Open source database comparison

From
Leonard Soetedjo
Date:
Hi,

I saw this open source database comparison:
http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST

I'm quite new to PostgreSQL features, but shouldn't PostgreSQL already
have "SQL stored procedure"?  Is "SQL stored procedure" something
different from the usual stored procedure?  And it also mark PostgreSQL
as having no full-text search.  Isn't Tsearch2 being used to do that,
even though it's not on by default?

I'm just concerned if the matrix is giving the wrong info about
PostgreSQL :)

Regards,

Leonard Soetedjo

Re: Open source database comparison

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Leonard Soetedjo wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I saw this open source database comparison:
>http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>
>I'm quite new to PostgreSQL features, but shouldn't PostgreSQL already
>have "SQL stored procedure"?  Is "SQL stored procedure" something
>different from the usual stored procedure?  And it also mark PostgreSQL
>as having no full-text search.  Isn't Tsearch2 being used to do that,
>even though it's not on by default?
>
>I'm just concerned if the matrix is giving the wrong info about
>PostgreSQL :)

I am a active writer for that site. I will contact my editor.

>Regards,
>
>Leonard Soetedjo

>TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Open source database comparison

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw this open source database comparison:
>> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>>
>> I'm quite new to PostgreSQL features, but shouldn't PostgreSQL already
>> have "SQL stored procedure"?  Is "SQL stored procedure" something
>> different from the usual stored procedure?  And it also mark PostgreSQL
>> as having no full-text search.  Isn't Tsearch2 being used to do that,
>> even though it's not on by default?
>>
>> I'm just concerned if the matrix is giving the wrong info about
>> PostgreSQL :)
>>

> I am a active writer for that site. I will contact my editor.

While you're doing that: pgAdmin III *does* support simultaneous
execution of queries.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Open source database comparison

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> I am a active writer for that site. I will contact my editor.
>

> While you're doing that: pgAdmin III *does* support simultaneous
> execution of queries.

Oh good to know. I already responded with a bunch of other stuff. I will
add this to the list.

> Regards,
> Andreas

Re: Open source database comparison

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Am Samstag, den 15.10.2005, 15:11 +0000 schrieb Andreas Pflug:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I saw this open source database comparison:
> >> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST

And whats: "Single Database File"? And why does PG have it?
Whats the point in havig it? ;)

And:

"External Java Procedures: Support for external Java procedures means
that database developer can call Java class methods from stored
procedures or functions."

Actually there is PL/Java so this should be [x] for PG too.

Re: Open source database comparison

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Actually there is PL/Java so this should be [x] for PG too.

Most definitely! I'm devastated :-)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Open source database comparison

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Another good question is why aren't they comparing 8.1 if they're
comparing MySQL 5.0?

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 08:19:02PM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw this open source database comparison:
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>
> I'm quite new to PostgreSQL features, but shouldn't PostgreSQL already
> have "SQL stored procedure"?  Is "SQL stored procedure" something
> different from the usual stored procedure?  And it also mark PostgreSQL
> as having no full-text search.  Isn't Tsearch2 being used to do that,
> even though it's not on by default?
>
> I'm just concerned if the matrix is giving the wrong info about
> PostgreSQL :)
>

> Regards,
>
> Leonard Soetedjo

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Open source database comparison

From
Christoph Nelles
Date:
Jim C. Nasby schrieb:
> Another good question is why aren't they comparing 8.1 if they're
> comparing MySQL 5.0?

A good question would be : Would you think if a MySQL employee made this
   comparision, would it be neutral?

About the author (on the third page) :
"Uday Parmar is Head of Sales and Marketing at Daffodil Software, where
he is responsible for corporate sales, account management, strategic
planning, and business analysis. Uday holds a Bachelors degree in
Statistics from Mumbai University, an MBA in Marketing and HR, and a
Masters in Management from Durham Business School, England. . "

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 08:19:02PM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I saw this open source database comparison:
>>http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>>
>>I'm quite new to PostgreSQL features, but shouldn't PostgreSQL already
>>have "SQL stored procedure"?  Is "SQL stored procedure" something
>>different from the usual stored procedure?  And it also mark PostgreSQL
>>as having no full-text search.  Isn't Tsearch2 being used to do that,
>>even though it's not on by default?
>>
>>I'm just concerned if the matrix is giving the wrong info about
>>PostgreSQL :)
>>

>>Regards,
>>
>>Leonard Soetedjo

>>TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Christoph Nelles

Attachment

Re: Open source database comparison

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
A single database file an architecture where all of the space lives within one or a small set of physical OS files.
E.g.instead of having operating system level files for each table, and index, it is all stuffed within a single file.
Thisis not important for big database systems that are professionally managed like the typical PostgreSQL installation.

However, it is hugely important for embedded type scenarios.  An example is something like Quicken.  Its database is
allwithin a single file (foo.qdf IIRC), which is awesome.  Having a single housing eliminates an entire class of user
errors,and is a big win from a support perspective.  The classic user screw up is a botched restore, where a user
restoresall of the data files (*.dat) but leaves all of the index files (*.idx) because he didn't know what they were.
Supportguys get this kind of incident all the time...

I haven't a clue why the authors listed PG (and the others) a having the feature.

    And whats: "Single Database File"? And why does PG have it?
    Whats the point in havig it? ;)

Re: Open source database comparison

From
Marko Kreen
Date:
On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 08:19:02PM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw this open source database comparison:
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>
> I'm quite new to PostgreSQL features, but shouldn't PostgreSQL already
> have "SQL stored procedure"?  Is "SQL stored procedure" something
> different from the usual stored procedure?

I see there are two categories for functions:

1. User defined functions
2. SQL stored procedure

I think 2) refers to procedures running outside transaction,
that are indeed missing in PostgreSQL.

--
marko