Re: firebird getting some press - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: firebird getting some press
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Greg,

> (By the way, Mozilla has finally dropped the Firebird name. As
> Tom Lane once said, at lease that's one problem we will never have
> to worry about! :)

Damn.  You mean I gotta change my desktop icons?  What are they calling it?

> This one is just a testament to the um..fervor of the Firebird
> folks. Some of them seem truly fanatical in the online discussion
> forums I've seen. They know how to flood online polls as well. :)

Well, the project has needed a shot in the arm for the previous year.   Good
for them.

> This variation could lead to some problems
> when one developer leaves and other joins the project. Using a
> standard stored procedure language, however, avoids this problem."

Yeah.  I laughed at this one.  Talk about turning a bug into a feature!

> The article goes out of its way to compare and contrast against
> whichever database product (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, etc.) makes
> it sound the best at that moment.

Hey, they'll calm down once they no longer feel that they have to prove their
right to exist.   I'll bet that Ann answers the question "WIth MySQL and
PostgreSQL, why do we need you?" at *least* twice a week.  And you can bet
that they're not looking forward to our Windows version.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions