firebird getting some press

From
Robert Treat
Date:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7010&mode=thread&order=0

Robert Treat
--
The enemy of my enemy is my friend - Sun Tzu

Re: firebird getting some press

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
People,

Anybody have tthe e-mail for a Firebird developer, so that we can remind them
about OSCON?   I'd like to see them there ....

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: firebird getting some press

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:41:32AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Anybody have tthe e-mail for a Firebird developer, so that we can remind them
> about OSCON?   I'd like to see them there ....

Ann Harrison posted from

Ann Harrison <aharrison@ibphoenix.com>

some time ago.

HTH,

"The eagle never lost so much time, as
when he submitted to learn of the crow." (William Blake)

Re: firebird getting some press

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: firebird getting some press

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> (By the way, Mozilla has finally dropped the Firebird name. As
> Tom Lane once said, at lease that's one problem we will never have
> to worry about! :)

Damn.  You mean I gotta change my desktop icons?  What are they calling it?

> This one is just a testament to the um..fervor of the Firebird
> folks. Some of them seem truly fanatical in the online discussion
> forums I've seen. They know how to flood online polls as well. :)

Well, the project has needed a shot in the arm for the previous year.   Good
for them.

> This variation could lead to some problems
> when one developer leaves and other joins the project. Using a
> standard stored procedure language, however, avoids this problem."

Yeah.  I laughed at this one.  Talk about turning a bug into a feature!

> The article goes out of its way to compare and contrast against
> whichever database product (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, etc.) makes
> it sound the best at that moment.

Hey, they'll calm down once they no longer feel that they have to prove their
right to exist.   I'll bet that Ann answers the question "WIth MySQL and
PostgreSQL, why do we need you?" at *least* twice a week.  And you can bet
that they're not looking forward to our Windows version.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions