Openbase makes false claims about postgresql

From
Karim A Nassar
Date:
I don't know if this matters to anyone, or if this is even the right list
for this, but while doing some research on acid compliance, I
found this:

http://store.openbase.com/ChoosingTheRightDB.pdf

...which is dated 2004, is currently available, and states on page 2:

"PostgreSQL also offers fairly good A.C.I.D. compliance, although their
documentation warns that their write-ahead logs are not 100% reliable."

Page 4:

"PostgreSQL has recently added a write-ahead log to address their
reliability problems. It operates on the same principle as a journal,
except that the log is written before SQL is evaluated, rather than as the
transaction commits. While this provides better reliability for PostgreSQL
users, PostgreSQL documentation warns that there are still known problems
with their write-ahead logging system, which could cause data loss. The
answer? Many people offering PostgreSQL also sell database consulting
services."

Then on page 6:

"PostgreSQL also provides reasonable transaction support, although, as
noted, they do warn of problems with the reliability of their write-ahead
journal."

V7.1 was released 2001. Four years later after being addressed, (a long
time IMHO), they are making these claims.

Page 11:

"PostgreSQL does not have a database clustering option."

...built in.

I realize that this is some company's marketing drivel, but I also thought
someone might like to complain in an official capacity.

PS: I am off-list, so please CC :-)

--
karim.nassar@acm.org

Re: Openbase makes false claims about postgresql

From
Chris Travers
Date:
I am not generally happy with what they say in their benchmarks section
either.  But we all know how rigged benchmarks generally are.

According to their documentation site, they haven't released a product
in almost 2 years (before they were releasing every couple of months).

Not sure yet, but it seems that development has ceased?  This doesn't
look like a good sign.  So is it really worth hassling them over this?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Karim A Nassar wrote:

>I don't know if this matters to anyone, or if this is even the right list
>for this, but while doing some research on acid compliance, I
>found this:
>
>http://store.openbase.com/ChoosingTheRightDB.pdf
>
>...which is dated 2004, is currently available, and states on page 2:
>
>"PostgreSQL also offers fairly good A.C.I.D. compliance, although their
>documentation warns that their write-ahead logs are not 100% reliable."
>

>Page 4:
>
>"PostgreSQL has recently added a write-ahead log to address their
>reliability problems. It operates on the same principle as a journal,
>except that the log is written before SQL is evaluated, rather than as the
>transaction commits. While this provides better reliability for PostgreSQL
>users, PostgreSQL documentation warns that there are still known problems
>with their write-ahead logging system, which could cause data loss. The
>answer? Many people offering PostgreSQL also sell database consulting
>services."
>

>Then on page 6:
>
>"PostgreSQL also provides reasonable transaction support, although, as
>noted, they do warn of problems with the reliability of their write-ahead
>journal."
>

>V7.1 was released 2001. Four years later after being addressed, (a long
>time IMHO), they are making these claims.
>

>Page 11:
>
>"PostgreSQL does not have a database clustering option."
>
>...built in.
>

>I realize that this is some company's marketing drivel, but I also thought
>someone might like to complain in an official capacity.
>
>PS: I am off-list, so please CC :-)
>
>--
>karim.nassar@acm.org

Re: Openbase makes false claims about postgresql

From
Robert Treat
Date:
There development may be dead, but they are still shipping product, updating
their website news, and have a developer conference scheduled to take place
in the next month.  I don't think it would hurt to ask them to clarify things
a bit.

Robert Treat

On Friday 26 August 2005 00:25, Chris Travers wrote:
> I am not generally happy with what they say in their benchmarks section
> either.  But we all know how rigged benchmarks generally are.
>
> According to their documentation site, they haven't released a product
> in almost 2 years (before they were releasing every couple of months).
>
> Not sure yet, but it seems that development has ceased?  This doesn't
> look like a good sign.  So is it really worth hassling them over this?
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers
> Metatron Technology Consulting
>
> Karim A Nassar wrote:
> >I don't know if this matters to anyone, or if this is even the right list
> >for this, but while doing some research on acid compliance, I
> >found this:
> >
> >http://store.openbase.com/ChoosingTheRightDB.pdf
> >
> >...which is dated 2004, is currently available, and states on page 2:
> >
> >"PostgreSQL also offers fairly good A.C.I.D. compliance, although their
> >documentation warns that their write-ahead logs are not 100% reliable."
> >

> >Page 4:
> >
> >"PostgreSQL has recently added a write-ahead log to address their
> >reliability problems. It operates on the same principle as a journal,
> >except that the log is written before SQL is evaluated, rather than as the
> >transaction commits. While this provides better reliability for PostgreSQL
> >users, PostgreSQL documentation warns that there are still known problems
> >with their write-ahead logging system, which could cause data loss. The
> >answer? Many people offering PostgreSQL also sell database consulting
> >services."
> >

> >Then on page 6:
> >
> >"PostgreSQL also provides reasonable transaction support, although, as
> >noted, they do warn of problems with the reliability of their write-ahead
> >journal."
> >

> >V7.1 was released 2001. Four years later after being addressed, (a long
> >time IMHO), they are making these claims.
> >

> >Page 11:
> >
> >"PostgreSQL does not have a database clustering option."
> >
> >...built in.
> >

> >I realize that this is some company's marketing drivel, but I also thought
> >someone might like to complain in an official capacity.
> >
> >PS: I am off-list, so please CC :-)
> >
> >--
> >karim.nassar@acm.org

> >               http://archives.postgresql.org

Robert Treat

Re: Openbase makes false claims about postgresql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> There development may be dead, but they are still shipping product,
> updating their website news, and have a developer conference scheduled to
> take place in the next month.  I don't think it would hurt to ask them to
> clarify things a bit.

OK, I'll send them an Official Note.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Openbase CORRECTS false claims about postgresql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

See, it pays to ask nicely:

-------------------------------
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the heads up on that.  We'll edit the white paper and get
that corrected.

From what I have heard, PostgreSQL has become one of the fastest
growing in the Open Source market.  Congratulations!

- Scott
  OpenBase
-------------------------------

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Openbase CORRECTS false claims about postgresql

Date:
Wow, that is nice!

Date:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Chris Travers wrote:
> According to their documentation site, they haven't released a product
> in almost 2 years (before they were releasing every couple of months).

But according to their downloads section, they made an update June/July
(depending on platform).

Also, they are having a developers conference in September. I would say
that they are active.

--
Karim.Nassar@acm.org