New PostgreSQL search resource

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

Took an hour today and made the 7.3.4, 7.4.1 and Practical PostgreSQL
documentation
all searchable using OpenFTS and Tsearch2. You can take a look at:

http://www.commandprompt.com/community/

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

Re: [GENERAL] New PostgreSQL search resource

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

http://www.commandprompt.com/community/
I'd appreciate if you mention somewhere OpenFTS utilization, so people
could recognize it. But I'm not insisting ;)
Full intent to do so... want to get it finished up first. :)

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

Regards,	Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [GENERAL] New PostgreSQL search resource

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Took an hour today and made the 7.3.4, 7.4.1 and Practical PostgreSQL
> documentation
> all searchable using OpenFTS and Tsearch2. You can take a look at:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/community/

I'd appreciate if you mention somewhere OpenFTS utilization, so people
could recognize it. But I'm not insisting ;)

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua Drake

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: New PostgreSQL search resource

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
Is it possible to institute phrase searching with that system?

I.e.:

"create unique index"

"select distinct"

etc...

???

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Took an hour today and made the 7.3.4, 7.4.1 and Practical PostgreSQL
> documentation
> all searchable using OpenFTS and Tsearch2. You can take a look at:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/community/
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua Drake

Re: New PostgreSQL search resource

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Scott,

> "create unique index"
>
> "select distinct"

I believe that one does this by adding to the word root dictionary and
rebuilding the index.   The problem is that then anything indexed as "select
distinct" shows up under searches for "select distinct" but not for
"distinct".

Try searching on SELECT & DISTINCT

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
scott.marlowe wrote:

>Is it possible to institute phrase searching with that system?

It seems to work fine???

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to institute phrase searching with that system?
> >

> It seems to work fine???
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Not really.  with htdig, I can do "select distinct" on the 7.3 docs and I
get exactly 7 responses back, and they all have select followed
immediately by distinct, with only space, CR / LF etc in between.

And the & symbol josh recommended shows as being ignored, so that didn't
work either.

Word combos like "bulk loads" or "run-time configuration" are quite handy
filters.

Date:
>Not really.  with htdig, I can do "select distinct" on the 7.3 docs and I
>get exactly 7 responses back, and they all have select followed
>immediately by distinct, with only space, CR / LF etc in between.

Well, if you search for select distinct... OpenFTS automatically searches
for select & distinct. My search returned:

5 results with the first one being this:

http://www.commandprompt.com/community//search.lxp?lxpwrap=734/queries-select-lists.html

Which seems fairly accurate ;). Perhaps a better description of what the
problem actually is or
the behavior you are expecting?

SIncerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>And the & symbol josh recommended shows as being ignored, so that didn't
>work either.
>
>Word combos like "bulk loads" or "run-time configuration" are quite handy
>filters.

Re: New PostgreSQL search resource

From
Jussi Mikkola
Date:
I think most of the people use http://www.postgresql.org/search.cgi

Default settings, search for select distinct returns in about 10
minutes, with "You haven't typed any word(s) to search for."

Same query with match full phrase... (I did not wait long enough. But
several minutes in any case. Don't know about the result.)

Same query with match full phrase and 7.4 documentation. 2 results in 5
seconds. Results are select into and pg_select.

Could we do something to this search? (Change the defaults, divide it to
smaller parts, use different search engine...)

Rgs,

Jussi

Date:
Jussi Mikkola wrote:

> I think most of the people use http://www.postgresql.org/search.cgi

Yep... Supposedly it is being worked on to make it faster.

Date:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Well, if you search for select distinct... OpenFTS automatically searches
> for select & distinct. My search returned:
>
> 5 results with the first one being this:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/community//search.lxp?lxpwrap=734/queries-select-lists.html
>
> Which seems fairly accurate ;). Perhaps a better description of what the
> problem actually is or
> the behavior you are expecting?

Yes, phrase searching generally means you enter an exact string of words,
in a particular order, and it searches on those strings in that order.

this comes in handy when looking for strings where the words together mean
one thing, and apart may mean something else, like

set transaction isolation level

Many of those words appear throughout the docs, and may well all appear on
the same page but not be tied together with each other on each page.

If we do a phrase search we only see the places where those words are
together.  Individual word searching gives me 11 results in htdig, whereas
the phrase gives me 3 hits, the second of which is obviously the correct
one (the first is release notes for 6.5...  hmmm.)  With the 11 results,
moves it down to number 7.

This is especially useful when you can search on a couple of small phrases
that might go together.  Anyway, it's no big deal, just wondering if it
supported phrase searching.