SCO embraces MySQL

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
[bcc to hackers, general]

A match made in heaven...

http://news.com.com/2110-7343_3-5236745.html

Re: SCO embraces MySQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Ned,

Actually, SCO has supported us for years.   They may even have contributed
patches.   Their attorneys may be evil incarnate, but their technicians are
friendly and skilled.

I notice the article doesn't mention that the last 6 versions of UnixWare have
included PostgreSQL ...

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: SCO embraces MySQL

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Yeah, I know.  But I guess there were two things that struck me in the article:

1) No mention of PostgreSQL, as you say
2) The GPL angle (see my other post about NuSphere), and the fact that they chose to distribute the GPL version of
MySQL,not strike a corporate deal with MySQL AB

Cheers,
NL

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Ned,
>
> Actually, SCO has supported us for years.   They may even have contributed
> patches.   Their attorneys may be evil incarnate, but their technicians are
> friendly and skilled.
>
> I notice the article doesn't mention that the last 6 versions of UnixWare have
> included PostgreSQL ...

Re: SCO embraces MySQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Ned,

> 1) No mention of PostgreSQL, as you say

According to Stephen, this is because the purpose of the article was to focus
on the irony of SCO using GPL software, after their attacks on the GPL.
We are not GPL.

> 2) The GPL angle (see my other post about NuSphere), and the fact that they
chose to distribute the GPL version of MySQL, not strike a corporate deal
with MySQL AB

Yeah, interesting.    Or, in a word, hypocrisy.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: SCO embraces MySQL

From
"Larry Rosenman"
Ned Lilly wrote:
> Yeah, I know.  But I guess there were two things that struck me in
> the article:
>
> 1) No mention of PostgreSQL, as you say
> 2) The GPL angle (see my other post about NuSphere), and the fact
> that they chose to distribute the GPL version of MySQL, not strike a
> corporate deal with MySQL AB
>
> Cheers,
> NL
>

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Ned,
>>
>> Actually, SCO has supported us for years.   They may even have
>> contributed patches.   Their attorneys may be evil incarnate, but
>> their technicians are friendly and skilled.
>>
>> I notice the article doesn't mention that the last 6 versions of
>> UnixWare have included PostgreSQL ...
>>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>       your joining column's datatypes do not match

JFYI, 7.4.2 is also now on UnixWare, in addition to whatever's been
On OpenServer.

I pushed for this, and there also will be at least one talk on PostgreSQL
and
Databases for UnixWare/OpenServer at Forum '2004 in Vegas (I'm helping
With this).

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good list of how PG compares with the
Biggies?

Thanks!

Re: [GENERAL] SCO embraces MySQL

From