Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From D. Dante Lorenso
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
List pgsql-general
> When I started with PostgreSQL and MySQL, MySQL was far easier
> to use

I started with MySQL and it WAS easier to use.  It was easier because
the manual essentially reads:

   -- we didn't implement anything complicated that's why
   -- we are fast.

The only SQL customizations that MySQL has that I really miss in PostgreSQL
are the commands:

    SHOW DATABASES;
    SHOW TABLES;
    DESC table;

That was ubber simple to do in MySQL.  To this day, I have trouble with
that in PostgreSQL.  I'm constantly doing:

    psql> \?
    psql> help;
    ERROR:  syntax error at or near "help" at character 1
    psql> \h
    * damnit, that's not it...*
    psql> \?
    psql> \d
    * ok, now which flag do I use for tables vs functions..etc?*

I finally figure it out, I just end up forgetting again later.  I still
have no clue how I'd find the same data without using psql.  In MySQL
I can run those queries from PHP, PERL...etc.  I know you can find that
data in system tables in PostgreSQL, but I don't wanna muck around with
all that.  I just wanna do something as simple as MySQL.

Course, with that said...  I've been building ALL my database apps with
PostgreSQL because it just simply works even if it doesn't always work
simple-ly.

As a plug, though ... I'm hooked on EMS PostgreSQL Manager 2.0.  I'd have
to say that I'd not be as much of a PostgreSQL supporter if it weren't for
this client tool.  I think EMS did the 'making it friendly to the developer'
that was sorely lacking in stock PostgreSQL client tools.  Kudos.

Dante

D. Dante Lorenso
dante@lorenso.com