Nice E-Week article

Date:
Did everyone see this:

Not sure why they think we are based in New York, except SRA has an New
York City office.  Strange.

Re: Nice E-Week article

From
Francois Suter
Date:
> Not sure why they think we are based in New York, except SRA has an New
> York City office.  Strange.

After a *lengthy* discussion, it was decided to put New York, New York
as a location at the top of the press release.

Cheers.

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Re: Nice E-Week article

Date:
Francois Suter wrote:
> > Not sure why they think we are based in New York, except SRA has an New
> > York City office.  Strange.
>
> After a *lengthy* discussion, it was decided to put New York, New York
> as a location at the top of the press release.

What?  I see that now:

    NEW YORK, NEW YORK: NOVEMBER 17, 2003

We don't have anyone in New York.  Should we choose random places we
have developers, or just put "The Internet" as a location?  :-)

Re: Nice E-Week article

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

>     http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1391237,00.asp

ALL RIGHT!   I can't tell you how excited I am to finally see an article
favorably comparing us to SQL Server and Oracle, and not that darned database
beginning with M.

Really good quotes.  Must thank Brian again.

> Not sure why they think we are based in New York, except SRA has an New
> York City office.  Strange.

After about 2 months of discussion about the release dateline location (one is
required) we decided on New York, New York, which Heather, Afilias' PR
person, said is often used by Internet companies with no fixed abode.

One original suggestion was Panama City, Panama where our servers are located,
but this was widely put down as a bad idea.

Maybe next time we'll use Pittsburg or Philadelphia as the geographic center
of the Core team.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Nice E-Week article

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> We don't have anyone in New York.  Should we choose random places we
> have developers, or just put "The Internet" as a location?  :-)

We can't use "the internet", reporters will make up a location if they don't
get one.   Last time we allowed that, we got put in Nova Scotia with
PostgreSQL Inc. which caused no end of confusion.

Beyond that, Bruce, there were about 150 postings on this list on the topic.
Dig through the archives ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Nice E-Week article

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> >     http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1391237,00.asp
>
> ALL RIGHT!   I can't tell you how excited I am to finally see an article
> favorably comparing us to SQL Server and Oracle, and not that darned database
> beginning with M.
>
> Really good quotes.  Must thank Brian again.

Hey, I said some of those quotes too.  :-)

Strange things is I found the aricle only because it was linked to by
the South African article that was mentioned in an earlier email.

> > Not sure why they think we are based in New York, except SRA has an New
> > York City office.  Strange.
>
> After about 2 months of discussion about the release dateline location (one is
> required) we decided on New York, New York, which Heather, Afilias' PR
> person, said is often used by Internet companies with no fixed abode.

Oh, good plan then.

> One original suggestion was Panama City, Panama where our servers are located,
> but this was widely put down as a bad idea.
>
> Maybe next time we'll use Pittsburg or Philadelphia as the geographic center
> of the Core team.

We do have two in Philadelphia.  I was thinking more randomly, and to
pick really obscure locations for our developers, but New York is
probably the best bet then.  :-)

Re: Nice E-Week article

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > We don't have anyone in New York.  Should we choose random places we
> > have developers, or just put "The Internet" as a location?  :-)
>
> We can't use "the internet", reporters will make up a location if they don't
> get one.   Last time we allowed that, we got put in Nova Scotia with
> PostgreSQL Inc. which caused no end of confusion.
>
> Beyond that, Bruce, there were about 150 postings on this list on the topic.
> Dig through the archives ....

I tried to stay away from it because there were already enough people
involved --- New York City is just fine with me.  In fact, I was only
concerned because they might have gotten SRA America confused with
PostgreSQL, and I certainly didn't want that.

Re: Nice E-Week article

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> I tried to stay away from it because there were already enough people
> involved --- New York City is just fine with me.  In fact, I was only
> concerned because they might have gotten SRA America confused with
> PostgreSQL, and I certainly didn't want that.

Mmmm .... good point.  Frankly, I didn't even know that SRA had an office in
NY; I thought *you* were the SRA office.

I don't think confusion with SRA is as much danger in the English-speaking
press because a) it's a Japanese company, and b) the name doesn't contain the
word "postgresql".   I'll bet, however, that before the end of this press run
at least one reporter will think that we're owned by Red Hat.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Nice E-Week article

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Did the "English" Press Release go out stating New York? :)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Did everyone see this:
>
>     http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1391237,00.asp
>
> Not sure why they think we are based in New York, except SRA has an New
> York City office.  Strange.

----

Re: Nice E-Week article

From