anniversary

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Hi there,

do we have exact date of conference "PostgreSQL Anniversary" ?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: anniversary

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> do we have exact date of conference "PostgreSQL Anniversary" ?

Yes, I have:

    July 7-9, 2006      Toronto, Canada      PostgreSQL Anniversary

Re: anniversary

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Yes, I have:
>
>     July 7-9, 2006      Toronto, Canada      PostgreSQL Anniversary

Mind you, due to the relatively low response numbers to the survey, the
organizers (me, Peter, Andrew, Robert) are currently arguing about
whether it's a good idea to go ahead as planned, whether we should
cancel, or whether we should propose changing the format of the event.

--Josh

Re: anniversary

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
ok, I miss the survey. I'm interesting because I and Alexey Borzov
are working on PostgreSQL book and our publisher likes an idea to put
some buzz words about 10th anniversary of PostgreSQL. btw, are there any
legal issue with this ? My idea is to have printed books and present
it on conference.

     Oleg
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Bruce,
>
>> Yes, I have:
>>
>>     July 7-9, 2006      Toronto, Canada      PostgreSQL
>> Anniversary
>>

> Mind you, due to the relatively low response numbers to the survey, the
> organizers (me, Peter, Andrew, Robert) are currently arguing about whether
> it's a good idea to go ahead as planned, whether we should cancel, or whether
> we should propose changing the format of the event.
>
> --Josh

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: anniversary

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> ok, I miss the survey.

Oh, good, fill it out please:
http://thepostgresqlfoundation.org/survey

> I'm interesting because I and Alexey Borzov
> are working on PostgreSQL book and our publisher likes an idea to put
> some buzz words about 10th anniversary of PostgreSQL. btw, are there any
> legal issue with this ? My idea is to have printed books and present
> it on conference.

I wouldn't have any issue with it.  I'm very keen to get you to the
anniversary (if we go ahead) to present on GiST.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: anniversary

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> ok, I miss the survey.
>
> Oh, good, fill it out please:
> http://thepostgresqlfoundation.org/survey
>
>> I'm interesting because I and Alexey Borzov
>> are working on PostgreSQL book and our publisher likes an idea to put
>> some buzz words about 10th anniversary of PostgreSQL. btw, are there any
>> legal issue with this ? My idea is to have printed books and present
>> it on conference.
>
> I wouldn't have any issue with it.  I'm very keen to get you to the
> anniversary (if we go ahead) to present on GiST.

It depends on many factors, unfortunately. I'd be very happy to present
a new version of tsearch2 and discuss how to integrate it into pgsql.
afaik, Teodor is also would love to come to the conference. Do we really
need conference ? What's wrong just go to some nice lake, make a roast, drink
a bit. It should be much cheaper ? Probably, Mark know such places.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: anniversary

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Bruce,
>
>> Yes, I have:
>>
>>     July 7-9, 2006      Toronto, Canada      PostgreSQL
>> Anniversary
>>

> Mind you, due to the relatively low response numbers to the survey, the
> organizers (me, Peter, Andrew, Robert) are currently arguing about whether
> it's a good idea to go ahead as planned, whether we should cancel, or whether
> we should propose changing the format of the event.

What is the format of the event?  I've heard "conference" at some point,
which, to me, brings up images of something like "PostgreSQLWorld" (to
steal from Linux) ...

----

Re: anniversary

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> What is the format of the event?  I've heard "conference" at some
> point, which, to me, brings up images of something like
> "PostgreSQLWorld" (to steal from Linux) ...

Certainly there is going to be a significant social component, but we
have to keep up the pretense of doing some actual work there.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: anniversary

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Neil,

> For curiosity's sake, were there a small number of total responses to
> the survey, or did most of the respondents indicate that they wouldn't
> be likely to attend?
>
> (If the first, it might just be that not very many people saw the survey
> or bothered to fill it out...)

Just not many responses.  Pretty much people only filled it out if they
wanted to attend.

> I've volunteered to help organize in the past, so do let me know if I
> can be of any help.

OK.  As soon as we book the space, we'll be expanding the conference
committee (and probably starting a project around it).

