Fundraising

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Hey,

If we were able to raise funds for PostgreSQL advocacy, how would we use the
money?   Trade shows?  T-shirts?  Lobbying?  Feature development?

Or would we not have a use for advocacy $$$?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Fundraising

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Hey,
>
> If we were able to raise funds for PostgreSQL advocacy, how would we use the
> money?   Trade shows?  T-shirts?  Lobbying?  Feature development?
>
> Or would we not have a use for advocacy $$$?

Hmmm.... I'd go for "user education" (potential and present users),
paying for airfares of representatives to conferences and other
important meetings, traditional marketing, and possibly "official"
compliance testing/certification of PostgreSQL to various standards.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Fundraising

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
I just want to say something on that topic!!

Maybe somebody is working some certification exams or standard training
courses out for postgresql
admin,programmer,pl/pgsql ....

There are many certifications but I'm thinking of a worldwide standard
certification like oracle has in the academy

This exams are given to some "certified" companies that they can give
this exam/course whatever
and maybe 10% of the certification cost goes directly in some fund that
is sponsoring postgresql development.
so much can be achieved.

Or to make it real heavy. Creating an organisation like
http://www.spi-inc.org/ is for debian but only for postgresql development.

I'm thinking of this for a while.
The important thing in this matter is a worldwide aceptable
certification that is recognized by the whoile community/business!!

regards Ewald Geschwinde

Justin Clift wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> If we were able to raise funds for PostgreSQL advocacy, how would we
>> use the money?   Trade shows?  T-shirts?  Lobbying?  Feature
>> development?
>>
>> Or would we not have a use for advocacy $$$?
>

> Hmmm.... I'd go for "user education" (potential and present users),
> paying for airfares of representatives to conferences and other
> important meetings, traditional marketing, and possibly "official"
> compliance testing/certification of PostgreSQL to various standards.
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Fundraising

From
"Merlin Moncure"

Josh Berkus wrote:

Hey,

If we were able to raise funds for PostgreSQL advocacy, how would we use
the
money?   Trade shows?  T-shirts?  Lobbying?  Feature development?

Or would we not have a use for advocacy $$$?

--

Secure 19.55m in commercial investment and schedule a fact finding trip
to Cancun.

Merlin

Re: Fundraising

From
elein
Date:
We should not have a use for advocacy $$$.
The only thing I can think of is for printing collateral,
however, web publishing should be adequate.

This is a non-profit, volunteer thing.  Many people
are anxious to "give back" in a lot of different ways.
Grass roots advocacy is the open source way.
We need to keep providing techies, who know what
we can do, fodder to pull management toward PostgreSQL.

If we have gew-gaws like tshirts they should be
sold for cost.  (Hey, how about a button/pin
that says "PostgreSQL Advocate". )

elein

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 23:03, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hey,
>
> If we were able to raise funds for PostgreSQL advocacy, how would we use the
> money?   Trade shows?  T-shirts?  Lobbying?  Feature development?
>
> Or would we not have a use for advocacy $$$?
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

elein@varlena.com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits    http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
   "Free your mind the rest will follow" -- en vogue

Re: Fundraising

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Elein,

> We should not have a use for advocacy $$$.
> The only thing I can think of is for printing collateral,
> however, web publishing should be adequate.

What about Trade Shows & conventions?   For example there was a major OSS
convention in Brazil last month, and they would have been thrilled to have a
member of the CORE there if we could have flown anyone.

Or, for that matter, printing CDs and brochures to hand/mail to the
press/conventioneers?  IME, they really, really like this stuff even if they
could just download it.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Fundraising

Date:
I have been lucky to get the convention sponsors to pay for all my
trips, but I am not sure that will always be true.  In fact, my LinuxTag
trip in July is being paid for by a PostgreSQL support company in
Germany because the sponsors don't have any money.

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein,
>
> > We should not have a use for advocacy $$$.
> > The only thing I can think of is for printing collateral,
> > however, web publishing should be adequate.
>
> What about Trade Shows & conventions?   For example there was a major OSS
> convention in Brazil last month, and they would have been thrilled to have a
> member of the CORE there if we could have flown anyone.
>
> Or, for that matter, printing CDs and brochures to hand/mail to the
> press/conventioneers?  IME, they really, really like this stuff even if they
> could just download it.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Fundraising

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
The first place donations should go is to defray the costs of hosting the
postgresql project (www.postgresql.org, bruce's candle site, etc...)

Once those things are payed for THEN the extra money can be used for
marketing efforts, but in my opinion, the first place to spend any
donations is on defraying the costs that folks have incurred for hosting /
bandwidth

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, elein wrote:

> We should not have a use for advocacy $$$.
> The only thing I can think of is for printing collateral,
> however, web publishing should be adequate.
>
> This is a non-profit, volunteer thing.  Many people
> are anxious to "give back" in a lot of different ways.
> Grass roots advocacy is the open source way.
> We need to keep providing techies, who know what
> we can do, fodder to pull management toward PostgreSQL.
>
> If we have gew-gaws like tshirts they should be
> sold for cost.  (Hey, how about a button/pin
> that says "PostgreSQL Advocate". )
>
> elein
>
> On Wednesday 25 June 2003 23:03, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > If we were able to raise funds for PostgreSQL advocacy, how would we use the
> > money?   Trade shows?  T-shirts?  Lobbying?  Feature development?
> >
> > Or would we not have a use for advocacy $$$?
> >
> > --
> > Josh Berkus
> > Aglio Database Solutions
> > San Francisco

> >                http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Fundraising

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Scott,

> The first place donations should go is to defray the costs of hosting the
> postgresql project (www.postgresql.org, bruce's candle site, etc...)
>
> Once those things are payed for THEN the extra money can be used for
> marketing efforts, but in my opinion, the first place to spend any
> donations is on defraying the costs that folks have incurred for hosting /
> bandwidth

*grin*  Marc will be glad to hear that.

Paying for hosting/bandwidth is not currently a problem; we are doing OK
money-wise and Marc has assured me that our catastrophic e-mail outage will
be the last (the outage happened in part due to upgrades intended to improve
stability + backup, which are finished now).

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Fundraising

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Or, for that matter, printing CDs and brochures to hand/mail to the
> press/conventioneers?  IME, they really, really like this stuff even if they
> could just download it.

Is there an official CD cover, brochure, label, etc.?  When I install
PostgreSQL or recommend it it would be nice to stick a CD into their
hands.  Heck I'd like to make a few up to pass out at user group meetings.

Rod

Re: Fundraising

From
Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
Date:
Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Or, for that matter, printing CDs and brochures to hand/mail to the
>>press/conventioneers?  IME, they really, really like this stuff even if they
>>could just download it.
>>

>Is there an official CD cover, brochure, label, etc.?  When I install
>PostgreSQL or recommend it it would be nice to stick a CD into their
>hands.  Heck I'd like to make a few up to pass out at user group meetings.

Yes, it would be very nice to have such things available for donwload.

--
Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br

Re: Fundraising

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rod,

> Is there an official CD cover, brochure, label, etc.?  When I install
> PostgreSQL or recommend it it would be nice to stick a CD into their
> hands.  Heck I'd like to make a few up to pass out at user group meetings.

Nope.  Wanna volunteer?   For distributability, please use an OSS drawing tool
... like OpenOffice.org Draw or Kontour.

You'll need to start by creating a better "Elephant" logo.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Fundraising

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Nope.  Wanna volunteer?   For distributability, please use an OSS drawing tool
> ... like OpenOffice.org Draw or Kontour.

Of course.  OpenOffice.Org - go figure eh?

> You'll need to start by creating a better "Elephant" logo.

I'll try to find a graphical type person (anyone on this list?).  My back
ground is drafting.  Didn't we go through this logo discussion a year or
so ago?

Rod

Re: Fundraising

From
elein
Date:
I understand you like OpenOffice, but a logo should be in
a widely useable format.  It should be a gif, jpg or png.

OpenOffice can import these types, can't it?

elein

Date:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, elein wrote:

> I understand you like OpenOffice, but a logo should be in
> a widely useable format.  It should be a gif, jpg or png.
>
> OpenOffice can import these types, can't it?

Import or export.  I think the idea was for the CD label, insert, and/or
brochure to be in OOo format.  My preferences for the logo would be png
then jpeg.  I avoid gif as much as possible.

Rod

Re: Fundraising

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Elein, Rod:

> Import or export.  I think the idea was for the CD label, insert, and/or
> brochure to be in OOo format.  My preferences for the logo would be png
> then jpeg.  I avoid gif as much as possible.

Correct ... I was talking about the CD cover, not the logo.

BTW, the patent on GIF expires sometime real soon (i.e within the month), or
has already expired, which will actually make it a safer format than png,
which could still run afoul of a hidden patent.  Ironic, hey?

If our volunteer (anybody?  Bueller?) doesn't like OOo Draw for making CD
covers, then you could use Kontour, which is another OSS vector-drawing
program.  I'd love to provide SXD-format labels from OOo project, but can't
seem to locate any -- only the finished products in PNG.

The idea is that whatever format we use, it should be something that anyone in
our community can read and modify, without needing to re-create from scratch
in order to change the text, or to purchase expensive proprietary software.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Fundraising

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Sunday 29 Jun 2003 7:47 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein, Rod:
> > Import or export.  I think the idea was for the CD label, insert, and/or
> > brochure to be in OOo format.  My preferences for the logo would be png
> > then jpeg.  I avoid gif as much as possible.
>
> Correct ... I was talking about the CD cover, not the logo.
>
> BTW, the patent on GIF expires sometime real soon (i.e within the month),
> or has already expired, which will actually make it a safer format than
> png, which could still run afoul of a hidden patent.  Ironic, hey?

Not so fast there citizen - iirc the patent on LZW as it applies to image
compression expired the other day. There might still be a patent covering the
use of white and black pixels to simulate gray somewhere.

> If our volunteer (anybody?  Bueller?) doesn't like OOo Draw for making CD
> covers, then you could use Kontour, which is another OSS vector-drawing
> program.  I'd love to provide SXD-format labels from OOo project, but can't
> seem to locate any -- only the finished products in PNG.
>
> The idea is that whatever format we use, it should be something that anyone
> in our community can read and modify, without needing to re-create from
> scratch in order to change the text, or to purchase expensive proprietary
> software.

Something readable in OOo would be nice - does Kontour run on Windows on
cygwin? What about the mac?

I'd think the funding money would be well spent on a professionally designer
to come up with templates for some standard handouts. Might not be cheap
though, especially since we'd need to consider internationalisation issues.

--
  Richard Huxton

Re: Fundraising

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
Is there something that can create .ps files?  That's pretty portable,
plus it doesn't have the issues with pixelazation when scaled larger /
smaller.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, elein wrote:

> I understand you like OpenOffice, but a logo should be in
> a widely useable format.  It should be a gif, jpg or png.
>
> OpenOffice can import these types, can't it?
>
> elein
>
> On Friday 27 June 2003 13:12, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Rod,
> >
> > > Is there an official CD cover, brochure, label, etc.?  When I install
> > > PostgreSQL or recommend it it would be nice to stick a CD into their
> > > hands.  Heck I'd like to make a few up to pass out at user group meetings.
> >
> > Nope.  Wanna volunteer?   For distributability, please use an OSS drawing tool
> > ... like OpenOffice.org Draw or Kontour.
> >
> > You'll need to start by creating a better "Elephant" logo.
> >
> > --
> > -Josh Berkus
> >  Aglio Database Solutions
> >  San Francisco

Re: Fundraising

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
On Monday 30 June 2003 18:04, scott.marlowe wrote:
> Is there something that can create .ps files?  That's pretty portable,
> plus it doesn't have the issues with pixelazation when scaled larger /
> smaller.

Well, you can work in any format and just print it to a postscript printer.
Ask it to print it to a file. You get a postscript file..:-)

All unices support ps file printing. And there is a free postscript printer
driver for windows as well. It is from adobe.

Of course, like pdf, postscript is a publishing only format. Keep that in
mind. ( Well most of the times..)

 Shridhar

Re: Fundraising

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Scott,

> Is there something that can create .ps files?  That's pretty portable,
> plus it doesn't have the issues with pixelazation when scaled larger /
> smaller.

Just about anything we would use could create PS files.  The issue is what
format the label is designed in; we need to have the "source" file for the
design, not just the "binary", and if the design is in PSD (photoshop) that
sorta prevents us Linux users from helping with it.

Sounds like a vote for OOo, but this is a moot point if nobody wants to do the
design.  I'd do it if I weren't leaving the country next week ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Fundraising

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
On Monday 30 June 2003 20:39, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Sounds like a vote for OOo, but this is a moot point if nobody wants to do
> the design.  I'd do it if I weren't leaving the country next week ...

What would it take to do that? I am not an artist but if you could describe it
enough, might bribe a friend to do that..:-)

 Shridhar

Re: Fundraising

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Sounds like a vote for OOo, but this is a moot point if nobody wants to do the
> design.  I'd do it if I weren't leaving the country next week ...

