Need help on drivers, add-ons

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

For a variety of projects, I'm trying to assemble a list of "currently
essential" add-ons to PostgreSQL.    However, I'm starting to have sympathy
for PG newbies; as a core team member I can't figure a lot of this out.  For
example:

Which C++ driver is most current?
Which python driver is the most full-featured?

But getting to the point is:

What PostgreSQL add-ons do you think are essential for at least 50% of
potential users?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Need help on drivers, add-ons

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For a variety of projects, I'm trying to assemble a list of "currently
> essential" add-ons to PostgreSQL.    However, I'm starting to have sympathy
> for PG newbies; as a core team member I can't figure a lot of this out.  For
> example:
>
> Which C++ driver is most current?
> Which python driver is the most full-featured?
>
> But getting to the point is:
>
> What PostgreSQL add-ons do you think are essential for at least 50% of
> potential users?

And why do we have both gborg and pgfoundry?

Re: Need help on drivers, add-ons

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Which python driver is the most full-featured?

Depends on who you talk to ... there are two drivers under active
development, I believe, with different priorities ...

----

Re: Need help on drivers, add-ons

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For a variety of projects, I'm trying to assemble a list of "currently
> essential" add-ons to PostgreSQL.    However, I'm starting to have sympathy
> for PG newbies; as a core team member I can't figure a lot of this out.  For
> example:
>
> Which C++ driver is most current?

libpqxx

> Which python driver is the most full-featured?

psycopg

> But getting to the point is:
>
> What PostgreSQL add-ons do you think are essential for at least 50% of
> potential users?

npgsql
odbc
jdbc

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Date:
>>What PostgreSQL add-ons do you think are essential for at least 50% of
>>potential users?
>

> And why do we have both gborg and pgfoundry?

Well to be fair, we are working on that ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>What PostgreSQL add-ons do you think are essential for at least 50% of
> >>potential users?
> >

> > And why do we have both gborg and pgfoundry?
>
> Well to be fair, we are working on that ;)

Uh, how long have we had two and what is the timeframe for merging them?

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>And why do we have both gborg and pgfoundry?
>>
>>Well to be fair, we are working on that ;)
>

> Uh, how long have we had two and what is the timeframe for merging them?

A long time, and the timeframe is long :) but it is happening.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >>Well to be fair, we are working on that ;)
> >

> > Uh, how long have we had two and what is the timeframe for merging them?
>
> A long time, and the timeframe is long :) but it is happening.

Well, the big question is why did we create a new site if we didn't have
time to complete the migration in a prompt manner?

Date:
> Well, the big question is why did we create a new site if we didn't have
> time to complete the migration in a prompt manner?

Your welcome to jump in and help any time Bruce. We are getting ready to
bring up a new pgFoundry server. I expect once that is done a lot of
migration will begin to ramp up.  You could also check the archives
about the discussions of pgFoundry -> Gborg.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting
Home of PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Need help on drivers, add-ons

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Well, the big question is why did we create a new site if we didn't have
> time to complete the migration in a prompt manner?

Because we underestimated the time it would take to install and troubleshoot
GForge and thus ran out of time to do migrations?  Because the spring we
installed GForge hub.org had unforseeable network issues that occupied our
time?

Really, Bruce.   If you know someone champing at the bit to help us migrate
stuff, turn them loose.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Need help on drivers, add-ons

From
Jeff
Date:
On Apr 27, 2005, at 11:32 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> What PostgreSQL add-ons do you think are essential for at least 50% of
> potential users?

DBD::Pg

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Need help on drivers, add-ons

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 28 April 2005 00:14, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Well, the big question is why did we create a new site if we didn't have
> > time to complete the migration in a prompt manner?
>
> Because we underestimated the time it would take to install and
> troubleshoot GForge and thus ran out of time to do migrations?  Because the
> spring we installed GForge hub.org had unforseeable network issues that
> occupied our time?
>
> Really, Bruce.   If you know someone champing at the bit to help us migrate
> stuff, turn them loose.

I am just working through website stuff waiting for the new server to be
brought up, but once it is I'm willing (planning?) to focus on getting that
migration done.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Need help on drivers, add-ons

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I am just working through website stuff waiting for the new server to be
> brought up, but once it is I'm willing (planning?) to focus on getting that
> migration done.

Keen.  Will chat with you on IRC.

--

Date:
On Thursday 28 April 2005 08:00, Jeff wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2005, at 11:32 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > What PostgreSQL add-ons do you think are essential for at least 50% of
> > potential users?

Surprised no one mentioned PgAdmin.  Everyone wants a nice GUI interface for
maintaining the server.  (Ok, not everyone, but a good 50% I bet)

--
Robert Treat