Case studies (was: [PERFORM] big databases & hospitals])

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Any reason why there's a lot more detail in the daemonnews post than in
our posted case study?

----- Forwarded message from Tomka Gergely <tomka@zeus.gau.hu> -----

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:55:49 +0100 (CET)
From: Tomka Gergely <tomka@zeus.gau.hu>
To: Chris Mair <list@1006.org>
Cc: psql performance list <pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] big databases & hospitals

2006-01-14 ragyog? napj?n Chris Mair ezt ?zente:

> > Additionally, because this company develops hospital information systems,
> > if someone knows about a medical institute, which uses Postgresql, and
> > happy, please send me infomation. I only now subscribed to the advocacy
> > list, and only started to browse the archives.
>
> Hi,
>
> have you seen this case study:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/shannonmedical

Yes, and i found this page:

http://advocacy.daemonnews.org/viewtopic.php?t=82

which is better than this small something on the postgres page. Quotes
like this:

"The FreeBSD/PostgreSQL combination is extremely flexible and
robust."

the sweetest music for us. But two example better than one, and i can't
find technical details, the size of the data, by example. I can only guess
the architecture (single node, single cpu, no HA or expensive RAID,
because AFAIK FreeBSD in 2000 was not to good in this areas).

Thanks, of course!

--
Tomka Gergely
Tudom, anyu. Sapka, s?l, doksi.

               http://archives.postgresql.org

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: Case studies (was: [PERFORM] big databases &

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> Any reason why there's a lot more detail in the daemonnews post than in
> our posted case study?

>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/shannonmedical
> http://advocacy.daemonnews.org/viewtopic.php?t=82

Maybe they have better marketing people :) I wrote some laudation now, in
Hungarian, and in the next few days, i need to wrote about a nice
solution. Compared to BASF this is a small thing, but more than nothing. I
only need someone, who can write english, because i can't :)

--
Tomka Gergely, gergely@tomka.hu, gergely.tomka.huy

Date:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:41:09AM +0100, Tomka Gergely wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >Any reason why there's a lot more detail in the daemonnews post than in
> >our posted case study?
>
> >>http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/shannonmedical
> >http://advocacy.daemonnews.org/viewtopic.php?t=82
>
> Maybe they have better marketing people :) I wrote some laudation now, in
> Hungarian, and in the next few days, i need to wrote about a nice
> solution. Compared to BASF this is a small thing, but more than nothing. I
> only need someone, who can write english, because i can't :)

In this case it looks more like whoever did the case study on our
website just took bits and pieces of that post, which seems the exact
opposite of what you'd want.

In your case, I'm pretty sure we have a hungarian translator; perhaps
they can assist you?