresql certified profressionals
> certificates.

I have an idea, we'll register PostgreSQL as a trademark and charge a
fee for any vendor or consultant that says PostgreSQL-anything; that
way no one can have certifications unless they're under contract with
us!  Better yet, they have to pay us royalties for using the
PostgreSQL name and providing downloads of the software.

It isn't April Fools again, is it?  Because I don't know where you've
been living, but in most parts of the world, companies are free to do
pretty much whatever they want.

Frankly, certification is a business venture and not something an open
source project should get into managing.  I believe this was discussed
in the archives before.

Besides, it seems pretty "proprietary" to limit certification to the
project itself doesn't it???  I was pretty sure this was "open"
source.

Oh well, I'm done laughing now.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

       match

Date:
On 4/17/06, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:
> Marc already did.

I admit, registering the trademark is valid for legal reasons.  I was
making a point of absurdity.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 17 April 2006 08:36, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:
> > Marc already did.
>
> I admit, registering the trademark is valid for legal reasons.  I was
> making a point of absurdity.

That is is better to allow companies like microsoft or mysql to become the
defacto oraganization for getting "postgresql-anything" rather than allowing
the established postgresql community to have some influence over things?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
"Dave Page"

> I admit, registering the trademark is valid for legal reasons.  I was
> making a point of absurdity.

Yeah, I know. Just couldn't think of a suitably witty acknowledgement :-(

/D

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
On 4/17/06, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:
> Marc already did.

I admit, registering the trademark is valid for legal reasons.  I was
making a point of absurdity.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Monday 17 April 2006 08:36, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>> On 4/17/06, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Marc already did.
>>
>> I admit, registering the trademark is valid for legal reasons.  I was
>> making a point of absurdity.
>>

> That is is better to allow companies like microsoft or mysql to become the
> defacto oraganization for getting "postgresql-anything" rather than allowing
> the established postgresql community to have some influence over things?

Hasn't SRA been offering certification for awhile now?

----

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Rajesh Sharma wrote:
> I think certifications should be strictly under our community
> control, rather than some other vendor issuing Postgresql certified
> profressionals certificates.

As long as their program is not set up in a way that deceives people
into believing that the PostgreSQL community or some such endorses or
conducts the program, I don't see anything that you can do about it.

They are not the only company doing PostgreSQL certifications, FWIW.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
On Monday 17 April 2006 12:22, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:
> >>
> >> I admit, registering the trademark is valid for legal reasons.  I was
> >> making a point of absurdity.
> >
> > That is is better to allow companies like microsoft or mysql to become
> > the defacto oraganization for getting "postgresql-anything" rather than
> > allowing the established postgresql community to have some influence over
> > things?
>
> Hasn't SRA been offering certification for awhile now?

Yes (I happen to be a SRA PostgreSQL Certified Engineer, and encourage others
to get certified) but (taking Jonah's absurd postulate to the other extreme)
if micrsoft were to desire it, they could easily start up thier own
certification for postgresql and probably fairly quickly have numbers over
SRA.

While i don't believe that will happen, there are some scenarios floating
around about them doing a msose (microsoft open source engineer) where people
would certify knowledge of key components of open source software running on
windows platforms or interacting with windows products (think setting up an
open source mail system with exchange at the heart of it).  PostgreSQL comes
into this picture generally as a way to combat mysql from eating up the low
end market that sql server used to own. It could lead to some form of
embracing and extending of postgresql tied back into thier certification; we
wouldn't be the first bsd licensed application that they have gotten involved
with.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Monday 17 April 2006 12:22, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> That is is better to allow companies like microsoft or mysql to become
>>> the defacto oraganization for getting "postgresql-anything" rather than
>>> allowing the established postgresql community to have some influence over
>>> things?
>>
>> Hasn't SRA been offering certification for awhile now?
>>

