Website and "open development"

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi!

Lots of wonderful things were said in the list concerning how PostgreSQL
development is wonderfully open.

I want to ask a question: why PostgreSQL website development is so *closed*?

1) There is no public maillist (I presume) for discussion of website matters.
2) If there are actually people who are responsible for the websites (I am
starting to doubt) why don't they respond to suggestions in the public maillists?
3) Where is the CVS repository with websites code? Is there even one?
4) Why there is no single look and feel of community websites and why is
information sometimes duplicated?

There is a talk now about doing marketing materials. Excuse me, but the goal of
these materials is to lure people to the website. And the website in its current
state will frighten them to death.

Re: Website and "open development"

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Well, I guess I ought to respond to this.  Of course a little bit of searching
the archives would have given you these answers, but it's ok, it's not like I
have anything else to do.  (Whats that? Weekly News? Huh?)

On Monday 12 January 2004 03:44, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> 1) There is no public maillist (I presume) for discussion of website
> matters.

pgsql-www is the list, archives available on the archive website.
(archives.postgresql.org)

 2) If there are actually people who are responsible for the
> websites (I am starting to doubt) why don't they respond to suggestions in
> the public maillists?

Most of us are so busy that we barely have time to work on the website itself.
much less follow all of the mailing lists and give personal responses to
every suggestion that is made. (I'll admit that this is unfortunate, but just
wishing it weren't so doesn't actually make the problem go away).

3) Where is the CVS repository with websites code? Is
> there even one?

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/cvs/cvs.php

it contains the code for the main www page and the advocacy page, and has some
outdated code for techdocs that I am looking to get brought back into line
with the server code now that we've switched VM's.  It also has the
unfinished code for adding multilingual capabilities to the main site, which
is the current feature most halting further development.

4) Why there is no single look and feel of community
> websites and why is information sometimes duplicated?

Because the previous list of maintainers all had seperate agendas and didn't
work as a team when building the individual sites.   I've worked to try to
bring all of the sites under at least one umbrella of support, and once we
get past the multilingual tech for www, I think you'll see even more tangible
results.

> There is a talk now about doing marketing materials. Excuse me, but the
> goal of these materials is to lure people to the website. And the website
> in its current state will frighten them to death.

Well, you're more clued in now, if you're willing to roll up your sleeves take
a look at the www and portal modules of CV and send an email to the web
mailing list.

Robert Treat

Re: Website and "open development"

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi!

Robert Treat wrote:
> Well, I guess I ought to respond to this.  Of course a little bit of searching
> the archives would have given you these answers, but it's ok, it's not like I
> have anything else to do.  (Whats that? Weekly News? Huh?)

Well, thanks for the response. But consider: if this was published on
the website in an easily accessible way...

>>1) There is no public maillist (I presume) for discussion of website
>>matters.
>
> pgsql-www is the list, archives available on the archive website.
> (archives.postgresql.org)

This is Yet Another list that is not mentioned on Mailing Lists page at
all...

>  2) If there are actually people who are responsible for the
>>websites (I am starting to doubt) why don't they respond to suggestions in
>>the public maillists?
>
> Most of us are so busy that we barely have time to work on the website itself.
> much less follow all of the mailing lists and give personal responses to
> every suggestion that is made. (I'll admit that this is unfortunate, but just
> wishing it weren't so doesn't actually make the problem go away).

A good idea would be to mention this somewhere, so that people willing
to help are able to find this info without asking again.

>>There is a talk now about doing marketing materials. Excuse me, but the
>>goal of these materials is to lure people to the website. And the website
>>in its current state will frighten them to death.
>
> Well, you're more clued in now, if you're willing to roll up your sleeves take
> a look at the www and portal modules of CV and send an email to the web
> mailing list.

Yes, thanks for the info. I had a look on the website code and must
admit that it looks messy...

I'll try implementing the usability improvements I suggested and then
announce the results on pgsql-www. If the reaction is positive, I'll
create patches.

Re: Website and "open development"

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> pgsql-www is the list, archives available on the archive website.
> (archives.postgresql.org)

But the list itself is not open.

Date:
On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 14:52, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > pgsql-www is the list, archives available on the archive website.
> > (archives.postgresql.org)
>
> But the list itself is not open.

IIRC subscribers have to be approved, but I haven't heard of anyone
being denied entrance to the list. It's certainly more open now than it
used to be. If you want to lobby for it to be more open I'm sure people
would listen to your arguments.

Robert Treat

Re: Website and "open development"

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 14:52, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> > > pgsql-www is the list, archives available on the archive website.
> > > (archives.postgresql.org)
> >
> > But the list itself is not open.
> >

> IIRC subscribers have to be approved, but I haven't heard of anyone
> being denied entrance to the list. It's certainly more open now than it
> used to be. If you want to lobby for it to be more open I'm sure people
> would listen to your arguments.

Thta was my understanding as well ... (re: approved) ... and I believe
Dave is doing that as ppl try to subscribe ...

----

Re: Website and "open development"

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> IIRC subscribers have to be approved

What is the justification for this policy?

-Neil

Re: Website and "open development"

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Website and "open development"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Neil,

> What is the justification for this policy?

As I recall, because the WWW team wants to stay narrowly focused on WWW
development without tangental discussions (seriously).   Also because many
things regarding the stucture of the site and hosting, which could give an
attacker useful information, are discussed there.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> As I recall, because the WWW team wants to stay narrowly focused on
> WWW development without tangental discussions (seriously).   Also
> because many things regarding the stucture of the site and hosting,
> which could give an attacker useful information, are discussed there.

Hence the public archives.

Date:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Neil,
>
> > What is the justification for this policy?
>
> As I recall, because the WWW team wants to stay narrowly focused on WWW
> development without tangental discussions (seriously).   Also because many
> things regarding the stucture of the site and hosting, which could give an
> attacker useful information, are discussed there.

Actually, the last part isn't true ... pgsql-www is up on archives and
viewable in its entirety by the public ... but the first is the key reason
... its a *very* low traffic list focused entirely on development of the
web sites, and, as such, has little to no tangents from that subject ...

----

Re: Website and "open development"

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi!

Josh Berkus wrote:
>>What is the justification for this policy?
>

> As I recall, because the WWW team wants to stay narrowly focused on WWW
> development without tangental discussions (seriously).   Also because many
> things regarding the stucture of the site and hosting, which could give an
> attacker useful information, are discussed there.

Sounds like lame excuses to me.

1) There was a wonderfully enlightening discussion why open development is
perfect for advocacy in this list recently.
2) The list has PUBLIC ARCHIVES, for Gods' sake!

Re: Website and "open development"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Alexey,

> 1) There was a wonderfully enlightening discussion why open development is
> perfect for advocacy in this list recently.

... which was not, as I recall, concluded with any consensus.

And open development != unmoderated subscription mailing lists

Can I point out that for that matter, the SFPUG mailing list is
closed-subscription?   I did that because of spammers joining the list, and
because of the number of people not being clear on where San Francisco is
(really, I've had people from Taiwan try to join and re-directed them to
-Novice).

The closed-subscription would only be significant if Dave wasn't letting
people join.  He is.   If you want to be involved, send him an e-mail and a
subscription request.

If you're really upset about it and can show that you are willing to put in
the work, then you can take over administration of the list and relieve Dave
of that duty, and open the list subscription option.   Ultimately, that's
what it comes down to: Dave is the list admin, and he's set the list
subscription to "moderated", and he has the "right" to do so since he's doing
the work.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions