Re: [HACKERS] Call for BOFs Linux World Expo Boston

Mark Wong wrote:
> I'd like to set up a BOF with any of the developers who are interested
> in Boston at the Linux World Expo coming up at the end of February.  I
> don't have anything specific in mind and would like to get something
> going.  Any takers?
>
> Some of the things I'm currently working on are OLTP and DSS performance
> testing of PostgreSQL 8.0 with futexes on ia-32 (and hopefully ia64)
> platforms, and more filesystems with different mount options.

[ CC to advocacy.]

Sure, I would like to be a part of it.  I could talk about our 8.0
features and perhaps what we expect for 8.1.

Re: [HACKERS] Call for BOFs Linux World Expo Boston

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:28:37PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Mark Wong wrote:
> > I'd like to set up a BOF with any of the developers who are interested
> > in Boston at the Linux World Expo coming up at the end of February.  I
> > don't have anything specific in mind and would like to get something
> > going.  Any takers?
> >
> > Some of the things I'm currently working on are OLTP and DSS performance
> > testing of PostgreSQL 8.0 with futexes on ia-32 (and hopefully ia64)
> > platforms, and more filesystems with different mount options.
>
> [ CC to advocacy.]
>
> Sure, I would like to be a part of it.  I could talk about our 8.0
> features and perhaps what we expect for 8.1.

Is there a separate list for features that missed the 8.0 cutoff and
are slated for 8.1?  For non-specific 8.n, n>0?

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] Call for BOFs Linux World Expo Boston

Date:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:28:37PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Mark Wong wrote:
> > > I'd like to set up a BOF with any of the developers who are interested
> > > in Boston at the Linux World Expo coming up at the end of February.  I
> > > don't have anything specific in mind and would like to get something
> > > going.  Any takers?
> > >
> > > Some of the things I'm currently working on are OLTP and DSS performance
> > > testing of PostgreSQL 8.0 with futexes on ia-32 (and hopefully ia64)
> > > platforms, and more filesystems with different mount options.
> >
> > [ CC to advocacy.]
> >
> > Sure, I would like to be a part of it.  I could talk about our 8.0
> > features and perhaps what we expect for 8.1.
>
> Is there a separate list for features that missed the 8.0 cutoff and
> are slated for 8.1?  For non-specific 8.n, n>0?

No, not really.  The only things I think we know we want for 8.1 is
better integrated auto-vacuum and 2-phase commit.

Date:
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 03:29:59PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:

> > > [ CC to advocacy.]
> > >
> > > Sure, I would like to be a part of it.  I could talk about our
> > > 8.0 features and perhaps what we expect for 8.1.
> >
> > Is there a separate list for features that missed the 8.0 cutoff
> > and are slated for 8.1?  For non-specific 8.n, n>0?
>
> No, not really.  The only things I think we know we want for 8.1 is
> better integrated auto-vacuum and 2-phase commit.

Neato!

Those are quite significant features, definitely worth another
release.  Is there some way to mark this kind of stuff on the TODO
list?  Right now things are marked, essentially, "might get done
eventually," and "handled in the coming release."  Maybe some marker
like "slated for version m.n" would be good. :)

Also, is there a separate patch queueueue for "things that didn't make
the upcoming release?"

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] Call for BOFs Linux World Expo Boston

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> No, not really.  The only things I think we know we want for 8.1 is
> better integrated auto-vacuum and 2-phase commit.

What about the User Space quota patch?   I though that one was pending review
as well.

And the completion of exception-handling for functions based on savepoints.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: [HACKERS] Call for BOFs Linux World Expo Boston

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> Is there some way to mark this kind of stuff on the TODO
> list?  Right now things are marked, essentially, "might get done
> eventually," and "handled in the coming release."  Maybe some marker
> like "slated for version m.n" would be good. :)

If we actually had such a schedule and people paid to meet it, such
markings might mean something.  The truth of the matter is that the
TODO list is just a collection of things that some people think might
be good things to work on eventually.  Reading more into it than that
is a mistake, because there is no schedule.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Call for BOFs Linux World Expo Boston

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> What about the User Space quota patch?

What about it?  We never actually got one, according to my mailbox.

I was a tad concerned about the speed penalty associated with possibly
checking during every commit, but in the absence of seeing a patch it's
impossible to say if that worry is justified or not.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Call for BOFs Linux World Expo Boston

Date:
I agree with Tom on both points, userspace quote and TODO list items.