another small article

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
There is also a small paragraph mentioning
postgresql 8beta in a german magazine called
"linux-magazin".

This is printed in their actual magazine.
the homepage is http://www.linux-magazin.de/

And they focused on tablespaces,nested transactions and better java
integration -> I think they mean PL/Java

Regards Ewald Geschwinde

Re: another small article

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Ewald Geschwinde wrote:
> And they focused on tablespaces,nested transactions and better java
> integration -> I think they mean PL/Java

I doubt it. At least if you are referring to the paragraph found at
http://www.linux-magazin.de/Artikel/ausgabe/2004/09/zut/zut.html where
the Fujitsu sponsoring is mentioned. Fujitsu is not a PL/Java sponsor.

I think they sponsor the PostgreSQL JDBC driver and perhaps also the
PL/J project.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren

Re: another small article

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> I doubt it. At least if you are referring to the paragraph found at
> http://www.linux-magazin.de/Artikel/ausgabe/2004/09/zut/zut.html
> where the Fujitsu sponsoring is mentioned. Fujitsu is not a PL/Java
> sponsor.
>
> I think they sponsor the PostgreSQL JDBC driver and perhaps also the
> PL/J project.

I think they are mixing up two separate facts:

1. Fujitsu is sponsoring some PostgreSQL features that appear in 8.0.
2. Fujitsu is sponsoring some sort of Java extension.

That does not mean, of course, that a Java extension will appear in 8.0
or that, if some Java extension were to appear around the time of 8.0,
it would be the one sponsored by Fujitsu.  I can see how it can be
confusing.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: another small article

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> 1. Fujitsu is sponsoring some PostgreSQL features that appear in 8.0.
> 2. Fujitsu is sponsoring some sort of Java extension.
>
> That does not mean, of course, that a Java extension will appear in 8.0
> or that, if some Java extension were to appear around the time of 8.0,
> it would be the one sponsored by Fujitsu.  I can see how it can be
> confusing.

Actually, this is my fault.  When we started planning the FJ story, FJ was
talking to Dave Cramer about sponsoring some sort of major improvements to
PL/J and JDBC.  However, that has been postponed and will not be concurrent
with 8.0, and I did not get my correction to the reporter in time.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: another small article

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> > 1. Fujitsu is sponsoring some PostgreSQL features that appear in 8.0.
> > 2. Fujitsu is sponsoring some sort of Java extension.
> >
> > That does not mean, of course, that a Java extension will appear in 8.0
> > or that, if some Java extension were to appear around the time of 8.0,
> > it would be the one sponsored by Fujitsu.  I can see how it can be
> > confusing.
>
> Actually, this is my fault.  When we started planning the FJ story, FJ was
> talking to Dave Cramer about sponsoring some sort of major improvements to
> PL/J and JDBC.  However, that has been postponed and will not be concurrent
> with 8.0, and I did not get my correction to the reporter in time.

Uh, Fujitsu is funding Dave to improve jdbc standards compliance, and a
little support for PL/J.  Dave is not done with the jdbc standards
improvements they would like.

Re: another small article

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Uh, Fujitsu is funding Dave to improve jdbc standards compliance, and a
> little support for PL/J.  Dave is not done with the jdbc standards
> improvements they would like.

Yes, but this won't be concurrent with 8.0 last I checked with Dave (early
July), which was my point.  The article implies that it will be.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: another small article

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Uh, Fujitsu is funding Dave to improve jdbc standards compliance, and a
> > little support for PL/J.  Dave is not done with the jdbc standards
> > improvements they would like.
>
> Yes, but this won't be concurrent with 8.0 last I checked with Dave (early
> July), which was my point.  The article implies that it will be.

Right, not concurrent.