CA spins off Ingres to a new company

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
This has been in the works for some time, but it's finally official:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/07/CHNcaspinsingres_1.html

http://www.ingres.com/

Ingres CEO:  "Our goal is to become the leading business open-source database supplier to the enterprise community."

Cheers,
Ned

Re: CA spins off Ingres to a new company

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> This has been in the works for some time, but it's finally official:
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/07/CHNcaspinsingres_1.html
>
> http://www.ingres.com/
>
> Ingres CEO:  "Our goal is to become the leading business open-source
> database supplier to the enterprise community."

http://www.ingres.com/technology/reasons%20to%20choose%20ingres/

Reasons to choose Ingres (summarized):
* proven business critical technology [yadda]
* proven business critical support [yadda]

Re: CA spins off Ingres to a new company

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>This has been in the works for some time, but it's finally official:
>>
>>http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/07/CHNcaspinsingres_1.html
>>
>>http://www.ingres.com/
>>
>>Ingres CEO:  "Our goal is to become the leading business open-source
>>database supplier to the enterprise community."
>>

> http://www.ingres.com/technology/reasons%20to%20choose%20ingres/
>
> Reasons to choose Ingres (summarized):
> * proven business critical technology [yadda]
> * proven business critical support [yadda]

 From the infoworld article: "Among open-source products, MySQL is the
most prominent, with PostgreSQL nipping at its heels."

Nipping? Nipping!! We're an elephant dammit, we don't nip. And they're a
dolphin, so they don't have heels.

Now an elephant would trample underfoot... Except they'd be in the
water, so that wouldn't work.

We could hide their fish! But then they'd probably steal our supply of
peanuts. Hmm - this business writing is harder than it looks isn't it.

Anyway, we've nothing to fear from Ingres IMHO. Unless of course they
get a mouse mascot...

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: CA spins off Ingres to a new company

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:52:13AM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> From the infoworld article: "Among open-source products, MySQL is the
> most prominent, with PostgreSQL nipping at its heels."
>
> Nipping? Nipping!! We're an elephant dammit, we don't nip. And they're a
> dolphin, so they don't have heels.
>
> Now an elephant would trample underfoot... Except they'd be in the
> water, so that wouldn't work.
>
> We could hide their fish! But then they'd probably steal our supply of
> peanuts. Hmm - this business writing is harder than it looks isn't it.

Here's what we do:
http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg