Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Devrim,

> Josh, can you contact with those guys and please make them correct the
> spellings of PostgreSQL (Postgres, PostgresSQL, etc...) in the press link
> I provided above?

Unfortunately, it's on purpose.   It's Marc's trademark again.  I can say
"PostgreSQL" but Sun's PR people are afraid to.  :-(

I'm meeting some trademark attorneys on Monday, hopefully we can straighten
this out and stop having these issues.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Devrim,
>
>> Josh, can you contact with those guys and please make them correct the
>> spellings of PostgreSQL (Postgres, PostgresSQL, etc...) in the press link
>> I provided above?
>
> Unfortunately, it's on purpose.   It's Marc's trademark again.  I can say
> "PostgreSQL" but Sun's PR people are afraid to.  :-(

Funny thing is that they use PostgreSQL throughout the press release, they
seem to mix-n-match it ...

----

Date:
Devrim,

> Josh, can you contact with those guys and please make them correct the
> spellings of PostgreSQL (Postgres, PostgresSQL, etc...) in the press link
> I provided above?

I'm afraid that the use of Postgres was on purpose.  :-(  It's because of
Marc's trademark again.

I'm going to be meeting with attorneys on Monday and hopefully we can get this
trademark thing fixed.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Core Team

(unless specifically indicated, all opinions in the above
 e-mail are my own, and should not be taken as opinions of
 the Project as a whole.)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Unfortunately, it's on purpose.   It's Marc's trademark again.  I can
> say "PostgreSQL" but Sun's PR people are afraid to.  :-(

I have got to meet these people's trademark attorneys (Sun, Pervasive)
who think that they can't say "PostgreSQL" but can say "Postgres" or
"PostgresSQL" with impunity.  I really need to have a meeting with them
because I'm not sure how my Orakle support program is going to work
out.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> I have got to meet these people's trademark attorneys (Sun, Pervasive)
> who think that they can't say "PostgreSQL" but can say "Postgres" or
> "PostgresSQL" with impunity.  I really need to have a meeting with them
> because I'm not sure how my Orakle support program is going to work
> out.

<grin> or M$$QL?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Unfortunately, it's on purpose.   It's Marc's trademark again.  I can
>> say "PostgreSQL" but Sun's PR people are afraid to.  :-(
>
> I have got to meet these people's trademark attorneys (Sun, Pervasive)
> who think that they can't say "PostgreSQL" but can say "Postgres" or
> "PostgresSQL" with impunity.  I really need to have a meeting with them
> because I'm not sure how my Orakle support program is going to work
> out.

The funny thing is its only "the big companies" that seem concerned about
this ... and even then, there are big companies that don't have an issue
with using the name: SRA and Fujitsu being two that come to mind ...
*shrug*

----

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 04:41:52PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> The funny thing is its only "the big companies" that seem concerned about
> this ... and even then, there are big companies that don't have an issue
> with using the name: SRA and Fujitsu being two that come to mind ...
> *shrug*

Well, the examples you gave are both companies with head offices in
Japan.  Trademarks in the US are a Big Deal, because of the way
trademarks need to be defended there (there's a great deal of
jurisprudence around this.  Hint: there's a reason you can still buy
Bayer(tm) Aspirin(tm) in Canada, and yet you can't in the US).  So
US-based companies get very hinkey about trademarks, especially when
they're doing things in an area where they're subject to other PR
issues,

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/web_sunflash.html
>
> http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-11/sunflash.20051117.1.html
>
> Josh, can you contact with those guys and please make them correct the
> spellings of PostgreSQL (Postgres, PostgresSQL, etc...) in the press link
> I provided above?

Can someone get Sun to fix the typos on their Postgres page?

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/postgres.jsp

    "Many of many customers"

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, it's on purpose.   It's Marc's trademark again.  I can
>>> say "PostgreSQL" but Sun's PR people are afraid to.  :-(

Yet Sun has no problem using "Linux" all over their site
http://www.sun.com/software/linux/index.xml , while every
time IBM mentions Linux (http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/) they
have a footer that says "Linux is a registered trademark of Linus..."

Seems Sun's PR guys are pretty confused.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Yet Sun has no problem using "Linux" all over their site
> http://www.sun.com/software/linux/index.xml , while every
> time IBM mentions Linux (http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/) they
> have a footer that says "Linux is a registered trademark of Linus..."
>
> Seems Sun's PR guys are pretty confused.

Not really. The Linux trademark has very clearly defined rules about who
can use it and how. It is also very, very obvious who owns the Linux
trademark.

The PostgreSQL trademark is this vaque somebody owns it, but were not even
sure if it is enforceable and there is no written policy about it... So
we are just
going to play it safe kind of thing.

Joshua D. Drake