Website questions/conserns

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
Although this may not be the best list for this, I thought it might be a good
place to start.

In resent months,  I have developed a few concerns with the website, these
stem off of the content no longer being mirrored.  This is leading us down
the path of single point of failure. I'm fully aware that the new site is now
heavily database driven and there for the old method of rsync is not really
an option anymore, however why can't we alter the requirement of the
PostgreSQL mirrors to now include a running PostgreSQL in addition to php.
Setup multi-slave replication and make use of the data available from
http://ip-to-country.directi.com/ to help spread the load around on the
mirrors.

Any other thoughts on this matter?

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

Re: Website questions/conserns

From
Jean-Luc Lachance
Date:
Darcy,

The website database is a bit unreliable.
I am from Canada and it said I was from the United-States...

JLL

Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
>[...] PostgreSQL mirrors to now include a running PostgreSQL in addition to php.
> Setup multi-slave replication and make use of the data available from
> http://ip-to-country.directi.com/ to help spread the load around on the
> mirrors.

Re: Website questions/conserns

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I'm not following you, the website is mirrored:
http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-www.html

there is still an issue of mirroring the documentation, which is
currently being worked on and should be happening relatively soon.

we also have an issue for the mirror sites all using postgresql.org
domain names, which means that a problem with the hub of things causes
trouble with everyone else. we need to get some secondary dns servers
setup, i know we've had volunteers but the work hasn't been done yet.

Are you thinking of something else?

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 14:03, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> Although this may not be the best list for this, I thought it might be a good
> place to start.
>
> In resent months,  I have developed a few concerns with the website, these
> stem off of the content no longer being mirrored.  This is leading us down
> the path of single point of failure. I'm fully aware that the new site is now
> heavily database driven and there for the old method of rsync is not really
> an option anymore, however why can't we alter the requirement of the
> PostgreSQL mirrors to now include a running PostgreSQL in addition to php.
> Setup multi-slave replication and make use of the data available from
> http://ip-to-country.directi.com/ to help spread the load around on the
> mirrors.
>
> Any other thoughts on this matter?
>

> --
> Darcy Buskermolen
> Wavefire Technologies Corp.
> ph: 250.717.0200
> fx:  250.763.1759
> http://www.wavefire.com

Re: Website questions/conserns

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> I'm not following you, the website is mirrored:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-www.html
>
> there is still an issue of mirroring the documentation, which is
> currently being worked on and should be happening relatively soon.
>
> we also have an issue for the mirror sites all using postgresql.org
> domain names, which means that a problem with the hub of things causes
> trouble with everyone else. we need to get some secondary dns servers
> setup, i know we've had volunteers but the work hasn't been done yet.

Actually, we do have secondary DNS servers setup already ... but if the
main zone file gets hosed and the secondary pulls down that hosed file, it
doesn't do any good now, does it? :)  No amount of redundancy in DNS can
compensate for that ...

Re: Website questions/conserns

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
My applogies to all..

My information was a bit out of date, last time I looked on disk of my local
mirror all that was available for www.postgresql.orf was bruces's docs and
index.html (which was a redirect to www.postgresql.org).   Guess this teaches
me for speeking before I check on the current state of affairs........

--

Date:
On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 17:30, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
> > we also have an issue for the mirror sites all using postgresql.org
> > domain names, which means that a problem with the hub of things causes
> > trouble with everyone else. we need to get some secondary dns servers
> > setup, i know we've had volunteers but the work hasn't been done yet.
>
> Actually, we do have secondary DNS servers setup already ... but if the
> main zone file gets hosed and the secondary pulls down that hosed file, it
> doesn't do any good now, does it? :)  No amount of redundancy in DNS can
> compensate for that ...

No it can't :-)  Who's running the secondary DNS servers? Larry? Greg?
I'm just wondering where they are located.

Robert Treat

greg@turnstep.com
Date:

Re: Website questions/conserns

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
Yes there are 2ndary's out of hub's space.  I run 2 of them:

$ dig @ns-a.lerctr.org postgresql.org ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns-a.lerctr.org postgresql.org ns
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 3
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      postgresql.org, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
postgresql.org.         5M IN NS        ns-a.lerctr.org.
postgresql.org.         5M IN NS        ns-b.lerctr.org.
postgresql.org.         5M IN NS        ns.hub.org.
postgresql.org.         5M IN NS        ns2.hub.org.
postgresql.org.         5M IN NS        ns3.hub.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns-a.lerctr.org.        1D IN A         192.147.25.11
ns-a.lerctr.org.        1D IN A         207.158.72.11
ns-b.lerctr.org.        1D IN A         207.158.72.45

;; Total query time: 30 msec
;; FROM: lerlaptop-red.iadfw.net to SERVER: 207.158.72.11
;; WHEN: Tue Jul 22 14:13:41 2003
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 32  rcvd: 182

$

They just aren't in the roots.

Marc: Can we update the registrations to show me in the roots as well?

LER

--On Tuesday, July 22, 2003 19:10:15 +0000 greg@turnstep.com wrote:

Re: Website questions/conserns

From