> One idea that comes to mind is having the anniversary as a
> "mini-conference" associated with a conference that a lot of Postgres
> folks will be attending anyway -- for example, OSCON '06 is only two
> weeks after the "official" anniversary date.

Craparoonie, I hadn't realize that OSCON was early this year.   I don't
think we can afford to piggyback it on OSCON, which is very expensive
(like, $10,000 per day).   Unlike Toronto, summer is high tourist season
in Portland and there simply aren't inexpensive spaces.

--Josh

Re: anniversary

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Neil, all:

BTW, when I say "low numbers" I mean in terms of making the conference
finances work.    Overall, the response has been pretty good, and we'd
expect several dozen PostgreSQL hackers there (for example, we've had 30
offers to be speakers).  It's just hard to work the numbers on conferences
of less that 150 people.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: anniversary

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
If reasonable attendance is a criteria, then this may be an example of
when localized press releases could be helpful.

Rochester, NY is 2.5 hours by fast ferry and Buffalo is about 1.5 by car.
Both cities are "financially challenged" and govt + industry are looking
for money saving ideas.

+  + Toronto is the big city, with way tall buildings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 50 (or more) attend --- if they knew
about it and could plan ahead.

I have the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle business contacts  Probably
take 2 minutes to find biz contacts for Buffalo News.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Neil, all:
>
>BTW, when I say "low numbers" I mean in terms of making the conference
>finances work.    Overall, the response has been pretty good, and we'd
>expect several dozen PostgreSQL hackers there (for example, we've had 30
>offers to be speakers).  It's just hard to work the numbers on conferences
>of less that 150 people.

Re: anniversary

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: anniversary

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> That could be a dealbreaker for me. My employer would proabbly not be
> happy with sending me to two things so close apart and OSCON is a
> higher priority.

The anniversary is on a weekend, so you can send yourself.

--
Peter Eisentraut

EU data retention

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4527840.stm

I may be confusing myself.  Hopefully this doesn't mean that a user in
the EU connected to website/ PostgreSQL in the US (as a user) will
require some sort of monstrous logging system on all user activity
within an account.

Can someone on the EU side of the water clarify .... has Big Brother
arrived?

Thanks,
Mike E.

Re: EU data retention

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4527840.stm
>
> I may be confusing myself.  Hopefully this doesn't mean that a user in
> the EU connected to website/ PostgreSQL in the US (as a user) will
> require some sort of monstrous logging system on all user activity
> within an account.
> Can someone on the EU side of the water clarify .... has Big Brother
> arrived?

The EU can not require there laws be placed on US jurisdiction without
some kind of treaty or agreement.

Of course it probably isn't that far fetched that an agreement like that
would happen ;)

Go stupid governments.

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
> Mike E.

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: EU data retention

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> I may be confusing myself.  Hopefully this doesn't mean that a user
> in the EU connected to website/ PostgreSQL in the US (as a user) will
> require some sort of monstrous logging system on all user activity
> within an account.

Unless you are a telephony or Internet access provider, this doesn't
require any action of you.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: EU data retention

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> > I may be confusing myself.  Hopefully this doesn't mean that a user
> > in the EU connected to website/ PostgreSQL in the US (as a user) will
> > require some sort of monstrous logging system on all user activity
> > within an account.
>
> Unless you are a telephony or Internet access provider, this doesn't
> require any action of you.

... except setting up appropiate encryption and the like, no?

Re: EU data retention

From
"Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher"
Date:
Also sprach Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@commandprompt.com)
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> > > I may be confusing myself.  Hopefully this doesn't mean that a user
> > > in the EU connected to website/ PostgreSQL in the US (as a user) will
> > > require some sort of monstrous logging system on all user activity
> > > within an account.
> >
> > Unless you are a telephony or Internet access provider, this doesn't
> > require any action of you.
>
> ... except setting up appropiate encryption and the like, no?

This will only hide *what* you are mailing, but not *whom* you are
mailing to. Communication graphs can be generated by the collected
information.

And may be you are going to a nice, government paid, trip to
Saudi-Arabia if someone is confusing some names in your
personal communication net ...

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--

Daijouji Shigesuke in "Budo Shoshin Shuu"

Attachment