Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From
"D. Dante Lorenso"
Date:
> When I started with PostgreSQL and MySQL, MySQL was far easier
> to use

I started with MySQL and it WAS easier to use.  It was easier because
the manual essentially reads:

   -- we didn't implement anything complicated that's why
   -- we are fast.

The only SQL customizations that MySQL has that I really miss in PostgreSQL
are the commands:

    SHOW DATABASES;
    SHOW TABLES;
    DESC table;

That was ubber simple to do in MySQL.  To this day, I have trouble with
that in PostgreSQL.  I'm constantly doing:

    psql> \?
    psql> help;
    ERROR:  syntax error at or near "help" at character 1
    psql> \h
    * damnit, that's not it...*
    psql> \?
    psql> \d
    * ok, now which flag do I use for tables vs functions..etc?*

I finally figure it out, I just end up forgetting again later.  I still
have no clue how I'd find the same data without using psql.  In MySQL
I can run those queries from PHP, PERL...etc.  I know you can find that
data in system tables in PostgreSQL, but I don't wanna muck around with
all that.  I just wanna do something as simple as MySQL.

Course, with that said...  I've been building ALL my database apps with
PostgreSQL because it just simply works even if it doesn't always work
simple-ly.

As a plug, though ... I'm hooked on EMS PostgreSQL Manager 2.0.  I'd have
to say that I'd not be as much of a PostgreSQL supporter if it weren't for
this client tool.  I think EMS did the 'making it friendly to the developer'
that was sorely lacking in stock PostgreSQL client tools.  Kudos.

Dante

----------
D. Dante Lorenso
dante@lorenso.com

Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From
"John Sidney-Woollett"
Date:
>As a plug, though ... I'm hooked on EMS PostgreSQL Manager 2.0.  I'd have
>to say that I'd not be as much of a PostgreSQL supporter if it weren't for
>this client tool.  I think EMS did the 'making it friendly to the
>developer'
>that was sorely lacking in stock PostgreSQL client tools.  Kudos.

This is a good point.

Postgres the db is great. psql is fine but you have to know it well to get
the most out of it, and you need to know which views and tables to query
to make "sense" of your database (when you're away from your DB data
models etc).

For the newbie (myself included) this can be daunting and hard. Coupled
with 'light' documentation, this presents a learning curve which is
significant if you've never used an enterprise level db before, and you're
floundering around with the difference between databases, schemas and
users (etc).

I have found pgAdmin III to be an absolute godsend - this product is
brilliant. With it, I can see all databases, schemas, objects, and grants
quickly and clearly. This one tool turned postgres into an absolute joy to
use (in much the same way that TOAD makes Oracle a joy to use).

I reckon that I use psql and pgAdmin III in equal proportion, but for me
it's pgAdmin III that makes postgres compelling and blindingly good.

John Sidney-Woollett

Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Dimanche 28 Décembre 2003 06:45, D. Dante Lorenso a écrit :
> As a plug, though ... I'm hooked on EMS PostgreSQL Manager 2.0.  I'd have
> to say that I'd not be as much of a PostgreSQL supporter if it weren't for
> this client tool.  I think EMS did the 'making it friendly to the
> developer' that was sorely lacking in stock PostgreSQL client tools.
>  Kudos.

You can also have a look at pgAdmin visiting http://www.pgadmin.org.
Best regards, Jean-Michel

Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From
Dino Nardini
Date:
I recommend EMS PostgreSQL Manager as well.  When I decided to migrate my
databases away from MS SQL Server, I narrowed my alternatives to MySQL or
PostgreSQL.  I was leaning towards PostgreSQL because it was obviously more
robust and feature-rich, however MySQL has far more third-party tool
support (and a pretty slick marketing effort).  It was the EMS products
that decided for me.  I used their PG DataPump to migrate the databases,
which saved me countless days of work.  And I use their PG Manager product
for development.  For the record, I also use pgAdmin III.  Both tools have
their strengths.  I particularly like the visual database designer feature
that EMS added to version 2.

My 2 cents... :)