Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Oops! Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> I've not been able to really figure out an answer to this question from
> the websites of the commercial DB vendors: what do Oracle, DB2, etc.,
> actually do or provide that I do not get with PostgreSQL?
>
> Is there anything technical (as opposed to non-technical things like
> support) that they provide that PostgreSQL is missing?

In the case of Oracle, they have an excruciatingly large set of
additional products that can be bundled in along with the database,
including things like:

 - XML extensions
 - GIS extensions
 - Numerous Java-related extensions including a JMS implementation
 - Web application infrastructure
 - Additional tools for managing database instances

A while back, we needed an Oracle 8i license for a project and ordered
the "CD pack" which was a whole box full of CDs (including the one bit
we needed) of all sorts of things they'd love to sell us.  It was
close to 30 CDs of this and that.

Oracle is spending billions per year on developers; while some of the
results may be of dubious interest, it certainly leads to having a
growing stack of CDs.
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html

Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
Chris Travers

> - XML extensions
> - GIS extensions
> - Numerous Java-related extensions including a JMS implementation
> - Web application infrastructure
> - Additional tools for managing database instances
>
>A while back, we needed an Oracle 8i license for a project and ordered
>the "CD pack" which was a whole box full of CDs (including the one bit
>we needed) of all sorts of things they'd love to sell us.  It was
>close to 30 CDs of this and that.
>
>Oracle is spending billions per year on developers; while some of the
>results may be of dubious interest, it certainly leads to having a
>growing stack of CDs.

Oracle and DB2 also offer an ability to parallelize queries across
nodes, so that you can query extremely large (multi-TB) data sets quickly.

They also all market multimaster replication.

PostgreSQL is an excellent small-to-reasonably-large-database RDBMS.  If
you get into the 3-5 TB range and need fast access to all the data, or
if you need multi-master replication, you may need to look elsewhere,
depending on your application.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
"Liam O'Duibhir"
Date:
Chris,

While there may be limits to PostgreSQL's scalability, progress
is definitely being made in this area. For example, Tom Lane's recent
bufmgr locking overhaul should be a significant win on larger SMP systems.

Also, if people do move to PostgreSQL and subsequently find that they're
having problems with scalability, there are options other than migrating
to an entirely new DBMS like Oracle/DB2/etc. If you'll pardon a shameless
plug, Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL includes a plug-in module, ESM, that
should allow for significantly higher scalability (refer
http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html).

Regards,

Liam O'Duibhir

Liam O'Duibhir - Product Manager - Open Source Software
Fujitsu Australia Software Technology
14 Rodborough Road, Frenchs Forest NSW 2086
Tel: (61-2) 9452 9068 Fax: (61-2) 9975 3779
Mob: 0423 025 852 Email: LiamOD@fast.fujitsu.com.au
www.fastware.com.au

This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27 003 693 481. It is confidential to the
ordinaryuser of the email address to which it was addressed and may contain copyright and/or legally privileged
information.No one else may read, print, store, copy or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive
thisemail in error, please return to sender. Thank you.

If you do not wish to receive commercial email messages from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, please
emailunsubscribe@fast.fujitsu.com.au

Date:
Liam O'Duibhir wrote:

>Chris,
>
>While there may be limits to PostgreSQL's scalability, progress
>is definitely being made in this area. For example, Tom Lane's recent
>bufmgr locking overhaul should be a significant win on larger SMP systems.

I did not mean to suggest that these were permanent limitations.  Indeed
PostgreSQL seems to be growing fast enough to more than keep up with the
growth of the users' databases!

In the end every feature, from multimaster replication to parallelized
queries will, I am sure, eventually be included in PostgreSQL.  So this
was more a statement of the current situation than a statement regarding
all time.

>Also, if people do move to PostgreSQL and subsequently find that they're
>having problems with scalability, there are options other than migrating
>to an entirely new DBMS like Oracle/DB2/etc. If you'll pardon a shameless
>plug, Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL includes a plug-in module, ESM, that
>should allow for significantly higher scalability (refer
>http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html).

Of course.  I was approaching this more from the angle of "if i were
using DB2, why might I not be able to migrate to PostgreSQL?" and "Where
might I be included to pay for Oracle?" rather than "What limitations
should I worry about in the future?"  The last issue is a non-one.

PostgreSQL 8.0 is a big step forward for competing with Oracle.  And I
am sure that we will take out another large chunk with the next release,
etc.  And if PostgreSQL meets your needs today, I really don't see that
changing as your needs change.

I guess, maybe I wasn't specific enough.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:47:24AM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> Oracle and DB2 also offer an ability to parallelize queries across
> nodes, so that you can query extremely large (multi-TB) data sets quickly.
>
> They also all market multimaster replication.

"Market" is the operative word in the IBM case, note.  It's a fine
product, no question, but I've never been able to see any significant
way in which it's really multimaster.  And you can actually do the
same sort of thing using the right combination of hardware and
PostgreSQL.  In fact, my colleagues and I (ok, mostly my colleagues
-- I'm relegated to moving the furniture about) doing it right now.

ORAC is in another league entirely.  I hope we can do something about
that soon, too.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland

Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
William Yu
Date:
Here's my question about "multi-master" replication whether it's Oracle
or not. How in the world does it work over high latency, low bandwidth
connections w/o getting pummelled in performance? I mean it's fine when
you have whole bunch of servers in the same building. But I've got
servers across the country and waiting for 2-phase commit across a
100ms+ connection just sounds ugly like hell. I've tried some simple
tests -- a client running some simple transactions across a VPN from San
Francisco/CA to Sterling/VA and it's 10000 times slower than on a local
100mbit LAN.

