advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to price/licensing

From
Francois Suter
Date:
Hi all,

The question I have to answer the most frequently is about the
licensing and pricing policy of PostgreSQL. So although this is what
the "Advantages" page starts with on advocacy.postgresql.org, it seems
to be insufficient. Maybe it would be a good idea to create a separate
page, that would include a short explanation of the BSD license and
what it implies in terms of cost and redistribution policy.

Does the problem sound familiar to other "advocates"?

Cheers

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to price/licensing

Date:
We have a "license" link right on the main page.  Is that unclear?

Francois Suter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The question I have to answer the most frequently is about the
> licensing and pricing policy of PostgreSQL. So although this is what
> the "Advantages" page starts with on advocacy.postgresql.org, it seems
> to be insufficient. Maybe it would be a good idea to create a separate
> page, that would include a short explanation of the BSD license and
> what it implies in terms of cost and redistribution policy.
>
> Does the problem sound familiar to other "advocates"?
>
> Cheers
>
> ---------------
> Francois
>
> Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
>
> "Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to price/licensing

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Francois,

> > The question I have to answer the most frequently is about the
> > licensing and pricing policy of PostgreSQL. So although this is what
> > the "Advantages" page starts with on advocacy.postgresql.org, it seems
> > to be insufficient. Maybe it would be a good idea to create a separate
> > page, that would include a short explanation of the BSD license and
> > what it implies in terms of cost and redistribution policy.

I think this is in general a good idea.  When we merge Advocacy into the main
site it will be less unclear; then the readers will be able to see the
"license" link on the main page.

We could also provide a FAQ regarding what this means for pricing &
distribution.   However, this FAQ would have to end every paragraph with
"consult your attorney," we can't be seen (at least in the US) to be giving
legal advice.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> We have a "license" link right on the main page.  Is that unclear?

It doesn't explain anything, it just dumps the license.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to price/licensing

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > We have a "license" link right on the main page.  Is that unclear?
>
> It doesn't explain anything, it just dumps the license.

Agreed, it needs work.  In fact, I usually tell people the license only
says "don't sue us".

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Agreed, it needs work.  In fact, I usually tell people the license only
> says "don't sue us".

Except that in some jurisdictions, such as where I'm sitting right now,
disclaimers or waivers of the minimal liability and warranty are void.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>>Agreed, it needs work.  In fact, I usually tell people the license only
>>says "don't sue us".
>

> Except that in some jurisdictions, such as where I'm sitting right now,
> disclaimers or waivers of the minimal liability and warranty are void.

I have a suspicion that's true of Australian law also.  Well, at least
it's true for non-software items.

Chris

Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> > Except that in some jurisdictions, such as where I'm sitting right now,
> > disclaimers or waivers of the minimal liability and warranty are void.
>
> I have a suspicion that's true of Australian law also.  Well, at least
> it's true for non-software items.

However, let an Australian or European firm try and sue the PostgreSQL
community ;)

--
Co-Founder
Command Prompt, Inc.