pg_live

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hi all,

Next week I begin my work updating pg_live, the postgres live CD that was introduced this past summer at OSCON.

It will feature a live working postgres 8.0, updated documentation and will include the windows installer with binary.
Aswell, pg_live will contain a complete set of diagnostic utilities for system and network administration to serve as
anemergency boot CD.

The idea is to have the CD ready for Linux World (Boston) 2005. However, if I can get some assistance from the
community,I would like to make it compatible for the Solutions Linux that will be held in Paris this coming February
tooby getting the documentation translated into the appropriate languages.

SRA America and Afilias are both playing a part, i.e. money for pressing the CDs.

I will be making available the iso image to the community when all is ready.

Contact me directly if you would like a copy of the iso that was used at OSCON.

cheers

Robert Bernier

Re: pg_live

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> The idea is to have the CD ready for Linux World (Boston) 2005. However, if
> I can get some assistance from the community, I would like to make it
> compatible for the Solutions Linux that will be held in Paris this coming
> February too by getting the documentation translated into the appropriate
> languages.
>
> SRA America and Afilias are both playing a part, i.e. money for pressing
> the CDs.

Is SRA sposoring a booth?

Otherwise, I should send you the Postgresql.org booth application, yes?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: pg_live

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Date:
Hi,

Robert Bernier wrote:
> It will feature a live working postgres 8.0, updated documentation and will include the windows installer with
binary.As well, pg_live will contain a complete set of diagnostic utilities for system and network administration to
serveas an emergency boot CD.

> The idea is to have the CD ready for Linux World (Boston) 2005. However, if I can get some assistance from the
community,I would like to make it compatible for the Solutions Linux that will be held in Paris this coming February
tooby getting the documentation translated into the appropriate languages.

If I can help you in any ways, just tell me.

I'm translating the PostgreSQL manual in french and hope to finish it at
the end of this year. Unfortunately, I'm translating the 7.4.0 release,
not 8.0. I don't think I can translate 8.0 before Solutions Linux... but
  it would be pretty cool :)

If you want to build a french CD, 8.0 will be the first PostgreSQL
release to be completely translated in french. I'm also doing the
translation of pginstaller. I hope to be able to send it to
pginstaller's mainteners by the end of the week.

> SRA America and Afilias are both playing a part, i.e. money for pressing the CDs.
>
> I will be making available the iso image to the community when all is ready.

That would be great, thank you.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Bernier (by way of Robert Bernier
Date:
On December 15, 2004 02:29 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Robert Bernier wrote:
> > It will feature a live working postgres 8.0, updated documentation and
> > will include the windows installer with binary. As well, pg_live will
> > contain a complete set of diagnostic utilities for system and network
> > administration to serve as an emergency boot CD.
> >
> > The idea is to have the CD ready for Linux World (Boston) 2005. However,
> > if I can get some assistance from the community, I would like to make it
> > compatible for the Solutions Linux that will be held in Paris this coming
> > February too by getting the documentation translated into the appropriate
> > languages.
>
> If I can help you in any ways, just tell me.

Next week is when I start working on it. I'll be concentrating on updating
 and streamlining the boot process at that point.

> I'm translating the PostgreSQL manual in french and hope to finish it at
> the end of this year. Unfortunately, I'm translating the 7.4.0 release,
> not 8.0. I don't think I can translate 8.0 before Solutions Linux... but
>   it would be pretty cool :)

I could have both the 7.4 version and 8.0 versions active (but it's too soon
 to tell what kind of resources this is going to chew up on a system).

> If you want to build a french CD, 8.0 will be the first PostgreSQL
> release to be completely translated in french. I'm also doing the
> translation of pginstaller. I hope to be able to send it to
> pginstaller's mainteners by the end of the week.

There's no problem to doing this. I figure the easiest way is to upgrade the
 english version and then either create a french only version or add a simple
 option permitting using French. I'll need to reflect on the issues.

cheers

Robert Bernier

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 15 December 2004 14:55, Robert Bernier wrote:
> I could have both the 7.4 version and 8.0 versions active (but it's too
> soon to tell what kind of resources this is going to chew up on a system).

Now if you wanted to be really slick you could set up both versions with Slony
replicating between the 7.4 and 8.0 installs :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On December 15, 2004 03:39 pm, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2004 14:55, Robert Bernier wrote:
> > I could have both the 7.4 version and 8.0 versions active (but it's too
> > soon to tell what kind of resources this is going to chew up on a
> > system).
>
> Now if you wanted to be really slick you could set up both versions with
> Slony replicating between the 7.4 and 8.0 installs :-)

uugh that's so obvious, why didn't I think of it before!!