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:47:24AM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>>Oracle and DB2 also offer an ability to parallelize queries across
>>nodes, so that you can query extremely large (multi-TB) data sets quickly.
>>
>>They also all market multimaster replication.
>

> "Market" is the operative word in the IBM case, note.  It's a fine
> product, no question, but I've never been able to see any significant
> way in which it's really multimaster.  And you can actually do the
> same sort of thing using the right combination of hardware and
> PostgreSQL.  In fact, my colleagues and I (ok, mostly my colleagues
> -- I'm relegated to moving the furniture about) doing it right now.
>
> ORAC is in another league entirely.  I hope we can do something about
> that soon, too.

Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
William Yu wrote:
> Here's my question about "multi-master" replication whether it's Oracle
> or not. How in the world does it work over high latency, low bandwidth
> connections w/o getting pummelled in performance?

Well, it may well be the case that it doesn't work :) Not all kinds of
replication are appropriate for all situations, and I agree that
synchronous, multi-master replication isn't likely to be useful in the
situation you describe.

One solution to multi-master replication on slow networks (or networks
with nodes that are only intermittently connected) is to be very
asynchronous: transaction commit only affects the local node, and
conflict resolution is done when replicating changes later. This is more
useful for filesystem replication: it is easier to do after-the-fact
conflict resolution, although it is still very complex. ISTM it should
be possible with DBMS replication, at least in theory.

-Neil

Date:
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, neilc@samurai.com (Neil Conway) transmitted:
> William Yu wrote:
>> Here's my question about "multi-master" replication whether it's
>> Oracle or not. How in the world does it work over high latency, low
>> bandwidth connections w/o getting pummelled in performance?
>
> Well, it may well be the case that it doesn't work :) Not all kinds of
> replication are appropriate for all situations, and I agree that
> synchronous, multi-master replication isn't likely to be useful in the
> situation you describe.
>
> One solution to multi-master replication on slow networks (or networks
> with nodes that are only intermittently connected) is to be very
> asynchronous: transaction commit only affects the local node, and
> conflict resolution is done when replicating changes later. This is
> more useful for filesystem replication: it is easier to do
> after-the-fact conflict resolution, although it is still very
> complex. ISTM it should be possible with DBMS replication, at least in
> theory.

PeerDirect is marketing something that sounds like that...
<http://www.peerdirect.com/products/data_replication_engine/index.ssp>

This sort of "after the fact data synchronization with conflict
resolution" bears marked similarities to:

 a) The way PalmOS systems address syncing between a handheld computer
    and potentially multiple desktop machines.

    It's often most convenient to cut'n'paste changes to things into
    one's "Palm Desktop" software because you have higher-bandwidth
    input devices like keyboards and mice as compared to scribbling
    with a stylus.

    I can make changes to data at home or at the office, and when I
    HotSync to my PDA, the data starts flowing towards those places it
    hasn't been yet...

 b) The way Lotus Notes(tm) allowed you to set up queues of messages.

    You could update/add material offline, and then "sync up" which
    would push/pull changes.

Slony-I and Slony-II won't be doing that, which means that there's
room for someone with interest to have a further usefully-distinct
form of replication.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html

Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Neil, William,

> One solution to multi-master replication on slow networks (or networks
> with nodes that are only intermittently connected) is to be very
> asynchronous: transaction commit only affects the local node, and
> conflict resolution is done when replicating changes later. This is more
> useful for filesystem replication: it is easier to do after-the-fact
> conflict resolution, although it is still very complex. ISTM it should
> be possible with DBMS replication, at least in theory.

Actually, Sybase tackles this issue a different way .... one that, I may add,
could be done with Slony-I with a little back-end glue.   Basically, they
make each replicated node the "master" of one subset of data; for example, if
it's a personnel database, then all personnel records for each office
location are "mastered" at that office location.   If you're updating records
at your current location (which is assumed to be the majority of updates) it
goes in direct and cascades out to the other servers; if you update records
for a different office, it goes to their server across the wire and cascades
back to you asynchronously.

Obviously, this only works for distributed applications where such
partitioning of data is reasonable, but that actually covers a lot of
real-world WAN distributed databases.   Point-of-Sale, for example, as well
as HR.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 19 March 2005 13:13, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Neil, William,
> Actually, Sybase tackles this issue a different way .... one that, I may
> add, could be done with Slony-I with a little back-end glue.   Basically,
> they make each replicated node the "master" of one subset of data; for
> example, if it's a personnel database, then all personnel records for each
> office location are "mastered" at that office location.   If you're
> updating records at your current location (which is assumed to be the
> majority of updates) it goes in direct and cascades out to the other
> servers; if you update records for a different office, it goes to their
> server across the wire and cascades back to you asynchronously.
>
> Obviously, this only works for distributed applications where such
> partitioning of data is reasonable, but that actually covers a lot of
> real-world WAN distributed databases.   Point-of-Sale, for example, as well
> as HR.

ISTR someone doing something like this with Slony... where they were doing all
inserts/updates to a local table that replicaed out to other offices but
using either a view that encapsulated all tables or using inheritence between
the local (child) table and a parent table (encapsulating all tables) to do
selects to see changes.  I think this was an inventory system... anyone
remember for sure?

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:13:51PM -0800, William Yu wrote:
> Here's my question about "multi-master" replication whether it's Oracle
> or not. How in the world does it work over high latency, low bandwidth
> connections w/o getting pummelled in performance? I mean it's fine when

It doesn't.  RAC is for one data centre only.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin