News of the LJ award has hit Slashdot

From
Steve Bergman
Date:
And people are falling all over each other to gush about how great
PostgreSQL is. :-)

http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/08/15/0214254.shtml?tid=221&tid=218

Re: News of the LJ award has hit Slashdot

Date:
Steve Bergman wrote:
> And people are falling all over each other to gush about how great
> PostgreSQL is. :-)
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/08/15/0214254.shtml?tid=221&tid=218

Agreed, it was a very gushy thread.  I sent it to the internal SRA email
list.  :-)

Re: News of the LJ award has hit Slashdot

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Oops! steve@rueb.com (Steve Bergman) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> And people are falling all over each other to gush about how great
> PostgreSQL is. :-)
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/08/15/0214254.shtml?tid=221&tid=218

The lastest relevant Slashdot thread has something of a "feeding
frenzy" about the latest convulsions about the latest MySQL licensing
changes.  Quite entertaining; the more it continues, the less there is
need for advocacy efforts here ;-).
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html

Re: News of the LJ award has hit Slashdot

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris,

> The lastest relevant Slashdot thread has something of a "feeding
> frenzy" about the latest convulsions about the latest MySQL licensing
> changes.  Quite entertaining; the more it continues, the less there is
> need for advocacy efforts here ;-).

Au contraire, buddy.   MySQL was never who we've needed to beat; in fact,
their PR did a lot of good for OSS databases in general.   Who we need PR to
fight is Microsoft, DB2 and Oracle.

Not that I'm not getting some guilty enjoyment out of Monty & David's faux
passes ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 20:39 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Au contraire, buddy.   MySQL was never who we've needed to beat; in fact,
> their PR did a lot of good for OSS databases in general.   Who we need PR to
> fight is Microsoft, DB2 and Oracle.

Nevertheless, there's never been a better time to emphasize PostgreSQL's
BSD licensing.

Should something like "PostgreSQL 8.0.0 is the first BSD licensed full
fledged RDBMS with native Win32 support" or something be worked into the
press release, I wonder? (And is that even true?)

-Steve Bergman

Re: News of the LJ award has hit Slashdot

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
> Bruce Momjian
> Steve Bergman wrote:
> > And people are falling all over each other to gush about how great
> > PostgreSQL is. :-)
> >
> > http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/08/15/0214254.shtml?tid=221&tid=218
>
> Agreed, it was a very gushy thread.

Very little compelling reason to use MySQL anymore (Score:5, Informative)
by kcbrown (7426) <slashdot@sysexperts.com> on Sunday August 15, @07:35AM
(#9973157)

In short, PostgreSQL has gotten very, very good in a relatively short period
of time. It's so good compared with the other freely-available databases out
there that I can't really think of a compelling reason to use anything
else -- it's so good that if you need something more capable then you're
going to have to pay big, big money.

In short, PostgreSQL deserves very much to win this award, and the
PostgreSQL development crew deserves a ton of kudos for producing such a
kickass database system.

Date:
> Steve Bergman
> And people are falling all over each other to gush about how great
> PostgreSQL is. :-)
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/08/15/0214254.shtml?tid=221&tid=218

I think we should also have a vote of thanks to Josh Berkus for his advocacy
work.....

Slashdot didn't find out about it by accident...

Best regards, Simon Riggs

Re: News of the LJ award has hit Slashdot

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon,

> I think we should also have a vote of thanks to Josh Berkus for his
> advocacy work.....
>
> Slashdot didn't find out about it by accident...

Thanks, but I can't take credit for either the award or the Slashdotting.

Nor can I take credit for all of PostgreSQL's advocacy; I just do my share of
it and get to wear the pointy hat by picking up the slack.  Bruce, Robert T.,
Robert B., Greg, Peter, David F., Elein, Alvaro, Josh D., Dan, Ned, etc.,
etc.   And Rueven Lerner, who is probably responsible for the LJ award.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions