Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to price/licensing - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: advocacy.postgresql.org: page dedicated to price/licensing
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Francois,

> > The question I have to answer the most frequently is about the
> > licensing and pricing policy of PostgreSQL. So although this is what
> > the "Advantages" page starts with on advocacy.postgresql.org, it seems
> > to be insufficient. Maybe it would be a good idea to create a separate
> > page, that would include a short explanation of the BSD license and
> > what it implies in terms of cost and redistribution policy.

I think this is in general a good idea.  When we merge Advocacy into the main
site it will be less unclear; then the readers will be able to see the
"license" link on the main page.

We could also provide a FAQ regarding what this means for pricing &
distribution.   However, this FAQ would have to end every paragraph with
"consult your attorney," we can't be seen (at least in the US) to be giving
legal advice.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions