Infoworld

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2265&ncid=738&e=9&u=/infoworld/20050119/tc_infoworld/53278

Re: Infoworld

From
"Merlin Moncure"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2265&ncid=738&e=9&u=/inf
ow
> orld/20050119/tc_infoworld/53278

I think it's time to end the comparisons to mysql.  We are in a
different league, and it's just becoming a distraction at this point.

Merlin

Re: Infoworld

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Merlin Moncure wrote:

>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2265&ncid=738&e=9&u=/inf
>ow
>

>>orld/20050119/tc_infoworld/53278
>>

>I think it's time to end the comparisons to mysql.  We are in a
>different league, and it's just becoming a distraction at this point.

We are only in a different league for those in the know.
For the rest of the world (99.99%) we are just another
open source database.

Joshua D. Drake

>Merlin

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Infoworld

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> I think it's time to end the comparisons to mysql.  We are in a
> different league, and it's just becoming a distraction at this point.

FWIW, Mr. Krill asked me about comparisons to a variety of databases.   I'm
pretty happy that the article led with comparisons to Oracle and Sybase and
only dropped down to MySQL.   Overally, *great* coverage for us.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Infoworld

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> FWIW, Mr. Krill asked me about comparisons to a variety of databases.
> I'm
> pretty happy that the article led with comparisons to Oracle and
Sybase
> and
> only dropped down to MySQL.   Overally, *great* coverage for us.

Oh yes, it was a very good article.  Very interesting bit about
increased investment in open sources databases.

Just pointing out that some of our public statements (not necessarily
yours, Josh, or this article) tend to degenerate into the pg v. mysql
debate.  At the time, I had just been looking over some of the Slashdot
comments and actually felt kind of bad for the mysql people by the
severe thrashing they had to endure there.

Merlin

The same in German: Computerwoche

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
On Thursday, 20. January 2005 15:59, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2265&ncid=738&e=9&u=/infowo
>rld/20050119/tc_infoworld/53278

This story has been translated and published in Germany by Computerwoche which
is also part of IDG network.

http://www.computerwoche.de/index.cfm?pageid=254&artid=70159&linktype=nl

Anastasios

Re: Infoworld

Date:
Is someone collecting all the URL's for 8.0 release articles so we can
post it as a news item to our homepage?

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2265&ncid=738&e=9&u=/infoworld/20050119/tc_infoworld/53278
>
> --
> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Infoworld

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Is someone collecting all the URL's for 8.0 release articles so we can
> post it as a news item to our homepage?

Does it include articles written in other than English?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2265&ncid=738&e=9&u=/infoworld/20050119/tc_infoworld/53278
> >
> > --
> > Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> > Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> > +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> > PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL
> >

> [ Attachment, skipping... ]

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
> >       joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Infoworld

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > Is someone collecting all the URL's for 8.0 release articles so we can
> > post it as a news item to our homepage?
>
> Does it include articles written in other than English?

Sure.  I would like to get a collection of press items in all languages
and keep it updated.

Re: Infoworld

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>>> Is someone collecting all the URL's for 8.0 release articles so we can
>>> post it as a news item to our homepage?
>>
>> Does it include articles written in other than English?
>
> Sure.  I would like to get a collection of press items in all languages
> and keep it updated.

Doesn't the new site have a 'In The News' sort of link section pointing to
stuff like this?  If not, what would it take to get such a thing added?
With the # of articles flying around, maintaining a chronological listing
of such (not just one big news posting) seems to be a wise idea, no?

----

Re: Infoworld

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > > Is someone collecting all the URL's for 8.0 release articles so we can
> > > post it as a news item to our homepage?
> >
> > Does it include articles written in other than English?
>
> Sure.  I would like to get a collection of press items in all languages
> and keep it updated.

Here they are:

http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/free/ITPro/NEWS/20050119/154938/
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/enterprise/articles/0501/19/news061.html