PostgreSQL Performance Comparison

From
Robert Treat
Date:
This came across the wire yesterday, thought I would pass it along. It
compares PostgreSQL vs. a "Major Proprietary Database"

http://research.rem.nl/performance.html

Robert Treat

Re: PostgreSQL Performance Comparison

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> This came across the wire yesterday, thought I would pass it along. It
> compares PostgreSQL vs. a "Major Proprietary Database"
>
> http://research.rem.nl/performance.html

Are you (or anybody else) aware of any similar studies comparing pg to
SQL Server?  A study detailing not just performance but also reliability
and administrative advantages, as well as PHB type stuff such as TCO,
ROI, etc. would be nice.

On another note, it's a pretty safe bet for this site to expect a
takedown notice from the good folks at Oracle who have structured their
license agreements to prevent precisely this kind of study from getting
published.

Merlin

Re: PostgreSQL Performance Comparison

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Didn't somebody mentioned some time ago that there was a postgresql
benchtest suite that could be downloaded and anybody could use it
against other engines?

Merlin Moncure wrote:

>Robert Treat wrote:
>

>>This came across the wire yesterday, thought I would pass it along. It
>>compares PostgreSQL vs. a "Major Proprietary Database"
>>
>>http://research.rem.nl/performance.html
>>

>Are you (or anybody else) aware of any similar studies comparing pg to
>SQL Server?  A study detailing not just performance but also reliability
>and administrative advantages, as well as PHB type stuff such as TCO,
>ROI, etc. would be nice.
>
>On another note, it's a pretty safe bet for this site to expect a
>takedown notice from the good folks at Oracle who have structured their
>license agreements to prevent precisely this kind of study from getting
>published.
>
>Merlin

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: PostgreSQL Performance Comparison

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
> > This came across the wire yesterday, thought I would pass it along. It
> > compares PostgreSQL vs. a "Major Proprietary Database"
> >
> > http://research.rem.nl/performance.html
>
> Are you (or anybody else) aware of any similar studies comparing pg to
> SQL Server?  A study detailing not just performance but also reliability
> and administrative advantages, as well as PHB type stuff such as TCO,
> ROI, etc. would be nice.
>
> On another note, it's a pretty safe bet for this site to expect a
> takedown notice from the good folks at Oracle who have structured their
> license agreements to prevent precisely this kind of study from getting
> published.

Oracle?  Who mentioned Oracle?  :-)

but I would like to get a hold of a test cd of this fine database called
larry 8i.  sounds like a nice product, as long as it isn't too expensive.
:-)

Date:
Robert Bernier  wrote:
> Didn't somebody mentioned some time ago that there was a postgresql
> benchtest suite that could be downloaded and anybody could use it
> against other engines?

I'm sure there is, but performance is only one part of the puzzle.  In
fact, PostgreSQL is so fast and flexible it is relatively easy for me to
demonstrate that.  The issues which are not so easy to demonstrate are
reliability, administrative benefits, and quality of commercial support.

Right now I am trying to convince my boss to migrate our COBOL
accounting/factory management app off of an ISAM proprietary filesystem
unto PostgreSQL utilizing a hand-coded ISAM driver.  This is a big step
for us and my boss has serious (and legitimate) concerns about the
hidden costs and dangers of such a move.  By far, the biggest factor is
uptime and disaster recovery.  My pitch is for them to pick up a bronze
level contract support from PostgreSQL, Inc. (are there any testimonials
from psql.inc customers?)and see where that takes them.  This is more
than offset by the saved cost of the Oracle/MS SQL license and the
proprietary COBOL driver for those databases.

As the in house 'PostgreSQL guy', I'm fairly aware of these issues, but
I'm having a hard time convincing my boss (we are a Microsoft shop) that
open source is 'the way'.  Some reputable studies with a detailed
technical and cost analysis would be extremely helpful in this regard.

If and when we adopt PostgreSQL, I plan to write a detailed study about
the cost and benefits of using the database as a backend for COBOL apps.
From my point of view, as a former SQL programmer who had to take a
COBOL development position to get work, this is a fascinating and
exciting project.

Merlin

Re: PostgreSQL Performance Comparison

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
That's what I mean: a good benchtest suite would run a database by
simulating demands on it and generate statistics in a nice graphical
presentation.

regards

Robert