Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Dave Page writes:

> Least interesting to many user perhaps, but lost of them seen to think
> that it's important for expanding our userbase:
> http://www.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=9

That survey is a bit like asking television viewers, "What do you think
would attract the most new television viewers?"

33% -- better entertainment

That does not say that better entertainment will attract new viewers, just
that the existing viewers think that.  Most nonviewers might in fact be
perfectly content with their way of living.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: [HACKERS] Win32 Port WAS: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

Well, based on the feedback we're getting from the 7.4 release, the #1 issue
for non-postgresql users who are interested enough to post to message boards
is "Where is the Windows Port?"   This gets mentioned roughly 10 times as
often as any other potential feature.

So the Windows port is a mostly question of what matters to people who
*aren't* using PostgreSQL currently, assuming we want our community to grow
(and I think we do, since communities which don't grow die).    For many if
not most of our current users it doesn't matter as much, becuase if it did
they wouldn't be using PostgreSQL.

But it affects current users too.   I had to pass on two potential contracts
in 2003 because the use of Windows servers was stipulated.   The second of
these I was really put out about since it was a scheduling application,
something that both I and PostgreSQL excel at were it not on Windows.   You
probably aren't faced with this issue as much in Germany, but it happens
often to us folks in the US & Canada.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [HACKERS] Win32 Port WAS: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:24:25AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Well, based on the feedback we're getting from the 7.4 release, the #1 issue
> for non-postgresql users who are interested enough to post to message boards
> is "Where is the Windows Port?"   This gets mentioned roughly 10 times as

This is also, by the way, a reason not to say, "_X_ is planned for
the next release," unless there is acutal working code kicking
around.  Lots of people saw the remarks (I am among the guilty for
repeating it, I think) that a Windows port seemed to be planned for
7.4.  So some of us were guilty of flogging vapourware, I'm afraid.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: [HACKERS] Win32 Port WAS: Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Date:
Hi

> You
> probably aren't faced with this issue as much in Germany, but it
happens
> often to us folks in the US & Canada.

About half of the mails that I get are Cygwin-Windows related. So I
consider it of great interest in Germany.

Regards
Conni