Draft Seven

My apologies Jan - I didn't ignore your comment, I must have overlooked
it.  See my re-wording below - is that more like what you were expecting?

I came up with a good compromise for the "thousands of developers/12
commiters vs. hundreds of developers" discussion, though we still might
want to address Chris Browne's points.  While the body text does
illuminate these points, it might be beneficial to make them painfully
obvious:

>a) It's not some tiny clique vulnerable to the vagaries of one
>    organization's business risks;
>b) It's not _controlled_ by one organization, either;
>c) It is also not some sort of anarchy that lets just anyone check in
>     their favorite security holes.

If I have overlooked anyone else, please let me know.

Thanks,
--Josh

---

August 24, 2004 - The PostgreSQL Global Development group today made
available version 8 of the PostgreSQL Object-Relational Database
Management System, the most advanced open source database in the world.
With this new release, professional users have a world-class, scalable,
open source database solution that has many of the features provided by
commercial products.

PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database the
strongest contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2.  Many companies,
such as Fujitsu, Afilias, RedHat, the Command Prompt consultancy, and SRA,
who view PostgreSQL as a strategic part of their overall I.T. plan, have
sponsored development of the new features, which include:

Native Windows Support:  PostgreSQL now works natively with Windows
systems and does not need an emulation layer.  This provides dramatically
improved performance over previous versions, and offers a compelling
alternative to Microsoft SQL Server for independent software vendors,
corporate users, and individual Windows developers.

Savepoints:  Savepoints allow specific parts of a database transaction to
be aborted without affecting the whole transaction.  This feature is
valuable for application developers who require error recovery within
complex transactions.

Point in Time Recovery: Point in Time Recovery provides a full recovery
model that allows data recovery from bare-metal to the point of failure or
to a specific point in time, based around automatically archived
transaction logs.

Tablespaces:  This feature allows the database administrator to choose
which filesystems are used for schemas, tables, and indexes.  This allows
the administrator to separate different parts of their data onto separate
disks to improve performance.

Improved Memory and I/O usage:  With this release of PostgreSQL, disk
input/output subsystems have been improved to use shared buffers more
effectively, yielding more predictable loads and substantially better
performance during peak usage times.

There are also several new external components which complement the core
PostgreSQL database engine:

- Slony-I is a a "master-slave" replication system with cascading and
failover capabilities.  It even lets you replicate between two different
versions of PostgreSQL, allowing for simple and painless upgrades.
- PostgreSQL has beefed up several areas of its language interoperability
including the procedural languages PL/Perl, PL/PHP and PL/Java.
- With this version, Postgresql also offers the .Net provider, Npgsql.

Version 8 is the collective work of hundreds of developers, building on
almost twenty years of development dating back to the University of
California at Berkeley.  The PostgreSQL group has over one thousand
members, working at different companies all over the world.

PostgreSQL is licensed under the BSD license, giving maximum flexibility
for both commercial and noncommercial use.  This puts PostgreSQL users in
full control of how PostgreSQL is deployed in their organizations. The
PostgreSQL database can be downloaded freely at http://www.postgresql.org.

Re: Draft Seven

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
I have a few suggestions (see below mixed into the release).

> August 24, 2004 - The PostgreSQL Global Development group today made
> available version 8 of the PostgreSQL Object-Relational Database
> Management System, the most advanced open source database in the
world.
> With this new release, professional users have a world-class,
scalable,

All releases are new...might be better just to say 'With this release',
perhaps spicing it up a bit with 'groundbreaking'.

> open source database solution that has many of the features provided
by
> commercial products.
>
> PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database the
> strongest contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2.  Many
companies,
> such as Fujitsu, Afilias, RedHat, the Command Prompt consultancy, and
SRA,
> who view PostgreSQL as a strategic part of their overall I.T. plan,
have
> sponsored development of the new features, which include:

The phrasing, 'such as', does not feel quite right.  Don't know what I'd
replace it with though.

> Native Windows Support:  PostgreSQL now works natively with Windows
> systems and does not need an emulation layer.  This provides
dramatically

I think replace 'and does not need' with 'without', which is more to the
point.

> improved performance over previous versions, and offers a compelling
> alternative to Microsoft SQL Server for independent software vendors,
> corporate users, and individual Windows developers.
>
> Savepoints:  Savepoints allow specific parts of a database transaction
> be aborted without affecting the whole transaction.  This feature is
> valuable for application developers who require error recovery within
> complex transactions.
>
> Point in Time Recovery: Point in Time Recovery provides a full
recovery
> model that allows data recovery from bare-metal to the point of
failure or
> to a specific point in time, based around automatically archived
> transaction logs.
>
> Tablespaces:  This feature allows the database administrator to choose
> which filesystems are used for schemas, tables, and indexes.  This
allows
> the administrator to separate different parts of their data onto
separate
> disks to improve performance.

Very minor nit: the bullet point descriptions for savepoints and PITR
began with naming them explicitly, while table spaces is described as
'This Feature'.

> Improved Memory and I/O usage:  With this release of PostgreSQL, disk
> input/output subsystems have been improved to use shared buffers more
> effectively, yielding more predictable loads and substantially better
> performance during peak usage times.

Maybe (just maybe) the term shared buffers is to technical for a press
release...I'd consider removing 'to use...effectively'.

> There are also several new external components which complement the
core
> PostgreSQL database engine:
>
> - Slony-I is a a "master-slave" replication system with cascading and
> failover capabilities.  It even lets you replicate between two
different
> versions of PostgreSQL, allowing for simple and painless upgrades.

I'd like to see the word 'asynchronous' injected in there somewhere.
Also, I think it looks better without the double quotes around
master-slave.

> - PostgreSQL has beefed up several areas of its language
interoperability
> including the procedural languages PL/Perl, PL/PHP and PL/Java.
> - With this version, Postgresql also offers the .Net provider, Npgsql.
>
> Version 8 is the collective work of hundreds of developers, building
on
> almost twenty years of development dating back to the University of
> California at Berkeley.  The PostgreSQL group has over one thousand
> members, working at different companies all over the world.
>
> PostgreSQL is licensed under the BSD license, giving maximum
flexibility
> for both commercial and noncommercial use.  This puts PostgreSQL users
in
> full control of how PostgreSQL is deployed in their organizations. The
> PostgreSQL database can be downloaded freely at
http://www.postgresql.org.

Merlin

Re: Draft Seven

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>- Slony-I is a a "master-slave" replication system with cascading and
>>failover capabilities.  It even lets you replicate between two
>
> different
>
>>versions of PostgreSQL, allowing for simple and painless upgrades.

This doesn't sound good: It even lets you replicate between two
different versions of PostgreSQL, allowing for simple and painless upgrades.

I think just the first sentence is more than enough spice.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> I'd like to see the word 'asynchronous' injected in there somewhere.
> Also, I think it looks better without the double quotes around
> master-slave.
>

>>- PostgreSQL has beefed up several areas of its language
>
> interoperability
>
>>including the procedural languages PL/Perl, PL/PHP and PL/Java.
>>- With this version, Postgresql also offers the .Net provider, Npgsql.
>>
>>Version 8 is the collective work of hundreds of developers, building
>
> on
>
>>almost twenty years of development dating back to the University of
>>California at Berkeley.  The PostgreSQL group has over one thousand
>>members, working at different companies all over the world.
>>
>>PostgreSQL is licensed under the BSD license, giving maximum
>
> flexibility
>
>>for both commercial and noncommercial use.  This puts PostgreSQL users
>
> in
>
>>full control of how PostgreSQL is deployed in their organizations. The
>>PostgreSQL database can be downloaded freely at
>
> http://www.postgresql.org.
>
> Merlin

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Draft Seven

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
Hmmm....some changes seem to have crept in over the weekend.

DRAFT 7 reads...

> PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database the
> strongest contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2.  Many companies,
> such as Fujitsu, Afilias, RedHat, the Command Prompt consultancy, and SRA,
> who view PostgreSQL as a strategic part of their overall I.T. plan, have
> sponsored development of the new features, which include:

DRAFT 6 read....

> In addition to reaching a new milestone in scalability, PostgreSQL 8.0
> demonstrates the unparalleled development ability of open source.
>  Red Hat,
> Fujitsu, Afilias, SRA of Japan, 2nd Quadrant, Command Prompt, and
> more than a
> dozen other companies as well as over 200 individual developers
> contributed
> to add more major features to 8.0 than have been seen in any previous
> version.   These features include:

The only effect of this re-write seems to have been to remove my company's
name from the list, though Red Hat is now credited. This probably means
little to many people, but clearly a lot to me.

Could I ask for an explanation as to why?

I have heard no objection? If there is, please say so now. I have no problem
with such comments being aired.

The criteria for inclusion previously was major feature contributors - now
it seems to be something else. What is the rationale now? If that is clearly
stated, I'll be happy, as long as it isn't specifically crafted to exclude.
As an aside, 2nd Quadrant's view would be that PostgreSQL is a strategic
part of their overall I.T. plan - as I dare say do about 12-20 other
contributors.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: Draft Seven

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon, Josh,

> The only effect of this re-write seems to have been to remove my company's
> name from the list, though Red Hat is now credited. This probably means
> little to many people, but clearly a lot to me.
>
> Could I ask for an explanation as to why?

Actually, I was going to jump on this.   People seem to be ignoring my
suggested re-writes without comment.    Josh, can we get on the same page
here?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Draft Seven

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 08 September 2004 19:22, Simon Riggs wrote:

> The criteria for inclusion previously was major feature contributors - now
> it seems to be something else. What is the rationale now? If that is
> clearly stated, I'll be happy, as long as it isn't specifically crafted to
> exclude. As an aside, 2nd Quadrant's view would be that PostgreSQL is a
> strategic part of their overall I.T. plan - as I dare say do about 12-20
> other contributors.

Um.. not really commenting on your email, but just curious what 2nd Quadrent
does, and what role PostgreSQL plays in its IT picture.  TIA.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Draft Seven

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
This was not intentional - Josh, let me re-read your comments to see if
there was a specific reason I didn't follow them.  Simon, I'll adjust this
to reflect your company.

My apologies.

Thanks,
--Josh

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Simon, Josh,
>
> > The only effect of this re-write seems to have been to remove my company's
> > name from the list, though Red Hat is now credited. This probably means
> > little to many people, but clearly a lot to me.
> >
> > Could I ask for an explanation as to why?
>
> Actually, I was going to jump on this.   People seem to be ignoring my
> suggested re-writes without comment.    Josh, can we get on the same page
> here?

Re: Draft Seven

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Oops! simon@2ndquadrant.com ("Simon Riggs") was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> The only effect of this re-write seems to have been to remove my
> company's name from the list, though Red Hat is now credited. This
> probably means little to many people, but clearly a lot to me.
>
> Could I ask for an explanation as to why?
>
> I have heard no objection? If there is, please say so now. I have no
> problem with such comments being aired.
>
> The criteria for inclusion previously was major feature contributors
> - now it seems to be something else. What is the rationale now? If
> that is clearly stated, I'll be happy, as long as it isn't
> specifically crafted to exclude.  As an aside, 2nd Quadrant's view
> would be that PostgreSQL is a strategic part of their overall
> I.T. plan - as I dare say do about 12-20 other contributors.

I don't have all the drafts handy, but it looks to me like 2nd
Quadrant never got mentioned _anywhere_ in the drafts.

Grepping through my relevant mail folder, the only mention I see of
2nd Quadrant as other than part of your email address was when Josh
Berkus was trying to point people to write useful things rather than
squabbling.  To wit:

  "As a compromise between Peter's perspective and mine/Andrew's, I
  think that we should focus on the features but name-drop.  So we
  need to work in company names at appropriate points, namely Fujitsu,
  Afilias, Red Hat, Open Source Development Labs, Command Prompt, 2nd
  Quadrant, and SRA-America (am I forgetting someone?).  The names
  should get across the multi-company involvement without dwelling on
  it."

That was kind of "pre-drafts."

Personally, I didn't have "2nd Quadrant" in mind; when thinking of
PITR, it's your name that comes to mind, not the company name.

Perhaps a company has been forgotten, and needs to be added...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html

Re: Draft Seven (maybe 8)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris, Josh,

> Grepping through my relevant mail folder, the only mention I see of
> 2nd Quadrant as other than part of your email address was when Josh
> Berkus was trying to point people to write useful things rather than
> squabbling.  To wit:

Hmmm ... I'm beginning to get the feeling that some people did not receive my
re-written version of Draft 6.  It included 2nd Quadrant, and also a
re-written paragraph 2 and 5 that I feel somewhat assertive about.   Let me
re-post here:

=======================================

COMPANIES:  having seen both forms, I think that it's better to list the
companies in one sentence than attribute each feature.    There are probably
some more companes we could add; anyone who contributed a major feature or
add-on, or sponsors a full-time developer.  ?

2nd P:  I think this works better if it focuses on our rapid development,
which is also important for the image of our project.

PostgreSQL Is ... we have standard text for this, I'll post it as soon as our
web site !!!! gets fixed.

200 developers:   We need to get a firm count from the patches list before
going live with this.   I'll ask Bruce.

NY, NY: August 24, 2004 - The PostgreSQL Global Development group has released
version 8.0 of the PostgreSQL object-relational database management system,
maintaining PostgreSQL's position as the most advanced open source database
in the world. This release includes many features previously only available
in the most expensive proprietary database software, and is expected to
dramatically increase the adoption of PostgreSQL by both developers and
software vendors.

<quote here>

In addition to reaching a new milestone in scalability, PostgreSQL 8.0
demonstrates the unparalleled development ability of open source.  Red Hat,
Fujitsu, Afilias, SRA of Japan, 2nd Quadrant, Command Prompt, and more than a
dozen other companies as well as over 200 individual developers contributed
to add more major features to 8.0 than have been seen in any previous
version.   These features include:

Native Windows Support:  PostgreSQL now works natively with Windows
systems and does not need an emulation layer.  This provides dramatically
improved performance over previous versions, and offers a compelling
alternative to proprietary database software for independent software vendors,
corporate users, and individual Windows developers.

Savepoints:  Savepoints allow specific parts of a database transaction to
be rolled back without aborting.  This has been a long-sought feature by
developers of complex business applications.

