Question

From
"Mario Reis"
Date:
   Dear Sir,

    I' ve recently join to PostGreSql community. I'm testing it on a local
network and I'm very found of it .
However there are a few things that I'd like to understand better.

    As far as i realise, every time the Server validates a wrong value for an
input it Raises an Exception
with the check failure for each input. For example, for each invalid foreing
key, it automaticly raises an exception.
The same happens validity checks and so on.

    Well, i strongly beleave this isn't the best way of doing it. It should
Raise an Exception for all the input
fields or failures at the same time, joinning all the errors after an insert
or update instruction and display/notify
them at once. This way it w'll save time and resouces communications special
in a large network with a large
number of users. Sorry if i got it wrong. I also appologise if this isn't
the right plece to put this question but
i don't know where else puting it.

    I hope you w'll understand what i mean. Sorry for my poor english.

Thanks any way

Mário

Re: Question

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Hi Mario,

The best place to ask development questions is on
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org.  This list is for PostgreSQL advertising.

I understand what you mean here, but there are many reasons it will not
be changed.

Chris

Mario Reis wrote:
>    Dear Sir,
>
>     I' ve recently join to PostGreSql community. I'm testing it on a local
> network and I'm very found of it .
> However there are a few things that I'd like to understand better.
>
>     As far as i realise, every time the Server validates a wrong value for an
> input it Raises an Exception
> with the check failure for each input. For example, for each invalid foreing
> key, it automaticly raises an exception.
> The same happens validity checks and so on.
>
>     Well, i strongly beleave this isn't the best way of doing it. It should
> Raise an Exception for all the input
> fields or failures at the same time, joinning all the errors after an insert
> or update instruction and display/notify
> them at once. This way it w'll save time and resouces communications special
> in a large network with a large
> number of users. Sorry if i got it wrong. I also appologise if this isn't
> the right plece to put this question but
> i don't know where else puting it.
>
>     I hope you w'll understand what i mean. Sorry for my poor english.
>
> Thanks any way
>
> Mário

Re: Question

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mario,

>         Well, i strongly beleave this isn't the best way of doing it. It
> should Raise an Exception for all the input
> fields or failures at the same time, joinning all the errors after an
> insert or update instruction and display/notify
> them at once. This way it w'll save time and resouces communications
> special in a large network with a large
> number of users. Sorry if i got it wrong. I also appologise if this isn't
> the right plece to put this question but
> i don't know where else puting it.

Actually, it wouldn't save database resources at all.   What if you're doing
an improper database update to 100,000 rows?  Do you really want the system
to test all 100,000 rows before returning an error?

Anyway, Chris is right, this isn't the right list for this question.  Try
pgsql-general or pgsql-sql.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions