7.4 Press Release

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Fleshing this out a bit more...

--
The PostgreSQL Global Development Group is pleased to announce the
availability of version 7.4 of the PostgreSQL database management
system. This significant release represents the work of our world wide
network of over 100 developers and contributors over the last 9 months,
building on the unparalleled success of our 7.3 release in November
2002.

Significant advances in the new version include:

        - A complete redesign of error logging and reporting, providing
      developers with an SQL99 compliant mechanism for debugging and
trouble shooting, while at the same time providing users real
      time suggestions on how to avoid error conditions in their
      applications.

        - A redesign of subquery handling with the IN() clause resulting
      in considerable speed improvements.

        - The implementation of SQL99 compliant Information Schema,
      providing developers with database, type, object, and
      configuration information in a standard compliant way.

        - Statement level triggers, enabling developers and users define
      and customized behavior of the database when data is stored and
manipulated.

        - Read only transactions, which bring a greater level of
      security to web and enterprise applications by protecting data
      from modification.

        - Performance improvements to data warehousing functionality.

As well as many, many other features and improvements.

A Timely Release

In making the release, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group had to
balance the large number of features planned for release with a
consistent release cycle, which provides loyal users with enhancements
as quickly as possible. <Insert quote from core developer reinforcing
this>

<Insert quote from user(s) about business critical nature of features
released in this version>

Source for this release is available at:
    http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-ftp.html

More information on PostgreSQL is available in ten languages on the
PostgreSQL Advocacy website:
    http://advocacy.postgresql.org

A complete list of changes in PostgreSQL version 7.3 can be found in the
HISTORY file included with the release, or available on the web at:
    ???

About PostgreSQL:
    With more than 16 years of development by hundreds of the world's
most generous and brilliant minds from the open source community,
PostgreSQL is the world's most advanced open source database. With its
long time support of an enterprise level feature set including
transactions, stored procedures, triggers, and subqueries, PostgreSQL is
being used by many of today's most demanding businesses and government
agencies.

    Corporations such as BASF, Red Hat, Afilias Limited (suporting the
technical back-end of the .org and .info domains), Cisco, Chrysler, and
3Com rely on PostgreSQL's rock solid performance record and open
development process. PostgreSQL is available under a BSD License for
both commercial and non-commercial use.

To find out more about PostgreSQL or to download it, please visit:
    http://www.postgresql.org

--
Questions / Comments:

1) I pulled the 100 developer number from thin air, Greg, can you whip
up some numbers on the number of developers that contributed for this
cycle? (I seem to recall you did this last year)

2) What were the improvements for data warehousing? I don't remember
anything specific to that cause.

3) I'm thinking over chopping the last two features off and grouping
them in with an other features list including
 - Functional indexes have been generalized into expressional indexes
 - Pattern matching operations can use indexes regardless of locale
 - Reimplementation of NUMERIC datatype for more speed
 - New regular expression package, many more regexp features (most of
   Perl5)
 - Object owners can allow grantees to grant the privilege to others
   (grant option)
 - Completely Overhauled and Simplified Documentation

ok well, obviously not with the above wordings, but you get the idea...
any thoughts?

4) Still working on a quote regarding the need to release sooner rather
than later, if anyone has any ideas please speak up.

5) On the quote about biz critical features, Justin, since your closest
to the case studies work, can you dig up some quotes from end users re:
postgresql?  I think we should only include two, but maybe we can get a
half dozen to choose from?

6) Where to put the complete changelog? On the developers site? We need
a place going forward that makes sense for both major and minor
releases...

7) The company list... anyone have anyone new and exciting we could put
in there? Anyone in the global 100 would be great even if you don't
think they are popular..

Robert Treat

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
greg@turnstep.com
Date:

> 1) I pulled the 100 developer number from thin air, Greg, can you whip
> up some numbers on the number of developers that contributed for this
> cycle? (I seem to recall you did this last year)

More difficult this time. I would just say "hundreds" and leave it at that.

The rest of my $0.02:

> The PostgreSQL Global Development Group is pleased to announce the
> availability of version 7.4 of the PostgreSQL database management
> system. This significant release represents the work of our world wide

I'd work the RDBMS acronym in there somehow. Acronyms reassure people. :)

> building on the unparalleled success of our 7.3 release in November 2002.

A little glossy.

> trouble shooting, while at the same time providing users real

"Troubleshooting" is one word.

>                  configuration information in a standard compliant way.

I think this should be either "standard and compliant" or "standards compliant"

>         - Statement level triggers, enabling developers and users define
>                  and customized behavior of the database when data is stored and

Should be "users to define and customize"

> As well as many, many other features and improvements.

Redundant, just say "many"

>         - Performance improvements to data warehousing functionality.

Might want to expand on this a little bit and make it sound more important.
There are some major speedups in the planner/optimizer.
(On rereading, I guess that is covered below).

> A Timely Release
>
> In making the release, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group had to
> balance the large number of features planned for release with a
> consistent release cycle, which provides loyal users with enhancements
> as quickly as possible. <Insert quote from core developer reinforcing
> this>

Too much backpedalling and explaining. Let's just release and promote.

>     http://advocacy.postgresql.org

Should have a trailing slash

> A complete list of changes in PostgreSQL version 7.3 can be found in the

Should be 7.4

> About PostgreSQL:
>     With more than 16 years of development by hundreds of the world's
> most generous and brilliant minds from the open source community,
> PostgreSQL is the world's most advanced open source database. With its
> long time support of an enterprise level feature set including
> transactions, stored procedures, triggers, and subqueries, PostgreSQL is
> being used by many of today's most demanding businesses and government
> agencies.

Very nice.

>     Corporations such as BASF, Red Hat, Afilias Limited (suporting the

"supporting"

> technical back-end of the .org and .info domains), Cisco, Chrysler, and

"back end" - no hyphen

> development process. PostgreSQL is available under a BSD License for
> both commercial and non-commercial use.

Might want a specific link to a licensing page so people can learn about it
and how it differs from others.

>     http://www.postgresql.org

Trailing slash

> 2) What were the improvements for data warehousing? I don't remember
> anything specific to that cause.

If Tom's slides from OSCON are available, this would be a great place to look.

> 3) I'm thinking over chopping the last two features off and grouping
> them in with an other features list including
>  - Functional indexes have been generalized into expressional indexes
>  - Pattern matching operations can use indexes regardless of locale

>  - Reimplementation of NUMERIC datatype for more speed

Too obscure and only reminds people of "slow"

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200307151437

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

>     Corporations such as BASF, Red Hat, Afilias Limited (suporting the
> technical back-end of the .org and .info domains), Cisco, Chrysler, and
> 3Com rely on PostgreSQL's rock solid performance record and open

Are all of these company citations from signed-off case studies or public news
sources?   I haven't seen some of these names on our sites before, and I want
to make sure that we have them from a legal source.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 15:58, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> >     Corporations such as BASF, Red Hat, Afilias Limited (suporting the
> > technical back-end of the .org and .info domains), Cisco, Chrysler, and
> > 3Com rely on PostgreSQL's rock solid performance record and open
>
> Are all of these company citations from signed-off case studies or public news
> sources?   I haven't seen some of these names on our sites before, and I want
> to make sure that we have them from a legal source.

They are all from either case studies, public news sources, or publicly
published information. Note, this is the same list that went out with
7.3

Robert Treat

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Significant advances in the new version include:

Maybe it's only significant to me ;-) but you might want to mention:

- significant enhancements to array data types, including support for
   btree indexes (details below in case you're interested)
- addition of polymorphic function arguments and return types

I think both of these are important for people doing scientific database
applications.

Also the INFORMATION SCHEMA probably deserves a mention.

> Questions / Comments:
>
> 2) What were the improvements for data warehousing? I don't remember
> anything specific to that cause.

Tom's hash aggregates performance improvement relates to data
warehousing applications. The "IN" clause improvements probably do also.
As do "expressional indexes".

>  - Pattern matching operations can use indexes regardless of locale
I know Peter talked about this one, but did it actually make it in to 7.4?

> 6) Where to put the complete changelog? On the developers site? We need
> a place going forward that makes sense for both major and minor
> releases...

There should be a link to the changelog on the download page and the
News item announcing the release, at a minimum.

Joe

I sent this to Bruce about a week ago:
Array and polymorphic functions: 7.4 Release Notes
1. Support for aggregate, SQL, PLpgSQL, and C language polymorphic
    functions:
    Polymorphic functions are those that accept as arguments,
    and optionally return, the data types ANYARRAY and ANYELEMENT,
    otherwise known as polymorphic types. These datatypes are "tied" to
    each other and resolved to an actual type at runtime. Each position
    (i.e. either argument or return type) defined as ANYELEMENT can have
    any data type at runtime, but they must all be the same runtime
    type. Each position defined as ANYARRAY can have any array data type
    at runtime, but similarly they must all be the same. If there are
    positions declared ANYARRAY and others declared ANYELEMENT, the
    runtime array type in the ANYARRAY positions must be an array of
    the runtime type at the ANYELEMENT positions.

2. Array expression syntax:
    Arrays may now be specified using the keyword ARRAY, followed by
    square brackets ("[" and "]") around a list of elements.
    Multidimensional arrays may be specified by nesting array
    expressions. In that case, the keyword ARRAY is optional for all
    but the outer dimension. Examples:
      ARRAY[1,2,3]
      ARRAY[['a','b'],['c','d']]
      ARRAY[ARRAY[ARRAY[2]]]

3. Modified array equality ("=") operator:
    array equality operator now applies the array element type's
    equality operator, element-by-element, instead of doing a
    byte-by-byte comparison

4. New array operators:
    "||" array-to-array concatenation (ARRAY[1,2,3] || ARRAY[4,5,6])
    "||" array-to-array concat (ARRAY[1,2,3]||ARRAY[[4,5,6],[7,8,9]])
    "||" element-to-array concatenation (3 || ARRAY[4,5,6])
    "||" array-to-element concatenation (ARRAY[4,5,6] || 7)
    "<" array less than array
    ">" array greater than array
    "<=" array less than or equal to array
    ">=" array greater than or equal to array
    "!=" array not equal to array

5. btree index and ordering support for arrays:
    Array columns may now have btree indexes built on them, and they
    may be included in ORDER BY and DISTINCT clauses.

6. New array handling functions:
    array_append  (anyarray, anyelement) returns anyarray
      append an element to the end of an array
    array_cat (anyarray, anyarray) returns anyarray
      concatenate two arrays
    array_lower (anyarray, integer) returns integer
      returns lower bound of the requested array dimension
    array_prepend (anyelement, anyarray) returns anyarray
      append an element to the beginning of an array
    array_to_string (anyarray, text) returns text
      concatenates array elements using provided delimiter
    array_upper (anyarray, integer) returns integer
      returns upper bound of the requested array dimension
    string_to_array (text, text) returns text[]
      splits string into array elements using provided delimiter

7. expression operator ANY|SOME|ALL (array expression):
    The right-hand side is a parenthesized expression, which must yield
    an array value. The left-hand expression is evaluated and compared
    to each element of the array using the given operator, which must
    yield a Boolean result.
      - The result of ANY is "true" if any true result is obtained. The
        result is "false" if no true result is found (including the
        special case where the array has zero elements).
      - SOME is a synonym for ANY.
      - The result of ALL is "true" if all comparisons yield true
        (including the special case where the array has zero elements).
         The result is "false" if any false result is found.

8. empty array element and slice assignment:
    It is now possible to add an element to an empty array via array
    element assignment, or add multiple array elements to an empty array
    via the array slice syntax. Example:

      create table t (f1 int, f2 int[]);
      insert into t values(1,'{}');
      update t set f2[2][4][6] = 42 where f1 = 1;
      insert into t values(2,'{}');
      update t set f2[2:4] = ARRAY[42,43,44] where f1 = 2;
      regression=# select * from t;
       f1 |     f2
      ----+------------
        1 | {{{42}}}
        2 | {42,43,44}
      (2 rows)

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 15 July 2003 06:46 pm, Joe Conway wrote:
> > 6) Where to put the complete changelog? On the developers site? We need
> > a place going forward that makes sense for both major and minor
> > releases...
>
> There should be a link to the changelog on the download page and the
> News item announcing the release, at a minimum.

Oh, for sure we are going to put the links up, I'm trying to figure out where
those links should point to..

> I sent this to Bruce about a week ago:
> Array and polymorphic functions: 7.4 Release Notes
<snip>

uh, a little too technical for this release ;-)

-- updated version --

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group is pleased to announce the
availability of version 7.4 of the PostgreSQL relational database management
system (RDBMS). This significant release represents the work of our world wide
network of over 100 developers and contributors over the last 9 months,
building on the unparalleled success of our 7.3 release in November
2002.

Significant advances in the new version include:

        - A complete redesign of error logging and reporting, providing
          developers with an SQL99 compliant mechanism for debugging and
          troubleshooting, while at the same time providing users real
          time suggestions on how to avoid error conditions in their
          applications.

        - A redesign of subquery handling with the IN() clause resulting
          in considerable speed improvements.

        - The implementation of SQL99 compliant Information Schema,
          providing developers with database, type, object, and
          configuration information in a standards compliant way.

        - Statement level triggers, enabling developers and users to define
          and customized behavior of the database when data is stored and
          manipulated.

        - Read only transactions, which bring a greater level of
          security to web and enterprise applications by protecting data
          from modification.

    Other improvements include:
        - Performance improvements to data warehousing functionality.
    - Enhanced implementation of functional indexes
    - Addition of polymorphic function arguments and return types
    - SQL99 complient INFORMATION SCHEMA
    - Significant enhancements to array data types
    - Completly overhauled and simplified documentation

As well as many other features and improvements.

[...]

    Corporations such as BASF, Red Hat, Afilias Limited (supporting the
technical back end of the .org and .info domains), Cisco, Chrysler, and
3Com rely on PostgreSQL's rock solid performance record and open
development process. PostgreSQL is available under a BSD License for
both commercial and non-commercial use.

To find out more about PostgreSQL or to download it, please visit:
    http://www.postgresql.org/

--
Questions/Comments:

1. Should we drop the "A timely release" paragraph?

2. Need end - user quotes

3. Need a URL for the changelog

4. Still looking for new companies

5. no mention of replication untill the discussion finishes on -hackers.

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
elein
Date:
You are mentioning polymorphic functions
under "Other improvements Include".
I think you should also mention the enhanced
array processing. IMHO.  People who have given
up on the difficulty of array processing will
be jazzed.

elein

Date:
On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 23:04, elein wrote:
> You are mentioning polymorphic functions
> under "Other improvements Include".
> I think you should also mention the enhanced
> array processing. IMHO.  People who have given
> up on the difficulty of array processing will
> be jazzed.
>
> elein
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:45:26PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> >
> >     Other improvements include:
> >         - Performance improvements to data warehousing functionality.
> >     - Enhanced implementation of functional indexes
> >     - Addition of polymorphic function arguments and return types
> >     - SQL99 complient INFORMATION SCHEMA
> >     - Significant enhancements to array data types
> >     - Completly overhauled and simplified documentation

"- Significant enhancements to array data types"

do you want different wording than the above?

- Significant enhancements to array data types and array processing

Robert Treat

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> uh, a little too technical for this release ;-)

Yeah, I knew that. I just wanted to give you the details so you would
understand what was behind my bullets.

>         - Read only transactions, which bring a greater level of
>           security to web and enterprise applications by protecting data
>           from modification.

Hmmm, somehow I missed this change. How is it used?

>     Other improvements include:
>         - Performance improvements to data warehousing functionality.
Now that I read this again, it isn't clear what "data warehousing"
*functionality* we've added. What are some examples? Perhaps "data
warehousing related performance improvements"?

>     - Enhanced implementation of functional indexes
>     - Addition of polymorphic function arguments and return types
>     - SQL99 complient INFORMATION SCHEMA
This one already has a main paragraph above, so it is redundant here.
Sorry if I missed that the first time.

