Re: PostgreSQL and case insensitivity...

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Guys,

I'm forwarding this email for your comments.

On January 15, 2006 09:51 am, Charles Phares wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Yet another solution which I
> was unaware of.  Must do a closer read of the documentation!  :)
>
> The regexp functions are great for doing equality tests, but they
> will not help with ranged searches or inequality tests.  (i.e.
> greater than or less than)
>
> I really require full-feature support for case insensitivity.
>
> The project page for CITEXT -- http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/
> citext/faq/faq.php?faq_id=105 -- claims that PostgreSQL is unable to
> define the collating sequence of characters.  This seems to be the
> root of my problem.  I know that other database systems -- Sybase &
> Microsoft SQL Server for instance -- use a user selectable server
> wide collation sequence to implement case insensitivity.  This seems
> to be the best solution for portability and compatibility with other
> RDBMS systems.
>
> What would it take to rally the PostgreSQL community to embrace this
> problem?

Re: PostgreSQL and case insensitivity...

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
The problem with using colation order is that it's database-wide. If you
then need case-sensitive ordering on some field you're outa luck. If you
could define colation on a per-field basis it would be a bit different.

I'm also not sure what this has to do with advocacy...

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:35:28AM -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm forwarding this email for your comments.
>
> On January 15, 2006 09:51 am, Charles Phares wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Yet another solution which I
> > was unaware of.  Must do a closer read of the documentation!  :)
> >
> > The regexp functions are great for doing equality tests, but they
> > will not help with ranged searches or inequality tests.  (i.e.
> > greater than or less than)
> >
> > I really require full-feature support for case insensitivity.
> >
> > The project page for CITEXT -- http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/
> > citext/faq/faq.php?faq_id=105 -- claims that PostgreSQL is unable to
> > define the collating sequence of characters.  This seems to be the
> > root of my problem.  I know that other database systems -- Sybase &
> > Microsoft SQL Server for instance -- use a user selectable server
> > wide collation sequence to implement case insensitivity.  This seems
> > to be the best solution for portability and compatibility with other
> > RDBMS systems.
> >
> > What would it take to rally the PostgreSQL community to embrace this
> > problem?

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: PostgreSQL and case insensitivity...

From
elein
Date:
Just for the record, you can create a data type and implement
the sort order you want on that data type.  This is done
by overriding the > < = operators and functions.
A standard example for illustra/informix is/was name fields which
sorted Mc Mac names together.

To use regex stuff you would need to override those functions.

--elein
elein@varlena.com

Date:
On Monday 16 January 2006 15:30, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> The problem with using colation order is that it's database-wide. If you
> then need case-sensitive ordering on some field you're outa luck. If you
> could define colation on a per-field basis it would be a bit different.
>
> I'm also not sure what this has to do with advocacy...

I posted here because of the nature of the question. Which mail-list do you think this is most appropriate?

Re: PostgreSQL and case insensitivity...

Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 15:30, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > The problem with using colation order is that it's database-wide. If you
> > then need case-sensitive ordering on some field you're outa luck. If you
> > could define colation on a per-field basis it would be a bit different.
> >
> > I'm also not sure what this has to do with advocacy...
>

> I posted here because of the nature of the question. Which mail-list do you think this is most appropriate?

I have trouble understanding how this matches "advocacy" in your mind.

Anyway, general would be best for this.

Date:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:02:26AM -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 15:30, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > The problem with using colation order is that it's database-wide. If you
> > then need case-sensitive ordering on some field you're outa luck. If you
> > could define colation on a per-field basis it would be a bit different.
> >
> > I'm also not sure what this has to do with advocacy...
>

> I posted here because of the nature of the question. Which mail-list do you think this is most appropriate?

-general; maybe -hackers if it was a specific call for action.