postgresQL.org "Latest News" or "Latest Product"?

From
"Guy Flaherty"

Just a thought, but is the latest news section on the website really showing a lot of "news" recently. It seems to be more often than not showing the latest product that has become available! This appears on the front page of the postgresQL website, and is what pretty much everyone sees first when they load up the page or visit the site, especially for first timers or new users. I know it is difficult to keep updating content for a news section, and I know there are other places you can get more news, such as the mailing lists etc., but this is the main website! Couldn't the latest news section be put to better use? Mailing lists are great, but the website seems to be a little bit underutilized for spreading the good word about such a top-class piece of software!

Guy Flaherty

Re: postgresQL.org "Latest News" or "Latest Product"?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On March 23, 2005 10:59 pm, Guy Flaherty wrote:
> Just a thought, but is the latest news section on the website really
> showing a lot of "news" recently. It seems to be more often than not
> showing the latest product that has become available! This appears on the
> front page of the postgresQL website, and is what pretty much everyone sees
> first when they load up the page or visit the site, especially for first
> timers or new users. I know it is difficult to keep updating content for a
> news section, and I know there are other places you can get more news, such
> as the mailing lists etc., but this is the main website! Couldn't the
> latest news section be put to better use? Mailing lists are great, but the
> website seems to be a little bit underutilized for spreading the good word
> about such a top-class piece of software!

I've brought this up in the past but I think one solution worse considering is
to increase the coverage of news i.e. an RSS feed.

Re: postgresQL.org "Latest News" or "Latest Product"?

From
Mitch Pirtle
Date:
One thing I am thinking about is how we could setup a 'submit news'
process. If there is one for the new PG site, I don't know where it
is. That could help propogate news, and also get people in the
community more involved with making the main website also the main
source for information.

-- Mitch

Re: postgresQL.org "Latest News" or "Latest Product"?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>One thing I am thinking about is how we could setup a 'submit news'
>process. If there is one for the new PG site, I don't know where it
>is.

On the front page. Right below the news list. Between "More" and the RSS
button. It will bring you to a form where you can fill in all the
required information.

A similar one is available for events, below the events list (of
course).

//Magnus

Date:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:14:13 +0200, Magnus Hagander <mha@sollentuna.net> wrote:
> >One thing I am thinking about is how we could setup a 'submit news'
> >process. If there is one for the new PG site, I don't know where it
> >is.
>
> On the front page. Right below the news list. Between "More" and the RSS
> button. It will bring you to a form where you can fill in all the
> required information.

Wow, that was fast.

-- Mitch, wondering when he checked the front page last, feeling dopey