I'm on it, unless you'd prefer someone else.  I'm not an artist but I can
copy and paste and have done technical drafting and drawing.  I also have
access to those artistic types (in fact I've got a submission from the
list by someone already - Cornelia set them to me. :-)

When I get a few together I can post them on the web for 'voting'.

Let me know if you want me to continue.  One way or the other I'll put a
OOo template together for a couple of CD labels I've used.  In fact I was
working on them for the FreeGIS CD so I'll get two birds with one stone.

Rod

Re: Fundraising

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rod,

> I'm on it, unless you'd prefer someone else.

You're "da man."  Go for it.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Fundraising

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, scott.marlowe wrote:

> The first place donations should go is to defray the costs of hosting the
> postgresql project (www.postgresql.org, bruce's candle site, etc...)
>
> Once those things are payed for THEN the extra money can be used for
> marketing efforts, but in my opinion, the first place to spend any
> donations is on defraying the costs that folks have incurred for hosting /
> bandwidth

Personally, as one that is 'incurring the costs' ... I'd rather see such
funding go towards better visibility at conferences and such ... even if
its not a CORE developer being flown in, there are costs involved such as
getting signage printed, and a decent booth setup ... an Advocacy fund
should be *exactly* that ... a fund to help cover the costs of advocacy
and promotion ...

Re: Fundraising

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Rod,
>
> > Is there an official CD cover, brochure, label, etc.?  When I install
> > PostgreSQL or recommend it it would be nice to stick a CD into their
> > hands.  Heck I'd like to make a few up to pass out at user group meetings.
>
> Nope.  Wanna volunteer?   For distributability, please use an OSS drawing tool
> ... like OpenOffice.org Draw or Kontour.
>
> You'll need to start by creating a better "Elephant" logo.

Don't change the logo yet again ... the one we have now is nice and clean

Re: Fundraising

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > You'll need to start by creating a better "Elephant" logo.
>
> Don't change the logo yet again ... the one we have now is nice and clean

As I was considering how/what to change I realized that there is some
history and I can't remember how the story went.  I had a site that used
the cheetah (panther?) logo.  I remember the elephant coming to be but not
the circumstances.

I'll stick with getting a CD label, insert, and/or brochure ready (with
room for the official logo. :-)

Rod

Re: Fundraising

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> > > You'll need to start by creating a better "Elephant" logo.
> >
> > Don't change the logo yet again ... the one we have now is nice and clean
>
> As I was considering how/what to change I realized that there is some
> history and I can't remember how the story went.  I had a site that used
> the cheetah (panther?) logo.  I remember the elephant coming to be but not
> the circumstances.

Yeech ... the Cheetah was a *very* short lived thing almost 5 years ago
now ...

Re: Fundraising

From
Jeff
Date:
On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:17:24PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Yeech ... the Cheetah was a *very* short lived thing almost 5 years ago
> now ...

is there a page that docuements this history? I collect links about internet
history on my BBS (err.. website.. whatever the term is now), and I am
interested in these types of topics.

I happen to think the elephant is a *much* better choice than a cheetah..
speed isn't *everything* you know :)

the link to the "Internet History SIG" is:
http://zoidtechnologies.com/sig.php?mode=browse&id=109
if you want to look at what I already have.

regards,
|| Jeff - http://zoidtechnologies.com/
|| GNUPG Fingerprint: A607 0F19 7C75 1305 67E4  BDFF 26BD 606E 3517 2A42

Re: Fundraising

From
Elein Mustain
Date:
Both ingres and postgres at UCBerkeley had a turtle mascot.

--elein

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 06:54:26PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> > > You'll need to start by creating a better "Elephant" logo.
> >
> > Don't change the logo yet again ... the one we have now is nice and clean
>
> As I was considering how/what to change I realized that there is some
> history and I can't remember how the story went.  I had a site that used
> the cheetah (panther?) logo.  I remember the elephant coming to be but not
> the circumstances.
>
> I'll stick with getting a CD label, insert, and/or brochure ready (with
> room for the official logo. :-)
>

> Rod
> --
>   "Open Source Software - Sometimes you get more than you paid for..."

Re: Fundraising

Date:
PHP is sometimes using an Elephant, though I think they are moving awy
from that.  They say the letters PHP look like an elephant.