Point In Time Recovery: PITR provides "continuous backup", allowing minimal
loss of data even in the event of total hardware failure.

Tablespaces:  crucial to the administrators of multi-gigabyte data warehousing
systems, tablespaces allow the placement of large tables and indexes on their
own individual disks or arrays.

Improved Memory and I/O:  Disk and memory usage have been improved through
Adaptive Replacement Cache, the Background Writer, and Lazy Vacuum.   This
will result in more predictable loads and substantially more even performance
during peak usage times.

<quote here>

In addition to the many features bundled with the release, PostgreSQL has been
enhanced by accellerated development of add-ons and optional components over
the last year.    The Slony-I replication tool and the pgPool connection
pooling/brokering utility are both already being used for high-availability
clustering.   Several stored procedure languages have been added or greatly
expanded, including PL/Java, PL/PHP and PL/Perl, and the Npgsql .NET data
provider has been enhanced to support our many new Windows users.

Of course, there are many more new features.   For a full list, see our
Release Notes <link>

<quote here>

<standard "what is postgresql" blurb here>

<all trademarks there respective owners, etc.>

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Draft Seven

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
josh@bitbuckets.com wrote:
> PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database the
> strongest contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2.  Many
> companies, such as Fujitsu, Afilias, RedHat, the Command Prompt
> consultancy, and SRA, who view PostgreSQL as a strategic part of
> their overall I.T. plan, have sponsored development of the new
> features, which include:

The companies should be listed in parallel grammatical form and should
be spelled correctly:

"such as Fujitsu, Afilias, Red Hat, Command Prompt, and SRA"

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Draft Seven

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> josh@bitbuckets.com wrote:
>> PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database the
>> strongest contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2.  Many
>> companies, such as Fujitsu, Afilias, RedHat, the Command Prompt
>> consultancy, and SRA, who view PostgreSQL as a strategic part of
>> their overall I.T. plan, have sponsored development of the new
>> features, which include:
>
> The companies should be listed in parallel grammatical form and should
> be spelled correctly:
>
> "such as Fujitsu, Afilias, Red Hat, Command Prompt, and SRA"

Stupid question here ... but *what* is parallel grammatical form?

----

Re: Draft Seven

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > josh@bitbuckets.com wrote:
> >> PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database the
> >> strongest contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2.  Many
> >> companies, such as Fujitsu, Afilias, RedHat, the Command Prompt
> >> consultancy, and SRA, who view PostgreSQL as a strategic part of
> >> their overall I.T. plan, have sponsored development of the new
> >> features, which include:
> >
> > The companies should be listed in parallel grammatical form and should
> > be spelled correctly:
> >
> > "such as Fujitsu, Afilias, Red Hat, Command Prompt, and SRA"
>
> Stupid question here ... but *what* is parallel grammatical form?

I started to compose the same question, but then googled:

http://gsmweb.udallas.edu/iep/immweb/gram_parallel.html

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: Draft Seven

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Dan Langille wrote:
> > > The companies should be listed in parallel grammatical form and
> > > should be spelled correctly:
> > >
> > > "such as Fujitsu, Afilias, Red Hat, Command Prompt, and SRA"
> >
> > Stupid question here ... but *what* is parallel grammatical form?
>
> I started to compose the same question, but then googled:
>
> http://gsmweb.udallas.edu/iep/immweb/gram_parallel.html

OK, it isn't really parallel grammatical form in this case, since they
are all noun phrases, but the form in which each company is listed and
attributions given for each should be parallel.  That is, details such
as "the consultancy $foo" or "$foo of Japan" or "$foo, Inc." should
either be added in all cases or not at all.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Draft Seven

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
>Robert Treat
> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 19:22, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> > The criteria for inclusion previously was major feature
> contributors - now
> > it seems to be something else. What is the rationale now? If that is
> > clearly stated, I'll be happy, as long as it isn't specifically
> crafted to
> > exclude. As an aside, 2nd Quadrant's view would be that PostgreSQL is a
> > strategic part of their overall I.T. plan - as I dare say do about 12-20
> > other contributors.
> >

> Um.. not really commenting on your email, but just curious what
> 2nd Quadrent
> does, and what role PostgreSQL plays in its IT picture.  TIA.

...you asked, so I answer...

2nd Quadrant is a specialist consulting, resourcing & training company
focused squarely on large/growing enterprise computing - of which I am lead
Principal Consultant. www.2ndquadrant.com

Currently, as far as PostgreSQL goes, we offer the UK's only publicly
scheduled PostgreSQL courses, which I teach, as well as custom training and
some support. The PostgreSQL side is increasing...

On a personal note, I look forward to the expansion of the PostgreSQL side,
which will allow me personally to focus on major additional features.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs, 2nd Quadrant Ltd