Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Thought you'd find this interesting:
http://www.netezza.com/news/media/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf

... so if anyone tells you that PostgreSQL doesn't scale, point them to that.

Also, a quote from Information Week (the rest of the article isn't quoted
because it contains a number of inaccuracies):

"Netezza Corp. adopted PostgreSQL as the core of the database it developed in
2000-2001 to run inside its Netezza Performance Server 8000 data warehouse
system. That allowed developers to focus on other tasks and shortened the
startup's time-to-market by a year or more, says co-founder and CEO Jit
Saxena."

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>> Thought you'd find this interesting:
>> http://www.netezza.com/news/media/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf
>
> Anyone has this pdf? I need it, but could not find it in my hard drive ,
> and also in web site of netezza.

HTML version from google's cache:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Fr_E4Ohu6BIJ:www.netezza.com/news/media/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf+META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf&hl=en&start=1

Joe

Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 13 September 2004 13:22, Joe Conway wrote:
> Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> >> Thought you'd find this interesting:
> >> http://www.netezza.com/news/media/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf
> >
> > Anyone has this pdf? I need it, but could not find it in my hard drive ,
> > and also in web site of netezza.
>
> HTML version from google's cache:
>
> http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Fr_E4Ohu6BIJ:www.netezza.com/news/medi
>a/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf+META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf&hl=en&start=1

Heres a copy of the original.
http://www.netezza.com/analystReports/2004/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf

Actually what I thought was also good was
http://www.netezza.com/media/2004/InformationWeek_021604.pdf
which highlights a medical groups transition from IBM's Red Brick database to
Netezza's PostgreSQL based solution for a 1.5 TB data warehouse.  It mentions
that they initially hit a scaleability wall, and then upon switching noticed
that query times had improoved over thier old solution.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> Actually what I thought was also good was
> http://www.netezza.com/media/2004/InformationWeek_021604.pdf
> which highlights a medical groups transition from IBM's Red Brick database to
> Netezza's PostgreSQL based solution for a 1.5 TB data warehouse.  It mentions
> that they initially hit a scaleability wall, and then upon switching noticed
> that query times had improoved over thier old solution.

Switching?  Switching what?

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:

>>>Anyone has this pdf? I need it, but could not find it in my hard drive ,
>>>and also in web site of netezza.
>>
>>HTML version from google's cache:
>>
>>http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Fr_E4Ohu6BIJ:www.netezza.com/news/medi
>>a/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf+META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf&hl=en&start=1
>>

> Heres a copy of the original.
> http://www.netezza.com/analystReports/2004/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf
>
> Actually what I thought was also good was
> http://www.netezza.com/media/2004/InformationWeek_021604.pdf
> which highlights a medical groups transition from IBM's Red Brick database to
> Netezza's PostgreSQL based solution for a 1.5 TB data warehouse.  It mentions
> that they initially hit a scaleability wall, and then upon switching noticed
> that query times had improoved over thier old solution.

Folks,

Please use this information carefully - recent versions of Netezza don't
have much to do with PostgreSQL anymore.
Their original product was BASED on PostgreSQL which does not
necessarily mean that it IS PostgreSQL.
In addition to that they seem to have changed a huge part of the storage
system in order to reduce space consumption (recall, there is not that
much need for concurrency in a warehouse).

    Regards,

        Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

Date:

Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
> Hans-Jurgen Schonig
> Robert Treat wrote:

> hard drive ,
> >>
> >>HTML version from google's cache:
> >>
> >>http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Fr_E4Ohu6BIJ:www.netezza.co
> m/news/medi
> >>a/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf+META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf&hl=en&start=1
> >>

> > Heres a copy of the original.
> > http://www.netezza.com/analystReports/2004/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf
> >
> > Actually what I thought was also good was
> > http://www.netezza.com/media/2004/InformationWeek_021604.pdf
> > which highlights a medical groups transition from IBM's Red
> Brick database to
> > Netezza's PostgreSQL based solution for a 1.5 TB data
> warehouse.  It mentions
> > that they initially hit a scaleability wall, and then upon
> switching noticed
> > that query times had improoved over thier old solution.
> >

> Folks,
>
> Please use this information carefully - recent versions of Netezza don't
> have much to do with PostgreSQL anymore.
> Their original product was BASED on PostgreSQL which does not
> necessarily mean that it IS PostgreSQL.

Agreed. Netezza isn't PostgreSQL anymore.

What Hans-Jurgen means: don't make too much of Netezza being a PostgreSQL
implementation - it isn't ANYMORE. That information doesn't itself need to
be treated carefully.

Good reference for ISVs/embedded market though.... not much use for end user
computing.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs