Re: CA spins off Ingres to a new company - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: CA spins off Ingres to a new company
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>This has been in the works for some time, but it's finally official:
>>
>>http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/07/CHNcaspinsingres_1.html
>>
>>http://www.ingres.com/
>>
>>Ingres CEO:  "Our goal is to become the leading business open-source
>>database supplier to the enterprise community."
>>

> http://www.ingres.com/technology/reasons%20to%20choose%20ingres/
>
> Reasons to choose Ingres (summarized):
> * proven business critical technology [yadda]
> * proven business critical support [yadda]

 From the infoworld article: "Among open-source products, MySQL is the
most prominent, with PostgreSQL nipping at its heels."

Nipping? Nipping!! We're an elephant dammit, we don't nip. And they're a
dolphin, so they don't have heels.

Now an elephant would trample underfoot... Except they'd be in the
water, so that wouldn't work.

We could hide their fish! But then they'd probably steal our supply of
peanuts. Hmm - this business writing is harder than it looks isn't it.

Anyway, we've nothing to fear from Ingres IMHO. Unless of course they
get a mouse mascot...

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd