Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello,

To be honest I don't agree with most of your assessment. PostgreSQL has
a ton of clients... here is a brief list:

Client GUI builders:

Microsft Access
Corel Paradox
TheKompany Rekall
Borland Delphi/Kylix
Micorosft .Net
KDevelop/QTDesigner

Client Reporting Tools:
Kivio
Crystal Reports
Plus several of the above

Clients for Server Management:

Psql
pgManage
pgAdmin
phpPGAdmin

Generic Protocols available:

ODBC
JDBC
.Net

Specific bindings available:

C/C++/C#
Java
Perl
Python
PHP
Ruby
ObjC
Pascal
Bash

Plus a bunch I can't even remember the name of.

Paul Smith wrote:

> It seems I have touched a nerve :)
>
> I would like to thank all the people that offered a positive suggestion,
> I have tried most
> of the suggested solutions (and a few others) but I am not quite where I
> want to be. Hence
> my original post. I do still have one or two things to try so I am still
> optimistic.
>
> It is unfortunate that a few people considered my comments as
> non-constructive. Perhaps if
> they were to do a few google searches they would find, instead of the
> answer they expect,
> that many, many other people are in fact asking the same questions that
> I am. It is not that
> 7.5 will have a native win-32 build (though that is very interesting) it
> is simply that client server
> systems need clients!
>
> Even a cursory glance at the 'official' download pages shows that
> clients are *not* even
> mentioned. This, I feel, is a serious handicap to anyone thinking
> seriously about moving
> an existing project to Postgres. Perhaps you disagree, fine, I have no
> problem with that.
> But I make the decisions concerning my projects with the information I
> have available.
>
> I am not saying I will, or will not, use Postgres. Whether I do or not
> will make no difference to
> your lives, I am simply informing the people that claim to advocate
> Postgres, that *I* have
> a problem adapting it to *my* project, for the reasons *I* have stated.
> Whether you chose
> to take them on board, or dismiss them as irrelevant, is entirely up to
> you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul Smith

Attachment