"Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
Oddbjørn Steffensen
Date:
Last week, I did a PostgreSQL presentation for our local LUG.
While the presentation slides are far from perfect, contains a
few glaring mistakes and omissions, I think it turned out pretty
okay. It is available from:

    http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/postgresql.pdf

It is currently in Norwegian only, but I think it's possible to get
a grasp of the contents for everybody.

Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
lated and extended to form a basic presentation toolkit, which
can be adapted to various presentation needs, re: the requests
for a 'standard' presentation which pops up on this list from time
to time?

-oddbjorn

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Oddbjørn Steffensen wrote:
> Last week, I did a PostgreSQL presentation for our local LUG.
> While the presentation slides are far from perfect, contains a
> few glaring mistakes and omissions, I think it turned out pretty
> okay. It is available from:
>
>     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/postgresql.pdf
>
> It is currently in Norwegian only, but I think it's possible to get
> a grasp of the contents for everybody.
>
> Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
> lated and extended to form a basic presentation toolkit, which
> can be adapted to various presentation needs, re: the requests
> for a 'standard' presentation which pops up on this list from time
> to time?
>
> -oddbjorn

This looks great! I'm swedish so I can read all of it :-). Definitely
the kind of material I'd use when presenting PostgreSQL to a more
technical group of people. An English version of this would be awesome!

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> This looks great! I'm swedish so I can read all of it :-). Definitely
> the kind of material I'd use when presenting PostgreSQL to a more
> technical group of people. An English version of this would be awesome!

I think we should start a collection on pgfoundry.org or something for
presentations, released under some open documentation license.

Chris

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris,

> I think we should start a collection on pgfoundry.org or something for
> presentations, released under some open documentation license.

The "press" project is available for this.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/press/

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

Date:
Oddbj�rn Steffensen wrote:
> Last week, I did a PostgreSQL presentation for our local LUG.
> While the presentation slides are far from perfect, contains a
> few glaring mistakes and omissions, I think it turned out pretty
> okay. It is available from:
>
>     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/postgresql.pdf
>
> It is currently in Norwegian only, but I think it's possible to get
> a grasp of the contents for everybody.
>
> Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
> lated and extended to form a basic presentation toolkit, which
> can be adapted to various presentation needs, re: the requests
> for a 'standard' presentation which pops up on this list from time
> to time?

Oh, great.  I was looking for you. I have to do a 45-minute PostgreSQL
introduction on March 22.  Is it possible to have it translated into
English by then and emailed to me?

If not someone has to put together something and it will be hard.

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 17:04 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Oddbjrn Steffensen wrote:
> > Last week, I did a PostgreSQL presentation for our local LUG.
> > While the presentation slides are far from perfect, contains a
> > few glaring mistakes and omissions, I think it turned out pretty
> > okay. It is available from:
> >
> >     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/postgresql.pdf
> >
> > It is currently in Norwegian only, but I think it's possible to get
> > a grasp of the contents for everybody.
> >
> > Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
> > lated and extended to form a basic presentation toolkit, which
> > can be adapted to various presentation needs, re: the requests
> > for a 'standard' presentation which pops up on this list from time
> > to time?

That looks like a very good 2-4 hour presentation to me. Cool.

> Oh, great.  I was looking for you. I have to do a 45-minute PostgreSQL
> introduction on March 22.  Is it possible to have it translated into
> English by then and emailed to me?
>
> If not someone has to put together something and it will be hard.

I'll upload my recent 45 min presentation from Sheffield LUG; it was
well received by an audience of 33% PostgreSQL users, 33% heard-of, but
not users and 33% wassat? people. [Soon]

I think its probably in a different direction from Oddbjorn's, so it
will be good to have the choice of two.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Date:
>>>Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
>>>lated and extended to form a basic presentation toolkit, which
>>>can be adapted to various presentation needs, re: the requests
>>>for a 'standard' presentation which pops up on this list from time
>>>to time?
>>

> That looks like a very good 2-4 hour presentation to me. Cool.

Any presentation that covers phpPgAdmin is cool :)

By the way, the very last page is great :P

Chris

Date:
Oddbjørn Steffensen wrote:
> Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
> lated

Based upon the positive feedback, I've done a rough translation
of this presentation to English. It is available from:

    http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/

Enjoy.

Date:
Oddbj�rn Steffensen wrote:
> Oddbj?rn Steffensen wrote:
> > Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
> > lated
>
> Based upon the positive feedback, I've done a rough translation
> of this presentation to English. It is available from:
>
>     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/

Perfect.  Thanks.  I will use it for a talk I am giving next Tuesday.

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:

---559023410-438066548-1111069251=:5508

Bruce,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OddbjЬrn Steffensen wrote:
>> Oddbj?rn Steffensen wrote:
>>> Iff there is interest, something like this could perhaps be trans-
>>> lated
>>
>> Based upon the positive feedback, I've done a rough translation
>> of this presentation to English. It is available from:
>>
>>     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/
>
> Perfect.  Thanks.  I will use it for a talk I am giving next Tuesday.

it'd be great if you (as a TODO maintainer) add several slides about
most important TODO items to completer this nice presentation !

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Oddbj?rn Steffensen wrote:
> >>
> >> Based upon the positive feedback, I've done a rough translation
> >> of this presentation to English. It is available from:
> >>
> >>     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/
> >
> > Perfect.  Thanks.  I will use it for a talk I am giving next Tuesday.
>
> it'd be great if you (as a TODO maintainer) add several slides about
> most important TODO items to completer this nice presentation !

I hesistate to mention TODO items until they are completed for 8.1.

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:35:43PM +0100, Oddbjørn Steffensen wrote:

>     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/

Is this site having problems?  Yesterday I got timeouts connecting
to it; today I'm getting "connection refused."

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 12:13:39PM +0100, Oddbj?rn Steffensen wrote:
> Last week, I did a PostgreSQL presentation for our local LUG.  While
> the presentation slides are far from perfect, contains a few glaring
> mistakes and omissions, I think it turned out pretty okay. It is
> available from:
>
>     http://www.tricknology.org/foilware/

This would make a great pgfoundry project. :)

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Date:
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> Is this site having problems?  Yesterday I got timeouts
 > connecting to it; today I'm getting "connection refused."

Yes, the machine froze for an unknown reason last night; it should be ok
now.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

-oddbjørn

Date:
On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 20:55 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I'll upload my recent 45 min presentation from Sheffield LUG; it was
> well received by an audience of 33% PostgreSQL users, 33% heard-of, but
> not users and 33% wassat? people. [Soon]

Apologies all. I didn't notice that my subsequent post to the list must
have been refused.

I'll upload tonight, with a link to my company web site.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: "Get to know PostgreSQL!"-presentation

Date:
I gave your presentation today and it went great.  Thanks.

I have linked to your presentation from my home page:

    Get To Know PostgreSQL - Presentation (45-90 minutes, 1-2 hours with
    questions):  This talk was written by Oddbj�rn Steffensen and is a great
    overview of PostgreSQL. It gives a good sampling of the database's
    capabilities and community efforts. It is particularly useful for those
    considering migrating from other databases to PostgreSQL. This is a
    technical talk only to the extent it covers database capabilities.

Hope that is OK.  I know some folks use my presentations so now they
will find yours there too.

Date:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 19:08 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 20:55 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I'll upload my recent 45 min presentation from Sheffield LUG; it was
> > well received by an audience of 33% PostgreSQL users, 33% heard-of, but
> > not users and 33% wassat? people. [Soon]

Here's a link to this presentation directly:

    http://www.2ndquadrant.com/PostgreSQL8.sxi.gz

or you can find the link via

    http://www.2ndquadrant.com/

The presentation is short and completely different to Oddbjorn's much
more technical presentation - this is very much a contrast, not a
challenger. The purpose of my presentation is advocacy and information,
not education - since we [2ndQuadrant] already teach a range of very
technical courses.

The presentation is a single file, gzipped to 27Kb. It is in OpenOffice
Impress .sxi format, written for 1.1.3/1.1.4. I've had a few comments
and problems with font sizes changing, so if the presentation doesn't
fit on the page, please let me know. [Hence the delay]

Feedback is of course welcome on the presentation slides, but one of the
main points of making it available is to form a template for other
presentations, since the project doesn't really have (yet?) an official
set of branded presentation materials.

The presentation is released under a BSD-style licence, which is
included within the presentation, should you be inclined to examine.

I'll release new versions from time to time if feedback is sufficiently
positive to warrant that.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs