win32 binary downloads

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
The binary version of the win32 port is now being downloaded 2000
times/week average (up from 1000/week a month ago).  This is with no
press release and a well-hidden download page.

Someone should contact Noah and send him plans for another ark :)

Merlin

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 24 Jun 2004 at 9:54, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> The binary version of the win32 port is now being downloaded 2000
> times/week average (up from 1000/week a month ago).  This is with no
> press release and a well-hidden download page.
>
> Someone should contact Noah and send him plans for another ark :)

That's once very five minutes....
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
> times/week average (up from 1000/week a month ago).  This is with no
> press release and a well-hidden download page.

And where might that well-hidden download page be?  :)

Thanks,
--Josh

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 11:30, Joshua Kramer wrote:

> > times/week average (up from 1000/week a month ago).  This is with no
> > press release and a well-hidden download page.
>
> And where might that well-hidden download page be?  :)

google on "postgresql windows", click the first link, read down till you
hit binary snapshot link.

there is a theory that the internet will make old methods of advertising
obsolete...

Robert Treat
--
PGSQL-WIN32 :: If you build it, they will come.

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> The binary version of the win32 port is now being downloaded 2000
> times/week average (up from 1000/week a month ago).  This is with no
> press release and a well-hidden download page.

Do you have any stats on how many different IPs this is? Are we talking
about 1000 different people each week, or just one very enthusiastic tester.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > The binary version of the win32 port is now being downloaded 2000
> > times/week average (up from 1000/week a month ago).  This is with no
> > press release and a well-hidden download page.
>
> Do you have any stats on how many different IPs this is? Are we
talking
> about 1000 different people each week, or just one very enthusiastic
> tester.

I don't, but I refuse to believe that there are people that get a kick
out of downloading the same piece of software all day (the package is
updated nightly) :)

Merlin

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I don't, but I refuse to believe that there are people that get a kick
> out of downloading the same piece of software all day (the package is
> updated nightly) :)

True but it is more likely possible that it is only a couple of hundred
people downloading it and testing it.

> Merlin

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
On 24.06.2004 17:30 Joshua Kramer wrote:

> And where might that well-hidden download page be?  :)

Status of Win32 port: <http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/win32.html>

Download:
<http://www.hagander.net/pgsql/win32snap/>

Thomas

Re: win32 binary downloads

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>> The binary version of the win32 port is now being downloaded 2000
>> times/week average (up from 1000/week a month ago).  This is with no
>> press release and a well-hidden download page.
>
>Do you have any stats on how many different IPs this is? Are
>we talking
>about 1000 different people each week, or just one very
>enthusiastic tester.

For the past 2 1/2 weeks it has dropped back down to around 1600/week. I
have the following numbers:

3973 downloads in 17 days = 234 downloads/day
1806 unique IPs in 17 days = 106 unique IPs/day

Giving the ratio of 2.2 download/IP. I see a bunch of large ISP proxies
fairly high up on the list, so the truth is somewhere in between.

(log goes back only 17 days on this machine)

//Magnus