Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf Viren

From
Paul Smith

It seems I have touched a nerve :)

I would like to thank all the people that offered a positive suggestion, I have tried most
of the suggested solutions (and a few others) but I am not quite where I want to be. Hence
my original post. I do still have one or two things to try so I am still optimistic.

It is unfortunate that a few people considered my comments as non-constructive. Perhaps if
they were to do a few google searches they would find, instead of the answer they expect,
that many, many other people are in fact asking the same questions that I am. It is not that
7.5 will have a native win-32 build (though that is very interesting) it is simply that client server
systems need clients!

Even a cursory glance at the 'official' download pages shows that clients are *not* even
mentioned. This, I feel, is a serious handicap to anyone thinking seriously about moving
an existing project to Postgres. Perhaps you disagree, fine, I have no problem with that.
But I make the decisions concerning my projects with the information I have available.

I am not saying I will, or will not, use Postgres. Whether I do or not will make no difference to
your lives, I am simply informing the people that claim to advocate Postgres, that *I* have
a problem adapting it to *my* project, for the reasons *I* have stated. Whether you chose
to take them on board, or dismiss them as irrelevant, is entirely up to you.

Regards,

Paul Smith

Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

To be honest I don't agree with most of your assessment. PostgreSQL has
a ton of clients... here is a brief list:

Client GUI builders:

Microsft Access
Corel Paradox
TheKompany Rekall
Borland Delphi/Kylix
Micorosft .Net
KDevelop/QTDesigner

Client Reporting Tools:
Kivio
Crystal Reports
Plus several of the above

Clients for Server Management:

Psql
pgManage
pgAdmin
phpPGAdmin

Generic Protocols available:

ODBC
JDBC
.Net

Specific bindings available:

C/C++/C#
Java
Perl
Python
PHP
Ruby
ObjC
Pascal
Bash

Plus a bunch I can't even remember the name of.

Paul Smith wrote:

> It seems I have touched a nerve :)
>
> I would like to thank all the people that offered a positive suggestion,
> I have tried most
> of the suggested solutions (and a few others) but I am not quite where I
> want to be. Hence
> my original post. I do still have one or two things to try so I am still
> optimistic.
>
> It is unfortunate that a few people considered my comments as
> non-constructive. Perhaps if
> they were to do a few google searches they would find, instead of the
> answer they expect,
> that many, many other people are in fact asking the same questions that
> I am. It is not that
> 7.5 will have a native win-32 build (though that is very interesting) it
> is simply that client server
> systems need clients!
>
> Even a cursory glance at the 'official' download pages shows that
> clients are *not* even
> mentioned. This, I feel, is a serious handicap to anyone thinking
> seriously about moving
> an existing project to Postgres. Perhaps you disagree, fine, I have no
> problem with that.
> But I make the decisions concerning my projects with the information I
> have available.
>
> I am not saying I will, or will not, use Postgres. Whether I do or not
> will make no difference to
> your lives, I am simply informing the people that claim to advocate
> Postgres, that *I* have
> a problem adapting it to *my* project, for the reasons *I* have stated.
> Whether you chose
> to take them on board, or dismiss them as irrelevant, is entirely up to
> you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul Smith

Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 14:16, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To be honest I don't agree with most of your assessment. PostgreSQL has
> a ton of clients... here is a brief list:

Yes, they exist. But you certainly wouldn't know it from postgresql.org.

Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 14:16, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > To be honest I don't agree with most of your assessment. PostgreSQL has
> > a ton of clients... here is a brief list:
>
> Yes, they exist. But you certainly wouldn't know it from postgresql.org.

Want to create a software matrix for it?  List of software down the left
side, and version of PostgreSQL supported across the top?

It would be up to vendors to submit their software, and update for the
various versions, but at least it would give a central place for it ...

----