> Yes (I happen to be a SRA PostgreSQL Certified Engineer, and encourage others
> to get certified) but (taking Jonah's absurd postulate to the other extreme)
> if micrsoft were to desire it, they could easily start up thier own
> certification for postgresql and probably fairly quickly have numbers over
> SRA.
>
> While i don't believe that will happen, there are some scenarios floating
> around about them doing a msose (microsoft open source engineer) where people
> would certify knowledge of key components of open source software running on
> windows platforms or interacting with windows products (think setting up an
> open source mail system with exchange at the heart of it).  PostgreSQL comes
> into this picture generally as a way to combat mysql from eating up the low
> end market that sql server used to own. It could lead to some form of
> embracing and extending of postgresql tied back into thier certification; we
> wouldn't be the first bsd licensed application that they have gotten involved
> with.

'k, and this is a bad thing because ... ?

----

Date:
On Monday 17 April 2006 13:44, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

> >> Hasn't SRA been offering certification for awhile now?
> >
> > Yes (I happen to be a SRA PostgreSQL Certified Engineer, and encourage
> > others to get certified) but (taking Jonah's absurd postulate to the
> > other extreme) if micrsoft were to desire it, they could easily start up
> > thier own certification for postgresql and probably fairly quickly have
> > numbers over SRA.
> >
> > While i don't believe that will happen, there are some scenarios floating
> > around about them doing a msose (microsoft open source engineer) where
> > people would certify knowledge of key components of open source software
> > running on windows platforms or interacting with windows products (think
> > setting up an open source mail system with exchange at the heart of it).
> > PostgreSQL comes into this picture generally as a way to combat mysql
> > from eating up the low end market that sql server used to own. It could
> > lead to some form of embracing and extending of postgresql tied back into
> > thier certification; we wouldn't be the first bsd licensed application
> > that they have gotten involved with.
>
> 'k, and this is a bad thing because ... ?

I might be a great thing. OTOH it could turn into a total cluster like the
whole Microsfot/Sun Java debacle.  Having some measure of control over what
is deemed to be "postgresql-whatever" is not inherently bad.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

> I might be a great thing. OTOH it could turn into a total cluster like
> the whole Microsfot/Sun Java debacle.  Having some measure of control
> over what is deemed to be "postgresql-whatever" is not inherently bad.

So, what *should* happen instead of trying to say how can offer, there
should be a list maintained on *our* web site for those that are
considered "Community Approved" ... or, better, "Community Recommended"

----

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:
>> On Monday 17 April 2006 12:22, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> ...(microsoft open source engineer)...
>
> 'k, and this is a bad thing because ... ?

I think it could be a very good thing for the project.
I've seen some technology managers suggest that it could
be better to use Oracle and MySQL because it's easier
to find trained engineers with those backgrounds.

If every company out there started selling PostgreSQL
certifications (say, for $5 and a web-form) it'd quickly
look to hiring managers that PostgreSQL was a more popular
platform than MySQL.   For the clueless managers who care
about such things, it would hardly matter that most of those
certifications don't mean much; and for the managers who
did care, hopefully they'd either know which certifications
to trust (I hear the SRA one is a very good one) or ask
their own interview questions.

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 15:35 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > I might be a great thing. OTOH it could turn into a total cluster like
> > the whole Microsfot/Sun Java debacle.  Having some measure of control
> > over what is deemed to be "postgresql-whatever" is not inherently bad.
>
> So, what *should* happen instead of trying to say how can offer, there
> should be a list maintained on *our* web site for those that are
> considered "Community Approved" ... or, better, "Community Recommended"

I think the community, unless it is going to develop a community
certification should stay out of it.

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Postgresql Certifications.

From
"Richard T Romanik"
Date:
Robert,

Thanks, A few months ago we offered * free * vouchers to the community to take the certification  test and by a overwhelming margin
all who took the exam said it was a very good exam.

Rich

Richard T. Romanik
Vice President, Sales
SRA AMERICA (Formerly of One WTC)
PostgreSQL Services: Consulting, Migration, Support and Training
One Penn Plaza, Suite 1910
New York, NY 10119

Tel:  212.244.8833.52
Cell: 917.365.8700