Joe

Re: 7.4 Press Release

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Joe Conway wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
> > uh, a little too technical for this release ;-)
>
> Yeah, I knew that. I just wanted to give you the details so you would
> understand what was behind my bullets.
>
> >         - Read only transactions, which bring a greater level of
> >           security to web and enterprise applications by protecting data
> >           from modification.
>
> Hmmm, somehow I missed this change. How is it used?

START TRANSACTION ... READ ONLY
SET TRANSACTION ... READ ONLY

I missed it too. I pulled the reference out of HISTORY and padded. Its a
very useful feature on other database systems, particularly when READ
UNCOMMITTED is also implemented.

Gavin

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
People,

May I point out that we are 9 days from release?   Let's get cracking.
Especially since we need to give the translators time to do their version!

Can someone post the current version of the release draft?

I will handle e-mailing the press.   My current target list is:

Stephen    Shankland    senior staff writer    CNET News.com
Todd    Weiss    General Assignment Reporter    Computerworld newspaper
Nina    Lytton    Editor    Crossroads OSA
Daniel    Fishman    Contributing Editor    Database Trends & Applicatoins
Malcolm    Dean    Editor    DesktopLinux.com
Scot    Petersen    News Editor    eWEEK
Peter    Weissenstein    Freelancer    Freelancer
Stephen    Diamond    Micro View Editor    IEEE Micro Magazine
Steve    Gillmore    Test Center Director    InfoWorld
Jacqueline    Emigh    Correspondent    Internet.com
Mike    Cassidy    Managing Partner    ISPortal
Takaaki    Higuchi    Secretary General    Japan Linux Association
George    Pajari    Correspondent    LinuxGram
Reg    Charney    Contributing Editor    Linux Journal
Heather    Mead    Senior Editor    Linux Journal
JASON    PERLOW    SR. TECHNOLOGY EDITOR    LINUX MAGAZINE
Mike    Angelo    Editor Analyst    MozilloQuest Magazine
Jim    Sumser    Editor    OReilly and Associates
Tom    McLoughlin    newsleter editor    San Francisco PC Users Group
James    McHugh    Contributing Editor    SF ACM SIGGRAPH
George    Mattathil    Analyst    Silicon Valley Business Ink
John    Cargile    Managing Editor    Software Business Magazine
Andrew    Binstock    Contributing Editor    Software Development Times
Elizabeth    Heiny    Reporter    TuxReports
Todd    Volz    Associate Editor    ZDNet Tech Update

... plus self-post on Newsforge.

Please look this over to see if there's anyone we should add or who isn't in
the list.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 15:16, Josh Berkus wrote:
> People,
>
> May I point out that we are 9 days from release?

uh... ?

Robert Treat

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> ... plus self-post on Newsforge.
>
> Please look this over to see if there's anyone we should add or who isn't in
> the list.

That was a list of places to post a release announcement to? Please
don't forget to update Freshmeat, self-post on Slashdot (both have been
missed in the past), and SourceForge (project pgsql).

Attachment

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

From
Sean Chittenden
Date:
> Please look this over to see if there's anyone we should add or who
> isn't in the list.

register.co.uk, daemonnews.org, bsdnews.org, freebsddiary.org,
bsdatwork.com, freshmeat.net, and slashdot.org.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> People,
>
> May I point out that we are 9 days from release?   Let's get cracking.

Ummm, shouldn't we go to beta *before* release? :)

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> > May I point out that we are 9 days from release?   Let's get cracking.
>
> Ummm, shouldn't we go to beta *before* release? :)

We didn't go beta on the 15th?   I was out of the country ... what happened?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

Date:
Tom and I got delayed by the conferences, and the email deluge after
that.

The problem is that we went away, but PostgreSQL kept going.

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > > May I point out that we are 9 days from release?   Let's get cracking.
> >
> > Ummm, shouldn't we go to beta *before* release? :)
> >

> We didn't go beta on the 15th?   I was out of the country ... what happened?
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

For the press release: is pg_autovacuum new to 7.4?   That's a feature
definitely worth announcing.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: 7.4 Press Release --ASAP!

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For the press release: is pg_autovacuum new to 7.4?   That's a feature
> definitely worth announcing.

Yes, new.