Press FAQ/Volunteer FAQ

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I'd like some help on writing up a FAQ for the regional contacts for the 8.0
release to avoid accidentially giving the press bad facts or putting our
people on the spot.  Can folks please comment on it with
corrections/additions?

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_FAQ.txt

This will also become part of our new press page at www.postgresql.org when
the new site goes up.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Press FAQ/Volunteer FAQ

From
Rodrigo Carvalhaes
Date:
Hi Josh!

Really good! Congratulations.

Don't you think that it's interesting put something concerning the
PostgreSQL limitations concerning maximum table size, maximum number of
columns,  etc ?  This is an usual question...

Cheers,

Rodrigo Carvalhaes

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I'd like some help on writing up a FAQ for the regional contacts for the 8.0
>release to avoid accidentially giving the press bad facts or putting our
>people on the spot.  Can folks please comment on it with
>corrections/additions?
>
>http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_FAQ.txt
>
>This will also become part of our new press page at www.postgresql.org when
>the new site goes up.

Re: Press FAQ/Volunteer FAQ

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_FAQ.txt

Sounds good, except for this:

"US and international law currently makes it difficult to publish
benchmarks for competing commercial database systems"

I think you are looking for "the end-user license agreements of the
products in question".  I don't know of any restrictions on
benchmarking that is due to standard law.  IT magazines certainly
publish benchmarks all the time without asking anyone.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Press FAQ/Volunteer FAQ

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
You know Josh, I think he's got something here. I remember being a little thrown off by reading about limitations
ratherthan abilities the first time I read the PostgreSQL documentation. Is it time we reviewed this tradition?

On December 6, 2004 05:10 pm, Rodrigo Carvalhaes wrote:
> Hi Josh!
>
> Really good! Congratulations.
>
> Don't you think that it's interesting put something concerning the
> PostgreSQL limitations concerning maximum table size, maximum number of
> columns,  etc ?  This is an usual question...

Re: Press FAQ/Volunteer FAQ

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Hi,

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'd like some help on writing up a FAQ for the regional contacts for the 8.0
> release to avoid accidentially giving the press bad facts or putting our
> people on the spot.  Can folks please comment on it with
> corrections/additions?
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_FAQ.txt
>
> This will also become part of our new press page at www.postgresql.org when
> the new site goes up.

I thought of few on my own. They are not exactly related to new release etc.
but these could be thrown by new users. It would be better if all the press
contacts could sing the same tune.

These needs to be elaborated though. I have just chalked out few points from a
newbie-postgresql user's POV.

--------
Q: Tell me about the native Windows support
A: - It's new.
    - It is available only on Windows 2000 or better.
    - It is expected to be fully functional.
    - Performance *may* not be as good as Unix/PostgreSQL.
    - Test before you use.
    - Remember, it is new.

Q: What are the GUI tools available for PostgreSQL