News group

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Hi all,
I'm seeing that the Postgresql NG are missing some list
( the WWW for example ) and I see also the other way
around ( comp.database.postgresql.projects.slony1 ).

Also news.us.postgresql.org have more NG then
news.fr.postgresql.org.

Someone is also starting to use some mailing list
web based, don't you think that spread informations
in this way is dispersive ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: News group

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Someone is also starting to use some mailing list
> web based, don't you think that spread informations
> in this way is dispersive ?

Not sure what you are referring to here ... if forum.postgresql.org, it,
like the newsgroups, are bidirectional ...

----

Re: News group

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> | On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> |
> |> Someone is also starting to use some mailing list
> |> web based, don't you think that spread informations
> |> in this way is dispersive ?
> |

> | Not sure what you are referring to here ... if forum.postgresql.org, it,
> | like the newsgroups, are bidirectional ...
>
> I was refering to a proposal of Josh Berkus to use the Forums on pgfoundry
> in order to coordinate the translators efforts.
>
> I did't even know the existence of forum.postgresql.org; if you take as
> example
> forum.postgresql.org I see pgsql-www that is not present on
> news.fr.postgresql.org
> and I see also the existence of comp.database.postgresql.projects.slony1 on
> news.us.postgresql.org that is not on news.fr.postgresql.org and neither on
> that
> web forum.

Ya, -www should be added, and slony should be removed, since its not a
pgsql-* list, but a gborg one ...

----

Re: News group

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:

Re: News group

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 10:43:04AM +0100, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> and I see also the existence of comp.database.postgresql.projects.slony1 on
> news.us.postgresql.org that is not on news.fr.postgresql.org and neither on
> that
> web forum.
>
> I really think that this in an area that deserve improvements.

I don't really want to get dragged into the whole newsgroup
flame-fest, but if you think that it needs improvement, the best way
to get that improvement is either to get comp.* groups through a CFV
and included properly in the hierarchy (in which case propogation
shouldn't be an issed), or use the alt.* hierarchy (ditto).  I'm
getting a little annoyed that a community which prides itself on
cleaving to the SQL standards is being so completely cavalier about
the conventions of another important Net community (Usenet).

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner