Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

This matrix should be more accurate. Let me know if there are any
problems you see.

http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Shouldn't RI be listed as external for MySQL?

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:03:15PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This matrix should be more accurate. Let me know if there are any
> problems you see.
>
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
Pascual De Ruvo
Date:
MVCC in mysql 5.0???
MVCC in One$DB 4.0???

Date:
Pascual De Ruvo wrote:
> MVCC in mysql 5.0???

Innodb supports MVCC AFAIC.

> MVCC in One$DB 4.0???

Uday is who put forth the One$Db stuff so it is the president of that
company saying they have MVCC.

Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Shouldn't RI be listed as external for MySQL?

If you mean Referential Integrity, Innodb supports Foreign Keys as far
as I know.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:03:15PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This matrix should be more accurate. Let me know if there are any
>> problems you see.
>>
>> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake

>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Well, I guess the question is: is InnoDB considered external? I would
argue it is, since afaik you have to get it yourself unless you buy the
pro version.

BTW, this also applies to MVCC too. Probably some other stuff.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:11:57PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >Shouldn't RI be listed as external for MySQL?
> >

> If you mean Referential Integrity, Innodb supports Foreign Keys as far
> as I know.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>
> >On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:03:15PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>This matrix should be more accurate. Let me know if there are any
> >>problems you see.
> >>
> >>http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480
> >>
> >>Sincerely,
> >>
> >>Joshua D. Drake
> >>

> >>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

>       match

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 16:11, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Pascual De Ruvo wrote:
> > MVCC in mysql 5.0???
>
> Innodb supports MVCC AFAIC.

I think what people are chaffing at is the whole "it works in innodb but not
in myisam" that seems to apply to so many of my$ql's features.  Of course
given their design, there are so many if's and but's (and candies and nuts)
that putting all of that into a comparison chart is going to be painful.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
Chris Browne
Date:
jnasby@pervasive.com ("Jim C. Nasby") writes:
> Shouldn't RI be listed as external for MySQL?

If "replication support" is listed as included, that may be a
reasonable tradeoff ;-).
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
Michael Paesold
Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Well, I guess the question is: is InnoDB considered external? I would
> argue it is, since afaik you have to get it yourself unless you buy the
> pro version.

No, InnoDB is included in all default (Open Source) downloads since
version 4.0, I believe.
You don't have to pay for GPL InnoDB.

AFAIK, only the hot backup tool from InnoDB is not available with GPL.
Hot backup should have an * in the comparision.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Well, I guess the question is: is InnoDB considered external? I would
> argue it is, since afaik you have to get it yourself unless you buy the
> pro version.

As far as I know, Innodb ships with MySQL. Recall that Innodb is GPL.

Date:
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> Well, I guess the question is: is InnoDB considered external? I would
>> argue it is, since afaik you have to get it yourself unless you buy the
>> pro version.
>
> No, InnoDB is included in all default (Open Source) downloads since
> version 4.0, I believe.
> You don't have to pay for GPL InnoDB.
>
> AFAIK, only the hot backup tool from InnoDB is not available with GPL.
> Hot backup should have an * in the comparision.
I did not include the * for hot backup because it is commercial.

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> AFAIK, only the hot backup tool from InnoDB is not available with GPL.
>> Hot backup should have an * in the comparision.
>
> I did not include the * for hot backup because it is commercial.

Ah, ok. I forgot this was all about non-commercial DBMS software.
Thanks for for the reminder.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
MySQL's had MVCC since 4.0.

Pascual De Ruvo wrote:
> MVCC in mysql 5.0???
> MVCC in One$DB 4.0???
>
> On 11/15/05, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>This matrix should be more accurate. Let me know if there are any
>>problems you see.
>>
>>http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Joshua D. Drake

>>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 11/15/2005 5:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> Well, I guess the question is: is InnoDB considered external? I would
>> argue it is, since afaik you have to get it yourself unless you buy the
>> pro version.
>>
> As far as I know, Innodb ships with MySQL. Recall that Innodb is GPL.

It ships with it, but it is still an add-on, implementation wise. And
AFAIK this is the reason why they don't have deferrable foreign keys.

Jan

>> BTW, this also applies to MVCC too. Probably some other stuff.

>>> If you mean Referential Integrity, Innodb supports Foreign Keys as far
>>> as I know.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Joshua D. Drake

>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>>       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>>       match

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Devx Database Comparison [Updated]

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> As far as I know, Innodb ships with MySQL. Recall that Innodb is GPL.
>

> It ships with it, but it is still an add-on, implementation wise.

I think that is getting a little long in the tooth in terms of the
general public. To the general public and to MySQL people, InnoDb is a
part of their database and it is Open Source.