Migration: Informix to PostgreSQL Case Study

From
Jutta Horstmann
Date:

Re: Migration: Informix to PostgreSQL Case Study

From
Jussi Mikkola
Date:
Hi,

Just a couple of quick comments.

On 3.1.5 you mention companies giving commercial support. It might be a
good idea to add there one or two more, just to show that there really
are more companies. Which are most relevant in Germany, I don't know.

You mention, that there is no multi-processor support in PostgreSQL...
If I remember correctly, (and there are many here, who really know this
much, much better), in PostgreSQL you cannot bind certain tasks etc. to
certain processors, but SMP exists for many different processor
architectures. So, you can have for example a 4 processor computer
running PostgreSQL. (I don't know what are the biggest setups, but I
guess quite much bigger.)

Sorry, haven't read the whole story, so no more comments now.

Rgs,

Jussi

Jutta Horstmann wrote:

Re: Migration: Informix to PostgreSQL Case Study

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Jutta Horstmann wrote:

> I would very much appreciate some comments (most of all: did I get all
> the facts on PostgreSQL right) and I will be happy to answer questions.

Just one note: You say that postgres has no multi-processor support. I think
this is rather missleading and not true for most situations.
While it's correct that postgres cannot make use for more than one processor
for a single query/connection, for multiple connections it will happily run
on as much cpus you give it. At least for typical OLTP use, postgres has
multi-processor support.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold