From
elein
Date:
This is where I think we are so far with regards
to OSCON2004.  If I've got something wrong or
too vague, please contact me.

We need more speakers as opposed to tutorial presenters.
We need verification on a few of the tutorial
subjects and lengths.

There are a few subject overlaps and I'm trying
to get more details and let the various people
work out the overlaps.

I will provide updates to this list
as new information becomes available.

--elein

===================================
This information is also on my wiki:
    http://cookie.varlena.com/BlueSky/OsCon2004
    htaccess: (varlena/varlena)
    wiki user: (varlena)
===================================
OSCON 2004

Contacts

    * PostgreSQL: Elein, Josh Berkus
    * OReilly Contact: chromatic

Off site get together

    * Joshua Drake @ Command Prompt

Swag

    * T-Shirts For Pg Conference goers: Greg Sabino Mullane
    * Other Swag TBD

Financing Speakers

    * Josh Berkus -- Might be some money available

Booth

    * Josh Berkus -- possibly money for this
    * Elein -- scheduling

General Speaker

    * Set up: Josh/Elein
    * State of PostgreSQL -- Bruce Momjian: Adoptions and Trends

BOF

    * Schedule -- elein

Tutorials

    * Joe Conway -- (?? day) Extending PostgreSQL with C?
    * Andrew Sullivan -- (1/2 day?) Erserver Replication
    * Elein -- TBD
    * Gavin Roy -- (1/2 day) Intro to PostgreSQL
    * Robert Bernier -- (1/2 day) Datamining email/Perl (and PostgreSQL??)
    * Greg Sabino Mullane -- (1/2 day) how to use the database to help your DBA and application writers get along with
otherby good use of "advanced" database features
    * George Essig -- (1/2?? day) tsearch2
    * Gavin Sherry -- (1/2 day??) Advanced Features and 7.4 Enhancements
    * Josh Berkus -- (1/2 day??) Php and PostgreSQL

Talks

    * Joe Conway -- 7.4 enhancements Conflict with Gavin Sherry ?
    * Elein -- ORDBMS Concepts in PostgreSQL
    * We need more speakers for talks!

Topics Looking for Speakers

    * PostgreSQL on Windows
    * PostgreSQL Setup/Administration
    * Performance/Optimization
    * PostGIS
    * Datawarehousing
    * Server Side Programming languages: plpgsql, plpythonu, plperl, pltcl, plphp

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Elein,

From the look of things, we have too many tutorials and not enough
presentations.   I am willing to give up my tutorial and do a total of 2-3
presentations instead.

Suggestions on what I could do?     Here's my ideas, but I'm adaptable:

"The 50-minute Crash Course in PostgreSQL System Tuning"
"Database Dependance as a Design Strategy"
"Indexing Strategies for PostgreSQL Databases"
"A Grand Tour of PostgreSQL Modules and Supplimentary Software"

Some of these, I think, overlap with some of the tutorials; I would be happy
to do any of them, though.

--Josh

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

From
elein
Date:
To leverage on your writing and experience,
the crash course in pg system tuning would be
an excellent choice for you.

Plan to have handouts of your annotated postgresql.conf
and performance papers.

For a second talk, I would suggest going with indexing
strategies.

I'll sign you up. :-)

--elein

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:15:24AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein,
>
> >From the look of things, we have too many tutorials and not enough
> presentations.   I am willing to give up my tutorial and do a total of 2-3
> presentations instead.
>
> Suggestions on what I could do?     Here's my ideas, but I'm adaptable:
>
> "The 50-minute Crash Course in PostgreSQL System Tuning"
> "Database Dependance as a Design Strategy"
> "Indexing Strategies for PostgreSQL Databases"
> "A Grand Tour of PostgreSQL Modules and Supplimentary Software"
>
> Some of these, I think, overlap with some of the tutorials; I would be happy
> to do any of them, though.
>
> --Josh

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 14:15, Josh Berkus wrote:
> "A Grand Tour of PostgreSQL Modules and Supplimentary Software"

I'm currently putting some thoughts together on a proposal very similar
to this idea, so I guess put me down for this.

Robert Treat

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I'm currently putting some thoughts together on a proposal very similar
> to this idea, so I guess put me down for this.

Hey!   You'll leave me with nothing to present!  ;-)

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Oh, and can somebody remind me if there's a difference between presentations &
tutorials in terms of comps?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:37:11PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Oh, and can somebody remind me if there's a difference between presentations &
> tutorials in terms of comps?

According to the conference site, tutorials are offered an
honorarium and one night's accommodation, whereas presentations get
only the conference registration.

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andrew,

> According to the conference site, tutorials are offered an
> honorarium and one night's accommodation, whereas presentations get
> only the conference registration.

I see why everyone wantsto do a tutorial then.   Sounds like you get paid
about $600 for a tutorial, which certainly makes attending the conference a
lot cheaper.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:29:25PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I see why everyone wantsto do a tutorial then.   Sounds like you get paid
> about $600 for a tutorial, which certainly makes attending the conference a
> lot cheaper.

I can't speak for others, but the only reason I want to do the
tutorial on living with the replication stuff is that there is easily
enough material to cover.  I could certainly cover less and do it
that way; do people prefer that?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
My friend, you can put wheels on your mama but that doesn't make her a bus.
                --Joel Spolsky

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

From
George Essig
Date:
> Andrew,
>
>> According to the conference site, tutorials are offered an
>> honorarium and one night's accommodation, whereas presentations get
>> only the conference registration.
>
>I see why everyone wantsto do a tutorial then.   Sounds like you get paid
>about $600 for a tutorial, which certainly makes attending the conference a
>lot cheaper.
>
>--
>-Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

I want to give a 45 minute presentation on tsearch2 not a 1/2 day tutorial.  Due to scheduling,
most talks will be 45 minutes not 1/2 day.  Last year at OSCON, there were 6 PostgreSQL
presentations (45 min.) and only 2 PostgreSQL tutorials (1/2 day).

George Essig

Re: Status: Organizing the OSCON presence (resend w/subject)

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:37:11PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Oh, and can somebody remind me if there's a difference between presentations &
> > tutorials in terms of comps?
>
> According to the conference site, tutorials are offered an
> honorarium and one night's accommodation, whereas presentations get
> only the conference registration.

They used to pay for flights for tutorials too.  Has that changed?