Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
Kaare Rasmussen

Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Did you notice this?
>
> http://www.evansdata.com/n2/pr/releases/EDCDB05_01.shtml

Actually it doesn't surprise me. How much you want to bet those 400
database developers are using Windows?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared
and dedicated hosting. Home of the Open Source Projects plPHP,
plPerlNG, pgManage,  and pgPHPtoolkit.
Contact us now at: +1-503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com

Attachment

Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On January 20, 2005 01:51 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Did you notice this?
> >
> > http://www.evansdata.com/n2/pr/releases/EDCDB05_01.shtml
>
> Actually it doesn't surprise me. How much you want to bet those 400
> database developers are using Windows?

Sorry, I just don't believe the numbers. Just  google these words and look at the hits returned:
mysql: 42,700,000
oracle:34,000,000
firebird:3,400,000
postgresql: 8,650,000
--
Robert Bernier
 PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst,

  Tel:  212.244.8833

Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 11:25 +0100, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Did you notice this?
>
> http://www.evansdata.com/n2/pr/releases/EDCDB05_01.shtml

A little painful that they didn't mention PostgreSQL, but they do here:

http://www.evansdata.com/n2/surveys/database/2005_1/db_05_1_xmp1.shtml

They only mention it briefly, but they say that PostgreSQL is for larger
deployments, which is great.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Robert Bernier wrote

> Sorry, I just don't believe the numbers. Just  google these words and
> look at the hits returned:
> mysql: 42,700,000
> oracle:34,000,000
> firebird:3,400,000
> postgresql: 8,650,000

Well, don't forget, that mozilla firefox was a long time also called
firebird. If you add "sql" to all that searches, look at the result now
(FWIW) ;-)

mysql sql: 8,490,000
oracle sql: 8,330,000
firebird sql: 365,000
postgresql sql: 2.740,000
db2 sql: 2,000,000
interbase sql: 397,000

Firebird is now way behind.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
Chris Travers
Date:
I can believe those numbers if I carefully read the description of what
they are measuring.

MySQL may be popular for small web developments, but is not as popular
for real line of business tools as the other databases, IME, for obvious
reasons.  I would also expect PostgreSQL to do better now with the
Windows port.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Michael Paesold wrote:

> Robert Bernier wrote
>
>> Sorry, I just don't believe the numbers. Just  google these words and
>> look at the hits returned:
>> mysql: 42,700,000
>> oracle:34,000,000
>> firebird:3,400,000
>> postgresql: 8,650,000
>

> Well, don't forget, that mozilla firefox was a long time also called
> firebird. If you add "sql" to all that searches, look at the result
> now (FWIW) ;-)
>
> mysql sql: 8,490,000
> oracle sql: 8,330,000
> firebird sql: 365,000
> postgresql sql: 2.740,000
> db2 sql: 2,000,000
> interbase sql: 397,000
>
> Firebird is now way behind.
>
> Best Regards,
> Michael Paesold

Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 13:51, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Did you notice this?
> >
> > http://www.evansdata.com/n2/pr/releases/EDCDB05_01.shtml
>

> Actually it doesn't surprise me. How much you want to bet those 400
> database developers are using Windows?

Found a follow up article which notes that 90% of the respondents used
windows. Given that postgresql garnered 14% of the "market", that would
mean that we got even 4% of windows users which imo is pretty good for
pre-8.0 postgresql.

Robert Treat

Re: Firebird, MySQL rules according to Evans

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> Found a follow up article which notes that 90% of the respondents used
> windows. Given that postgresql garnered 14% of the "market", that would
> mean that we got even 4% of windows users which imo is pretty good for
> pre-8.0 postgresql.

FWIW, I am an Evans survey-ee.    I'm more than a little puzzled by the
article, as I don't recall having even seen FireBird as an option on any
survey I've seen recently.  I'm sure Firebird has gotten write-ins, but 50%?

I wonder if they're getting the browser and the database mixed up?

Still, this is good news for the FireBird folks, they need the news coverage.
Way to go!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions