Which platfform do you recommend?

From
nd02tsk@student.hig.se
Date:
Hello

I am wondering which plattform PostgreSQL performs best under?
I am doing a comparison with MySQL which, according to their manual, runs
best under Linux 2.4 with ReiserFS on x86.

Thank you.

Tim

Re: Which platfform do you recommend?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Which platfform do you recommend?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:38:45AM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> For Linux, ext3 seems better, but under some circumstances ext2 could run
> more stable. Check pgsql-perform list archives for more discussions on
> filesystems on Linux.

Some time ago, Chris Browne posted some test results he did.  It
turned out that jfs beat xfs, and that either of them completely
trounced both reiser and ext3.  In particular, ext3 was just plain
slow.  We won't consider ext2 because it's too dangerous in case of
crash.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland

Re: Which platfform do you recommend?

From
Evan Rempel
Date:
Do you have a reference for the post that Chris Browne made?
I would be very interested to see the performance differences for the
different filesystems.

Evan.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:33:39 -0400
> From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>
> To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Which platfform do you recommend?
>
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:38:45AM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> >
> > For Linux, ext3 seems better, but under some circumstances ext2 could run
> > more stable. Check pgsql-perform list archives for more discussions on
> > filesystems on Linux.
>
> Some time ago, Chris Browne posted some test results he did.  It
> turned out that jfs beat xfs, and that either of them completely
> trounced both reiser and ext3.  In particular, ext3 was just plain
> slow.  We won't consider ext2 because it's too dangerous in case of
> crash.

> Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
> In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
> garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
>                 --Brad Holland

Evan Rempel                erempel@uvic.ca
Senior Programmer Analyst        250.721.7691
Computing Services
University of Victoria

Re: Which platfform do you recommend?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:51:37AM -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:

> Do you have a reference for the post that Chris Browne made?
> I would be very interested to see the performance differences for the
> different filesystems.

http://www.pgsql.ru

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-11/msg01692.php

"No renuncies a nada. No te aferres a nada."

Re: Which platfform do you recommend?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
The world rejoiced as ajs@crankycanuck.ca (Andrew Sullivan) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:38:45AM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>>
>> For Linux, ext3 seems better, but under some circumstances ext2 could run
>> more stable. Check pgsql-perform list archives for more discussions on
>> filesystems on Linux.
>
> Some time ago, Chris Browne posted some test results he did.  It
> turned out that jfs beat xfs, and that either of them completely
> trounced both reiser and ext3.  In particular, ext3 was just plain
> slow.  We won't consider ext2 because it's too dangerous in case of
> crash.

Minor quibble...

... I didn't consider reiserfs at all, for three reasons:

 1.  We weren't seriously considering considering it because
     for DBMS work, it's pretty experimental even yet

 2.  None of the vendors we were dealing with would offer support
     for it.

 3.  It's consciously optimized for dealing with small files, and
     there are conspicuous reports of it slowing down when dealing
     with large files.  Big DBs --> large files...

Drop mention of reiserfs from that and the rest is certainly a fair
assessment.
--
"cbbrowne","@","ntlug.org"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html

Re: Which platfform do you recommend?

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
El Vie 15 Oct 2004 14:53, Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:51:37AM -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:
> > Do you have a reference for the post that Chris Browne made?
> > I would be very interested to see the performance differences for the
> > different filesystems.
>
> http://www.pgsql.ru
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-11/msg01692.php

What about if the FS is over a RAID? How important is the FS choice in those
cases?

And by the way, what's the best RAID configuration for a database with fairly
equal reads vs. writes?

--
 16:45:02 up 33 days,  7:03,  2 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.32, 0.26
Martín Marqués        | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'

Date:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 04:49:46PM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> El Vie 15 Oct 2004 14:53, Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:51:37AM -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:
> > > Do you have a reference for the post that Chris Browne made?
> > > I would be very interested to see the performance differences for the
> > > different filesystems.
> >
> > http://www.pgsql.ru
> >
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-11/msg01692.php
>
> What about if the FS is over a RAID? How important is the FS choice in those
> cases?

Dunno about RAID, but search about Joe Conway's weird problems with LVM
and XFS ... and be afraid --- be very afraid.  And test a lot.

"Before you were born your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They
got that way paying your bills, cleaning up your room and listening to you
tell them how idealistic you are."  -- Charles J. Sykes' advice to teenagers