Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the near future???

From
Christoper Smiga
All:

Does anyone know if there is going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the
near future. What is the decission to develop on this platform since Sun
is pushing Solaris x86 harder than ever.

--
Christopher Smiga
System Engineer (Sun SCSA)

Re: Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Christopher,

Personally, I haven't tested it on Solaris 9 INTEL yet (Sun took some
decent time in getting the Sol9 x86 kit to me, and I'm busy developing
OpenOffice training for now).

I'd be very surprised if PostgreSQL doesn't work on Solaris x86, as it
*used* to work on Solaris x86 from versions 2.6 -> 8.

This is the guide I wrote for compiling it on Solaris 8:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2/Guides/Installation%20Guides/Compiling%20PostgreSQL%207.3.2%20on%20Solaris%208%209/view

That may be useful for you.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Christoper Smiga wrote:
> All:
>
> Does anyone know if there is going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the
> near future. What is the decission to develop on this platform since Sun
> is pushing Solaris x86 harder than ever.

Re: Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86

From
Christoper Smiga
Date:
Mucho Thanks!

Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> Personally, I haven't tested it on Solaris 9 INTEL yet (Sun took some
> decent time in getting the Sol9 x86 kit to me, and I'm busy developing
> OpenOffice training for now).
>
> I'd be very surprised if PostgreSQL doesn't work on Solaris x86, as it
> *used* to work on Solaris x86 from versions 2.6 -> 8.
>
> This is the guide I wrote for compiling it on Solaris 8:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2/Guides/Installation%20Guides/Compiling%20PostgreSQL%207.3.2%20on%20Solaris%208%209/view

> That may be useful for you.
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> Christoper Smiga wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in
>> the near future. What is the decission to develop on this platform
>> since Sun is pushing Solaris x86 harder than ever.

Re: Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86

From
William Yu
Date:
I have used Postgres on Solaris x86 7, 8 and 9. Haven't tested Solaris
10 but it probably would work. In fact, I've tarballed /usr/local
directories from Sol7, moved then to Sol8/9 machines and the software
worked without recompilation.