Re: Postgresql Certifications. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Postgresql Certifications.
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
-----Original Message-----
From: "Jonah H. Harris"<jonah.harris@gmail.com>
Sent: 17/04/06 11:58:37
To: "Rajesh Sharma"<luckysharma@gmail.com>
Cc: "pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org"<pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Postgresql Certifications.

> I have an idea, we'll register PostgreSQL as a trademark

Marc already did.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
On 4/17/06, Rajesh Sharma <luckysharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think certifications should be strictly under our community control,
> rather than some other vendor issuing Postgresql certified profressionals
> certificates.

I have an idea, we'll register PostgreSQL as a trademark and charge a
fee for any vendor or consultant that says PostgreSQL-anything; that
way no one can have certifications unless they're under contract with
us!  Better yet, they have to pay us royalties for using the
PostgreSQL name and providing downloads of the software.

It isn't April Fools again, is it?  Because I don't know where you've
been living, but in most parts of the world, companies are free to do
pretty much whatever they want.

Frankly, certification is a business venture and not something an open
source project should get into managing.  I believe this was discussed
in the archives before.

Besides, it seems pretty "proprietary" to limit certification to the
project itself doesn't it???  I was pretty sure this was "open"
source.

Oh well, I'm done laughing now.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

       match